Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water turned off in the area, can i still use my gas central heating?

• 07-12-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

When the water supply is turned off for a time is it safe, or possible to use gas central heating? My uneducated guess is that if I were to not use the water that comes from the hot taps it would be fine to use the central heating. What happens to the heated water that goes through the heating system, is it just circulated through the system unless it is ran through the taps? Please help, my water is going to be turned off tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is it a closed system?

Do you have a red cylnder sort of thing connected to you're system somewhere?

Like this one?

resize?sq=140&uid=2268984962

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 theofficepest

Your central heating should be a sealed system and therefore doesn't require a constant flow of mains water.

There is a valve which allows you to manually add water to this sealed loop as water escapes from it over time, but this only needs to be done maybe once or twice a year at best, this is the only time it needs a flow of mains water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Closed or open... Its safe... An open system has a seperate tank in the attic for this reason...

Just dont empty your hot water cylinder...It can weaken the coil if its of poor quality already

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

My hot water is not working, the cold mains is on. There is no water in the tank, and I can hear a dripping sound. The boiler seems to be working fine. Is there any way that I can get the hot water back on?

Big_G wrote: »
    My hot water is not working, the cold mains is on. There is no water in the tank, and I can hear a dripping sound. The boiler seems to be working fine. Is there any way that I can get the hot water back on?

Is you're water tank in the attic empty? If so, have you checked the ballcock for a bit of dirt blocking it? Have you still cold water at the sink?

More info please.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I'm in an apartment and I haven't been up into the crawlspace. I tried to use the mains pressure at the mixer tap in the kitchen to force water back up the hot water pipes because I thought there might be an airlock but it didn't seem to work.

I should say that the water was turned off last night and there was a wash run off just after the water came back on, maybe the system was over drained of hot water. The only tap working is the kitchen which is a mixer tap and is only puttin out cold water.

Big_G wrote: »
    I'm in an apartment and I haven't been up into the crawlspace. I tried to use the mains pressure at the mixer tap in the kitchen to force water back up the hot water pipes because I thought there might be an airlock but it didn't seem to work.

I should say that the water was turned off last night and there was a wash run off just after the water came back on, maybe the system was over drained of hot water. The only tap working is the kitchen which is a mixer tap and is only puttin out cold water.

In fairness, you need to check the tank and see if its full, then look to an airlock. Do you have a twin impeller pump for you're water? It could be airlocked either.

Advertisement