Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie "The Pipe" about Shell to Sea" showing in Model this week.

Options
  • 07-12-2010 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just letting you know of a film about the Shell to Sea controversy called "the Pipe" made over 4 years by reporter and filmmaker Richard O'Donnell. Richard took his camera everywhere it could go. Showing The Pipe in Sligo Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday in The Model. Could you pass the word about re Sligo and when its on, there is a Q&A after the Saturday night screening. Heres a synopsis:
    In a remote corner of the West of Ireland sits Broadhaven Bay. It is
    the perfect picture postcard, where the high cliffs of Erris Head and
    the Stags of Broadhaven stand sentry at the mouth of the bay against
    the mighty Atlantic, as if protecting the delicate golden sands of
    Glengad beach and the tiny village of Rossport, which nestles behind
    the dunes. However, this peaceful tranquility belies the turmoil that
    lies beneath, and the unique nature of the coastline which has
    sustained generations of farmers and fishermen, has also delivered to
    Shell Oil the perfect landfall for the Corrib Gas Pipeline.
    In the most dramatic clash of cultures in modern Ireland, the rights
    of farmers over their fields, and of fishermen to their fishing
    grounds, has come in direct conflict with one of the worlds most
    powerful oil companies. When the citizens look to their state to
    protect their rights, they find that the state has put Shell’s right
    to lay a pipeline over their own.

The Pipe is a story of a community tragically divided, and how they
    deal with a pipe that could bring economic prosperity or destruction
    of a way of life shared for generations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Have you seen it?

Is it actually a good documentary with a balanced view, or does it lean one way or the other?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Have you seen it?

Is it actually a good documentary with a balanced view, or does it lean one way or the other?

Well anythings got to be better than Paul W's 'impartial' reporting!;):eek:

T Runner does one need to book in advance or anything, cos am not sure whether i'l be able to get cover to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Have you seen it?

I havent seen it yet. Going tommorrow.

He started off as a reporter on the issue and noticed that some of the reporting on TV and in the press was quite different to what he was seeing.

He has being filming for 4 years. For example there was a boat protesting against Shell which was allegedly boarded and attacked by Shell security guys. I think thats in the movie.

It will be more comprehensive than any of the reporting to date. I know Richie personally (hes a runner, and a very good one, finished 2nd twice in Warriors run) and i honestly have huge respect for his honesty and integrity. He is a real journalist. I expect balance and the synopsis seems to reflect that the local community was split.

Youll have to judge for yourself. But one thing is sure, its a unique chance to get info on this very important local issue taht wont come around again.

Heres an interview he did on American TV which may shed more light.
    tuppence wrote: »
    Well anythings got to be better than Paul W's 'impartial' reporting!;):eek:

T Runner does one need to book in advance or anything, cos am not sure whether i'l be able to get cover to go yet.

Sorry Tuppence, I dont know. Give the model a quick call and they will fill you in on what you need to do. I'd say the saturday one with the Q and A will be very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Cheers T Runner,

Looks good. I've never really studied the Shell to Sea controversy in great depth so if I was around Sligo I would defo go in for a look.

Oh ya he must be some runner to finish 2nd in the Warriors

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I feel sorry for the locals, being overrun with pseudo leftist UCD students with an agenda and too much time on their hands. Get a job and then empathise with the working man. Crusty bas....sorry:o

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

Is it true that Anglina Jole plays Maura Harrington in the "Movie"? Are there any other famous actors in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

This thread just reminded me I needed to book tickets. Going on Saturday, looking forward to it.

Bosco boy wrote: »
    Is it true that Anglina Jole plays Maura Harrington in the "Movie"? Are there any other famous actors in it?

No, this would be a bit realer than anything youd see in Hollywood....there is no acting as far as i know........although theres a bit of action I believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Iorras55

T runner wrote: »
    No, this would be a bit realer than anything youd see in Hollywood....there is no acting as far as i know........although theres a bit of action I believe

Exactly. This is footage shot by a freelance newspaper reporter cameraman over about four years in the area, from 2005 to 2008 which has been compiled into this docu-film, an award winner around the globe where it has been shown. Truth is often stranger than fiction and of a great deal more interest! People who think that all the incidences they have read about in newspapers over the years are here may be disappointed because of course, most of those incidences did not have reporting cameramen present but it is an excellent film documenting the lives of those who live in this remote corner of rural Mayo. A lot more interesting and real than many lives elsewhere in Ireland in the 21st century unfortunately but a film not to be missed. Enjoy!

