Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.410 ammo

Options
  • 07-12-2010 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Brother of a mate is looking for .410 ammo, BB's. I've no idea about them, are they readily available and what price would they be?

Yes, I know, ring dealers and I will, just want to get a bit of info first ;)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

johngalway wrote: »
    Brother of a mate is looking for .410 ammo, BB's. I've no idea about them, are they readily available and what price would they be?

Yes, I know, ring dealers and I will, just want to get a bit of info first ;)

Thanks in advance :)

BB's in .410 might be hard source.
    I have only ever seen No6 or 5 in .410

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

i doubt you'll find them john eley only load .410 in 5-6-7
    even a 3"has only 18gr of shot that's about 7 bb pellets ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I've heard of them before (I think) on a UK site. Matey is convinced they can be got, so I was sent out foraging for them :pac:

johngalway wrote: »
    I've heard of them before (I think) on a UK site. Matey is convinced they can be got, so I was sent out foraging for them :pac:

A guy I know of from the North had a Lee Enfield .410 converted to fire .410 slugs(Not sure if he still ha it)

4" group @100 yards was what it would do, not accurate enough for a fox;)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXHUNTER1

I shot a few fox's years ago with a .410 winchester lever action with the federal hollowpoint slugs.
    If they were within 100yrds they were in trouble.
    I remember firing a few of them at an old washing machine to see what they were capable of.
    The entry wound was about 3/4 of an inch wide and the exit was about 9 inches after going through the cement block in the machine.
    I'm fairly sure they are restricted ammo now though so you would need a restricted licence to use them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Federal used to do a 000 load for .410.Was three 000 balls inline in the cartridge.Was designed for a Derringer.410 mini shotgun,last defence,undercover police firearm type yoke.Handy in a phone booth distance gunfight I guess.:eek:.Dunno if it would be much use in the hunting field.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Just as an aside, the lad I speak of shotgun looks like this

9100d1208201907-lee-enfield-no-1-mark-iii-shotgun-lee_enfield_410_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

does it use the original bolt and bolt face?

does it use the original bolt and bolt face?

TBH I can't remember, it's around 10 years ago since I held it in my hands.

It had a certain quirkiness to it that I thought was cool.

.410 slugs are better than 12g as 12g are just to damaging on lol

My grandfather had a Harrington & Richardson .410 for years.
    The only ammo he ever could source for his was No.6's

He used to use it to shoot birds eating from his veggie patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

I had a taurus judge a few years back as my carry piece.
    .410 or 45LC would fit in the chambers, a truly horrific weapon.
    3 ball .410 was the recommended load

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭johnner1

He used to use it to shoot birds eating from his veggie patch.

afaik they used to call the .410 the garden gun for this very reason;)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

9mm is the garden gun, the converted lee enfields do use the original bolt and face, there is an article on the net somewhere about reloading for the .410 using .303 brass not that it helps much for you guys in the south.

Liam_D wrote: »
    9mm is the garden gun, the converted lee enfields do use the original bolt and face, there is an article on the net somewhere about reloading for the .410 using .303 brass not that it helps much for you guys in the south.

If I ever wanted a curio, it would be a LE in .410

I hear that while the LE and SMLE will chamber the 410 round,you wont get up the speed or be able to reload as fast as if it was the original 303,due to the shape of the 410 shell??Also that the Indian arsenal of???converted a bunch of LEs and SMLE for use by the Indian police and foresters,and that they will actually allow for fast repetitive fire with the 410??
    Anyone enlighten me??:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I hear that while the LE and SMLE will chamber the 410 round,you wont get up the speed or be able to reload as fast as if it was the original 303,due to the shape of the 410 shell??Also that the Indian arsenal of???converted a bunch of LEs and SMLE for use by the Indian police and foresters,and that they will actually allow for fast repetitive fire with the 410??
    Anyone enlighten me??:confused:

every single arsenal converted LE/SMLE I've ever seen had the magazine pulled and the hole plugged making them single shot

He doesn't have a restricted license to the best of my knowledge, and slugs are restricted ammo AFAIK.

Guess he'll have to think again seeing as there are no BB's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Sorry John,
    Cannot find what you want. This is exactly why we need to be allowed to reload.

The closest I could find was the below.

If you can find a product number or id, at least it is a place to start.

This stuff is weird. It looks as if there are bb's and "discs" packed together. Apparently, it is self defense ammo. Looks like the Judge is selling well.

Also called a "Rhodesian Jungle round", 00 buck packed with BBs in the loose spaces.;) .Think in a 410 that would be intresting for foxie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

speaking from previous experience from a very mis-spent youth :cool:non of them are worth a toss for foxes unless they are very close there arn't enough pellets /pattern to be regularly effective allthough we did find many years ago in a previous life that either .38 or .45(i forget which whatever the service revolvers took) rimmed pistol ammo was quite effective at 50-60 yards :cool:

landkeeper wrote: »
    speaking from previous experience from a very mis-spent youth :cool:non of them are worth a toss for foxes unless they are very close there arn't enough pellets /pattern to be regularly effective allthough we did find many years ago in a previous life that either .38 or .45(i forget which whatever the service revolvers took) rimmed pistol ammo was quite effective at 50-60 yards :cool:

I "heard" it was a .38 alright ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

harmoniums wrote: »
    I had a taurus judge a few years back...

Harmoniums,
    It was your carry piece? As in concealed carry or a LEO?

Anyhow, would you recommend one of these? What did you like/dislike about it? Is it just a novelty type round or did you find it to be tactical/practical.

How did you find the Taurus line? I heard they are just S&W knock-offs.

Slan

We might drift back to sporting uses please guys, drifting a little into personal defense territory here :)

FISMA wrote: »
    Harmoniums,
    It was your carry piece? As in concealed carry or a LEO?

Anyhow, would you recommend one of these? What did you like/dislike about it? Is it just a novelty type round or did you find it to be tactical/practical.

How did you find the Taurus line? I heard they are just S&W knock-offs.

Slan

I can't say whether it was a practical round or not as it was never pressed into service, I wouldn't stand in front of it though!
    I got rid of it when I moved to CA, they have a law about shotguns with revolving cylinders (specifically to outlaw street-sweepers) and I felt this was too close to the edge of legality.
    These days I don't carry at all, I'm never in a situation where I'd need it, and the thug OGs in Compton get sent packing with a brusk "Gerrrrroutttadat!".

Oh yes my now mid Atlantic Dub accent and Arnotts Jersey tells them I mean the bid'ness!

The missus keeps a S&W 38 spl though

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

I have a .22 410 over under back in canada, great for shoot grouse, 22 for long distances and 410 for up close. I prefer a number 4 shot has a nice tight grouping

I have a .22 410 over under back in canada, great for shoot grouse, 22 for long distances and 410 for up close. I prefer a number 4 shot has a nice tight grouping

Just about the perfect SHTF survival backwoods gun.
    Small game can be taken with the .22, bird shot for dinner with wings, and slugs for deer!

Run a .22mag/20GA over under.Same idea,just more oomph in the package,and with adapters,if they could be got,I can run 410 in the 20 GA at a pinch.:DCan also run 22lr in the 22 mag barrel,by using cut down .22mag cases over the 22lr case.Not very recomendable without saftey glasses mind.:eek:

Advertisement