Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Footpath conditions

Options
  • 07-12-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭

There are a few footpaths around town that are particularly lethal at the moment. Thought that a thread warning people might be good (and it might encourage the businesses just inside to chuck down a bit of salt in order to save their customers limbs!)

To start with:

Outside the newsagent on the corner of Francis and Mary Sts ... Mr justMary reports lots of black ice yesterday and today.

Mary St, between Charcoal Grill and the fruit and vegie shop: there's a leak in the guttering, so some serious icicles grow on the building and on the footpath below..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The main Headford Rd/Woodquay path from the turn up to Roches opp the Dyke Rd into Woodquay itself is treacherous at the moment. I had to turn back half way it was so bad. Lidl carpark isnt the best either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

pretty mcuh all of the rahoon/shantalla road(s) are slippy atm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I almost absolutely milled myself walking down Bishop O'Donnel from Gleann Dara to Fine Wines. I actually have no idea how I didn't hit the deck, I was all over the place. Huge line of stationary cars there as well, must have been some sight.

At least if you're with mates you can have a laugh about it, when you're my yourself you just need to get out of there as fast as possible... which is a bit of a vicious cycle really..

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Galwayps

Newcastle Road from Tesco Xpress to Cookes Corner = lethal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just walked from NUIG into town... the footpaths are absolutely lethal! Opposite the cathedral is especially bad.

Does the city council have any plans for gritting/salting footpaths? If they left a batch of these boyos at locations around the city I'd happy spread it as I walked! :p

582304.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

foto joe wrote: »
    Just walked from NUIG into town... the footpaths are absolutely lethal! Opposite the cathedral is especially bad.

Does the city council have any plans for gritting/salting footpaths? If they left a batch of these boyos at locations around the city I'd happy spread it as I walked! :p

I thought Galway was bad until I finally got back to work in Athlone and see we've got off light enough. Lumps of compacted ice on the footpaths which has now really smooth, nearly broke my neck getting the short distance from the bus to the college. I don't recall severe conditions like this ever before.

The ice this time is definitely worse than January. Last time you could find some spot to steady yourself with one foot but this time there is no 'sticking' ground at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ehh... a lot of the footpath on dyke road is bad.

Oh, and don't even attempt to take the shortcut up onto the quincentennial bridge off the dyke road, it's completely iced over... and at a fair angle, could lead to much pain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Be assertive fellow pedestrians!
    If your designated way is hazardous, then step onto the road and make haste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

I should point out that if a footpath is dangerous then you have the right to walk along the side of the road- just make damned sure you are highly visible (reflective materials agogo).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

The main Headford Rd/Woodquay path from the turn up to Roches opp the Dyke Rd into Woodquay itself is treacherous at the moment. I had to turn back half way it was so bad. Lidl carpark isnt the best either.

Dyke Road! What county is that road in? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I should point out that if a footpath is dangerous then you have the right to walk along the side of the road- just make damned sure you are highly visible (reflective materials agogo).

Not like the muppet who was walking in the middle of the Deane Roundabout at 5:30 the other evening. Dressed all in black :eek:

Get back on the footpath or wear something bright so drivers can see you!!!

CC

The walk from Lurgan Park to the Merlin Shop is pretty much just sheer ice. Be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I slid about 10 feet down the street on the flat of my back in the Wellpark estate last night. Dangerous spot that didn't thaw, as it's in the shade. The path is like a short section of a speed skating track.

Advertisement