Coronation Street - not at the moment as there's no pipe. Hopefully there never will be!

Iorras55 wrote: »
    Exactly. This is footage shot by a freelance newspaper reporter cameraman over about four years in the area, from 2005 to 2008 which has been compiled into this docu-film, an award winner around the globe where it has been shown. Truth is often stranger than fiction and of a great deal more interest! People who think that all the incidences they have read about in newspapers over the years are here may be disappointed because of course, most of those incidences did not have reporting cameramen present but it is an excellent film documenting the lives of those who live in this remote corner of rural Mayo. A lot more interesting and real than many lives elsewhere in Ireland in the 21st century unfortunately but a film not to be missed. Enjoy!

Coronation Street - not at the moment as there's no pipe. Hopefully there never will be!

Saw it last night: was absolutely fantastic.

A great story. And the story speaks for itself.

A lot of different themes emerge:

How the law applies to big business as opposed to the citizen.

Is it justified for the government to ignore its owns laws for what it perceives to be economic progress? (We should know the answer to this one now that the IMF are in town)

How a community can be fractured by a massive outside influence.

Principles versus compromise.

The power of multinatinal coorporations.
    A tiny fishing vessel which took on the mighty Solitaire ship (the only pipe laying ship in the world large enough to lay the Corrib offshore pipe) was like David taking on Goliath.

Maura Harrington, breaking up a shell to sea meeting with the ferocity of her arguments is one of the best scenes ive scene in any film in a long time. What a character!
    The footage of the duel from the fishing vessel is unforgettable.

The cinematography was absolutely amazing. One of the shots of a red sunset was very reminiscent of coastal areas of Sligo reminding how close to us in every sense this huge issue really is.

Not to be missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

This is one of the issues that the Sligo Workers Alliance will try to highlight during the planned protest in Sligo tomorrow.

An almighty scandal it is indeed and on our doorstep.

Can't find the link, but I remember hearing about a Shell Exec talking about how no other Country in the world has given them such favourable terms.

Some of the Wikileaks documents detail how Shell have infiltrated every level of ther Nigerian Government. Who do they have on the payroll in ours?

The 'deal' with Shell must be torn up and then renogotiated on our terms to give a proper share of our resources to the people of the Country.

Won't be able to make the screening tomorrow, but hope to catch the film soon.

Pete M. wrote: »
    Some of the Wikileaks documents detail how Shell have infiltrated every level of ther Nigerian Government. Who do they have on the payroll in ours?

Won't be able to make the screening tomorrow, but hope to catch the film soon.

Oh yes, quite a few! I'll get barred again if I was to name names. We all know a few of the better known ones but they've a few 'paid' loudspeakers a bit closer to the place unfortunately - newspaper letter writers, people they think would have influence etc etc.... all very unpleasant stuff!! That's how Shell works.

For those who have seen 'The Pipe', since this documentary stopped filming at about 2008, Pat's boat was sunk in very suspicious circumstances (by his account and that of his crewman, balaclavaed men with guns boarded their boat at night, held them hostage while they holed his boat. They then departed the scene and Pat and his local crewman were fortunate that they managed to launch their liferaft and saved themselves. Of course, most of the media managed to make up other stories of pure fiction.

In 2009, having failed to drown Pat, in Spring, when Shell required access to the bay to lay their pipeline, Pat was arrested on trumped up charges, taken to court where the judge called him a thug and sent him to Castlerea prison for seven months, effectively removing him while Shell did their business and laid their pipeline to the beach (and beyond it, where they had no planning permission but they still have not been forced to remove it - soft touch Government - ah, it was just a mistake - shell would never lay pipeline they have no permission to lay!). Pat got out in July after five months when Shell had no more need to keep him locked up! The saga goes on - the local community is now awaiting the decision of the latest an Board Pleanala Oral Hearing held from August to October of this year. Both Green Ministers have decisions to make on planning permissions - Gormley has to decide whether to issue a foreshore licence for building a ginormous tunnel (big enough to take 40 Shell pipelines which will be grouted with the weakest possible cement mix - for easy removal when required, most reckon) and ryan has to decide whether to give planning permission for the project as a whole seeing as no permission has ever been given - project splitting has been the story - bit by bit by bit - nothing connected. Project splitting nightmare. Now ryan has to try to sticky plaster it all together and decide if he should give it permission or not!! Can he be trusted?? He certainly hasn't proven any such thing. See: http://www.corribgaspipeline.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

I know.

The whole thing stinks and we have to make sure that we get it back.

