Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help needed to rescue floppy

• 07-12-2010 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

i have a very old floppy with a file saved in desktop publishing format, not sure what DTP prog.

When i try to open it on a xp home sp 3 laptop I get No ID Address Mark Found on Floppy Disk.I have vgoogled that term but not found much that applies. Other floppy disks open so must be disk.

I have tried xcopy /e a: c:\floppy but does not work. That is the X Copy prompt. What is copy prompt?

I am trying bad copy pro evaluation but it does not look good

Is there any way i can image/copy the floppy when not being able to access it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Have you tried booting to DOS and accessing the floppy from there? Perhaps if you are able to access it via MS-DOS you could copy the file to your system disk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

CTU_Agent wrote: »
    Have you tried booting to DOS and accessing the floppy from there? Perhaps if you are able to access it via MS-DOS you could copy the file to your system disk?
    no i haven't. you cannot boot to DOS in XP can you?
    can something like acronis image a floppy it cannot access?

you will need an MSDOS startup disk. Or a bootdisk of some sort. Check out Bootdisk.com for instructions.

Command Prompt is like a window into DOS from your MS Windows GUI. Not quite the same as booting in MSDOS.

you will need an MSDOS startup disk. .
    boot from that is it? i actually have one

yeah boot from that. It should boot into a command prompt. Its a bit trickier when you have to start taking the startup disk out to replace it with the one with the file on it... But give it a try.

Secondly some of the smarter bootdisks create ramdisks allowing you to swap out the startup disk for the one with the troublesome file on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

You might try this piece of freeware I found before.
    Most operating systems stop after say 3 bad attempts at accessing a disk sector.

I think this keeps going for as long as you want.

Unstoppable Copier

I put that term into Google and got a few matches. Apparently this issue is addressed in this MS Article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811840

I put that term into Google and got a few matches. Apparently this issue is addressed in this MS Article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811840
    thanks saw that but other disks work ok so must be disk

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

WildOscar wrote: »
    thanks saw that but other disks work ok so must be disk

My suggestion is to get someone who has a floppy drive and Linux and try read the image into a dump file and build an ISO from that image and mount it? something like this

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.dsk bs=10k count=144

See here for the usage of mkisofs;)

Then using Daemon Tools Lite, use that to mount the ISO image.... fingers crossed then, you should be able to see the contents of the floppy disk...

AFAIK, there was Aldus Pagemaker, Quark Express, Xara DTP that would have been around at the time...:D

• Advertisement

t0mm13b wrote: »
    My suggestion is to get someone who has a floppy drive and Linux and try read the image into a dump file and build an ISO from that image and mount it? something like this

Then using Daemon Tools Lite, use that to mount the ISO image.... fingers crossed then, you should be able to see the contents of the floppy disk...

AFAIK, there was Aldus Pagemaker, Quark Express, Xara DTP that would have been around at the time...:D
    thanks your link says it must be a bootable floppy? The floppy with the DTP file is not bootable

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

thanks your link says it must be a bootable floppy? The floppy with the DTP file is not bootable

Ahhh..... fcek..... :(

Am out of ideas on this one mate.... :confused:

Ahhh..... fcek..... :(

Am out of ideas on this one mate.... :confused:
    no problem thanks for input ;) bad copy pro scan is still running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

You'll sometimes find that a floppy disk will work on one machine and not on another. Floppy drives are notorious for going out of alignment. The best machine to try it in is normally the machine that last wrote data on it but you might get also just lucky if you try enough different machines.

You might try this piece of freeware I found before.
    Most operating systems stop after say 3 bad attempts at accessing a disk sector.

I think this keeps going for as long as you want.

Unstoppable Copier
    did not work zero files copied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

if you have access to other pc/notebook with a floppy drive, you can try it there.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dd will fallover on bad sectors

sudo apt-get install gddrescue
    sudo ddrescue /dev/fd0 floppy.dsk logfile.txt

then use photorec to pull known files off the image , they add new file types on a regular basis (if you can't point photorec at the image or loop mount it then just copy the file to a small usb drive or other floppy disk and then try again )

you could also use photorec directly on the floppy - not sure if it will fail over on bad sectors on not

also try the disk on more than one drive in case the drive used to write to it was misaligned

sudo apt-get install gddrescue
    sudo ddrescue /dev/fd0 floppy.dsk logfile.txt
    do not understand this

you could also use photorec directly on the floppy - not sure if it will fail over on bad sectors on not
    how do i get it on the floppy? When i open it from the hard drive only the hard drive is visible, cannot see floppy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do not understand this
    how do i get it on the floppy? When i open it from the hard drive only the hard drive is visible, cannot see floppy
    the whole point of photorec it doesn't care about files or folders or drive letters it just looks at the 1's and 0's on the disk

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec - download and install it then put the disk in and then run the program as an admin,
    can it read raw floppies in windows ? - don't know, don't really care as windows hides you further from the hardware than you'd like for doing data recovery

UNLIKE PHOTOREC SOME OTHER UTILS WILL WRITE TO THE DISK WHICH MAY OVERWRITE THE DATA YOU WANT TO RECOVER

SET THE WRITE PROTECT TAB ON THE DISK TO READ ONLY BEFORE YOU TRY OTHER UTILS.

the whole point of photorec it doesn't care about files or folders or drive letters it just looks at the 1's and 0's on the disk

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec - download and install it then put the disk in and then run the program as an admin,
    can it read raw floppies in windows ? - don't know, don't really care as windows hides you further from the hardware than you'd like for doing data recovery

UNLIKE PHOTOREC SOME OTHER UTILS WILL WRITE TO THE DISK WHICH MAY OVERWRITE THE DATA YOU WANT TO RECOVER

SET THE WRITE PROTECT TAB ON THE DISK TO READ ONLY BEFORE YOU TRY OTHER UTILS.
    when I installed it on the laptop with the floppy it cannot see the floppy drive. I installed it on this pc and it can see the USB drive, no floppy on this

• Advertisement

when I installed it on the laptop with the floppy it cannot see the floppy drive. I installed it on this pc and it can see the USB drive, no floppy on this
    just means that windows won't let you scess the floppy directly, just need to use a non-windows machine

or use a linux live CD

just means that windows won't let you scess the floppy directly,
    i think it was created on a mac would that be the reason?
    just need to use a non-windows machine
    do not have
    or use a linux live CD
    you mean boot into linux and acces floppy from there? could you recommend a linux live version there are so many, thanks
    would this do
    would the ultimate boot cd work

i tried booting from a floppy but it just went to harddrive even though i went to bios and set up to boot from floppy drive

I now have a linux live on the pc but still cannot access the floppy. when i trey i hear it makle noise/spin? but it is not accessible. is tere any other ideas, really need the contents of the floppy. Also i cannot open photorec in liniux. Is there any way i can make it part of linux Thanks

Advertisement