Shell to Hell.....

Iorras55 wrote: »
    Oh yes, quite a few! I'll get barred again if I was to name names. We all know a few of the better known ones but they've a few 'paid' loudspeakers a bit closer to the place unfortunately - newspaper letter writers, people they think would have influence etc etc.... all very unpleasant stuff!! That's how Shell works.

For those who have seen 'The Pipe', since this documentary stopped filming at about 2008, Pat's boat was sunk in very suspicious circumstances (by his account and that of his crewman, balaclavaed men with guns boarded their boat at night, held them hostage while they holed his boat. They then departed the scene and Pat and his local crewman were fortunate that they managed to launch their liferaft and saved themselves. Of course, most of the media managed to make up other stories of pure fiction.

In 2009, having failed to drown Pat, in Spring, when Shell required access to the bay to lay their pipeline, Pat was arrested on trumped up charges, taken to court where the judge called him a thug and sent him to Castlerea prison for seven months, effectively removing him while Shell did their business and laid their pipeline to the beach (and beyond it, where they had no planning permission but they still have not been forced to remove it - soft touch Government - ah, it was just a mistake - shell would never lay pipeline they have no permission to lay!). Pat got out in July after five months when Shell had no more need to keep him locked up! The saga goes on - the local community is now awaiting the decision of the latest an Board Pleanala Oral Hearing held from August to October of this year. Both Green Ministers have decisions to make on planning permissions - Gormley has to decide whether to issue a foreshore licence for building a ginormous tunnel (big enough to take 40 Shell pipelines which will be grouted with the weakest possible cement mix - for easy removal when required, most reckon) and ryan has to decide whether to give planning permission for the project as a whole seeing as no permission has ever been given - project splitting has been the story - bit by bit by bit - nothing connected. Project splitting nightmare. Now ryan has to try to sticky plaster it all together and decide if he should give it permission or not!! Can he be trusted?? He certainly hasn't proven any such thing. See: http://www.corribgaspipeline.ie/

Nice rhetoric you have there, but in fairness it sounds like nothing more than a bunch of conspiracy theorist waffle. Do you have any evidence to back up any of what you have said, or is this all in 'mysterious' circumstances?

Nice rhetoric you have there, but in fairness it sounds like nothing more than a bunch of conspiracy theorist waffle. Do you have any evidence to back up any of what you have said, or is this all in 'mysterious' circumstances?

As the incident was dismissed instead of being properly and fully investigated (strange:confused::confused:), I suppose nobody will ever know the actual truth. As the corruption of Celtic Tiger Ireland unfurls we will probably realise this was no isolated incident - we probably already have! Anybody who gets in the way of FF will be removed!! (a few months later this fisherman with no criminal record or previous misdoings was jailed for seven months for loitering on the sea and other trumped up charges). Just go and see the film and you will see this "criminal" at work for yourself. Then make up your mind who the liars and real criminals are! Film documentary 'The Pipe' at many cinemas now and it will be shown on TG4 at some stage as they are one of the sponsors of the making of the documentary, along with Swiss TV. Some people know the truth when it hits them in the face. Others prefer to perpetuate the Celtic Tiger lies. How sad!

Here's some 'evidence' you asked for. Enjoy.

http://corribgas.net/2009/07/02/pirates-of-the-corribean/index.html

http://royaldutchshellplc.com/2010/05/18/shell-corrib-gas-controversy-call-for-investigation-into-boat-sinking/

www.vimeo.com/8668733

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0612/1224248687390.html

http://www.tribune.ie/article/2009/jun/14/gardai-probe-raid-and-sinking-of-mayo-trawler/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I work with a lad from there. He has told us time and again that it is the loud minority speakin for everyone.

Most locals were happy for the work that was available.

You only have to listen to a few of Maura Harringtons diatribes to form an opinion on her sanity

Slidey wrote: »
    I work with a lad from there. He has told us time and again that it is the loud minority speakin for everyone. Most locals were happy for the work that was available.

Agree that some locals got a bit of temporary work - on one day, off the next etc.. but from Shell's own figures, the 300 or so 'locals' were well outnumbered by the 900 odd who boosted the 'not so local economy' many miles distant by staying in hotel and other accommodation - all temporary - nothing for a sustainable future for the area.

Also, this doesn't look like much hope for 'local' jobs! Jobs for locals were short term, temporary and in the main, unskilled - and currently non-existent. And, advertised in the UK only, before they have permission of anything from Bord Pleanala or the Government departments of environment or natural resources.

For years, it has been cited 'all permissions granted'. what's this about if that's the case?

http://www.corribgaspipeline.ie/

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1204/1224284771013.html

Saw this film last night in the model, coming from someone who has spent some time in the area and was very much 'on side' with the anti-Shell campaign I have to say, I was unimpressed.

I was hoping this documentary would give a balanced view on what was going on, but to be honest the film didn't really go beyond the usual heavily edited protest footage, people looking sad, essentially 'look at us poor folk getting shafted by the big evil oil giant.' We know Shell are acting illegally, but there's enough of that on youtube. Too much tugging at heart strings, not enough factual or balanced information.

I really think an inpartial introduction outlining the background to what was going on would have been nice, they just went straight into the violent protest scenes which have only a small part in the story itself. Also, there was literally no mention of the financial aspects of the case, the laws that were implemented and the fact that the Government literally gave away billions of euros worth of gas and oil.

It was heavily biased, what about the locals who aren't in agreement with the Shell to Sea campaign? Why weren't they featured? No insight into to why people want this project to go ahead, beyond the assumption that they're greedy and evil. I'm disappointed, because I thought this documentary had potential to send out a clear and fair message but it was more like propoganda. And this coming from a supporter of the Shell to Sea movement.

Truley wrote: »
    Saw this film last night in the model, coming from someone who has spent some time in the area and was very much 'on side' with the anti-Shell campaign I have to say, I was unimpressed.

I was hoping this documentary would give a balanced view on what was going on, but to be honest the film didn't really go beyond the usual heavily edited protest footage, people looking sad, essentially 'look at us poor folk getting shafted by the big evil oil giant.' We know Shell are acting illegally, but there's enough of that on youtube. Too much tugging at heart strings, not enough factual or balanced information.

I really think an inpartial introduction outlining the background to what was going on would have been nice, they just went straight into the violent protest scenes which have only a small part in the story itself. Also, there was literally no mention of the financial aspects of the case, the laws that were implemented and the fact that the Government literally gave away billions of euros worth of gas and oil.

It was heavily biased, what about the locals who aren't in agreement with the Shell to Sea campaign? Why weren't they featured? No insight into to why people want this project to go ahead, beyond the assumption that they're greedy and evil. I'm disappointed, because I thought this documentary had potential to send out a clear and fair message but it was more like propoganda. And this coming from a supporter of the Shell to Sea movement.

I dont agree with that assesment.

The film maker followed the protest and the film spoke for itself.

There is plenty of scope for someone to make an all comprehensive documentary on this controversy or the handling of oil in Ireland or how oil is handeled by governments worldwide. This was never the intention of this movie.

I felt that the issue of Shell making profits etc was never argued by the Protesters, the issues were clearly the dangers to local human health and livlihood and the disregard of Law by Shell and by the State.

It was a look at what locals came up against when confronted with this impossible situation.

The film was about the effect of a huge external influence on a local community. Making it into a political documentary would have taken from this.
    However, I felt that all these issues were touched on through this documentary, but through local eyes.

The comprehensive documantary looking at all the issues surrounding this controversy, is a lot more likelt to be made now

I dont agree with that assesment.

The film maker followed the protest and the film spoke for itself.

There is plenty of scope for someone to make an all comprehensive documentary on this controversy or the handling of oil in Ireland or how oil is handeled by governments worldwide. This was never the intention of this movie.

I felt that the issue of Shell making profits etc was never argued by the Protesters, the issues were clearly the dangers to local human health and livlihood and the disregard of Law by Shell and by the State.

It was a look at what locals came up against when confronted with this impossible situation.

The film was about the effect of a huge external influence on a local community. Making it into a political documentary would have taken from this.
    However, I felt that all these issues were touched on through this documentary, but through local eyes.

The comprehensive documantary looking at all the issues surrounding this controversy, is a lot more likelt to be made now

Fair enough, I guess it was good for what it is. I just felt like a film like this is preaching to the choir really. Reiterating one side's argument rather than trying to open minds and spread clear and honest information about the case. Though I admit it is what it is and it didn't pretend to be anything else. I just thought it had alot of potential that wasn't exploited.

• Advertisement

Showing Wed evening TG4 at 9:30. Well worth a look or turning on the recording button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MickyMally

Just watched this film on TG4, and it clearly demonstrates that money and corruption can ride over fundamental rights of ordinary rural folk.
    It was a disgrace to see the full force of the state employed to protect Shell's interests, plus an army of private security who had no rights to touch anybody.
    Where has our Sovereignty gone?
    It is clear that people do not have fundamental rights to their own land, furthermore on Eco Eye last night Duncan Stewart was at pains to explain the terrible amounts of CO2 released from bogs that are being cut, yet how much damage to virgin bogland is going to be done when Shell lay the pipe across this bog. It is an absolute disgrace, and I lay the blame at the governments feet. I never felt so ashamed of my state's action against ordinary folk.

MickyMally wrote: »
    Just watched this film on TG4, and it clearly demonstrates that money and corruption can ride over fundamental rights of ordinary rural folk.

Really? It does that?
    I disagree.

Firstly, I thought the film was well made, and was compelling viewing. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it, as it was 'warts and all' in relation to the community.

However, I did find that it was totally biased towards the opposition of the pipeline. It did show that the community was divided, but never interviewed or focused on the people who supported it.

It also shows how people interpret the laws of the land to suit themselves, and who will use it to their advantage and then hide behind it when it suits them.

As an example, the Chief deliberately laid the crab pots in the line of the Solitare, as he maintained it was his right to do so because he has his licence, but then complained that his livelihood was at stake as a result of it.

For a group of people who complain about a case of one rule for us and another for them, they seem to live by the same principles.....

However, I did find that it was totally biased towards the opposition of the pipeline. It did show that the community was divided, but never interviewed or focused on the people who supported it.

It showed the people whose livlihoods and lives were directly affected by the
    Pipeline e.g. the people who lived beside the raw unrefined oil.

Some people got jobs out of it, they didnt have their homes and lands under threat and clearly their livlihoods were affected to the good. If you are part of a community you must decide on whats best for your community.

There was 2 splits: the split in how to oppose shell. And a more minor split involving those who benefitted financially from Shells prescence (at the expense of their neighbours health and livlihoods).

BTW When Shell had a similar situation in Nigeria nobody was interviewed the people who supported shell werent and the people who opposed them couldnt (they were removed in body bags).

It also shows how people interpret the laws of the land to suit themselves, and who will use it to their advantage and then hide behind it when it suits them.

No, the courts interpret the laws of the land and according to the courts shell continually flouted these laws with assistance from the state.
    As an example, the Chief deliberately laid the crab pots in the line of the Solitare, as he maintained it was his right to do so because he has his licence, but then complained that his livelihood was at stake as a result of it.

His livlihood was at stake as a results of the prescence of a toxix pipeline where he fishes I think. Laying crab pots where he did is a tactic but one he is entitled to use to save his livlihood. In doing this he did nothing ilegal as you say.

For a group of people who complain about a case of one rule for us and another for them, they seem to live by the same principles.....

Firstly, I dont think your "laying crabs pots" case is a case of breaking any rules. Secondly, it was done by one man not an entire group of people. To compare this to the flouting of court rulings, European laws and the physical intimidation visited on locals is simply not comparing like with like. To accuse locals of hypocrisy using this argument is ludicrous.

Multinationals like Shell will always try to cut corners when it comes to making money. It is governments job to protect its citizens when their rights are circumvented by anyone. At least that community had the local and European courts to use to protect their rights.

Shell used the Nigerian Army to enforce their interests in Nigeria resulting in teh deaths of thousands of Nigerian men, women and children in the Delta province.

No doubt some locals made a few quid there too. Thats Shells way.

Citizens rights and "progress" need not be mutually exclusive. But in every case citizens rights need to be protected. When the citizen loses these rights it is no longer "progress".

His livlihood was at stake as a results of the prescence of a toxix pipeline where he fishes I think. Laying crab pots where he did is a tactic but one he is entitled to use to save his livlihood. In doing this he did nothing ilegal as you say.

I fail to see how a pipeline can be toxic......

Anyway, in Summation to you're post, I'm not in a position to argue here, as you clearly seem to know more about the situation than I do.
    I knew very little about the whole thing except what was on the news at the height of the trouble, and I didn't care much for it, passing it off as a bunch of hippie who want to stand in the way of progress.
    After watching the documentary, I've just given my opinion of what i took from it as an outsider looking in. I have no knowledge of any European laws that were breached or the physical intimidation that took place. In fact, the only physical intimidation I saw was the lady who went on hungar strike abusing someone at the Shell to sea campaign meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That film is nothing more than blatant Shell to Sea propaganda. What most of the posters here may not know is that the fiml-maker is a nephew of the Mr O'donnell, the fisherman who has been waging his own war against the agencies of the state. Hence the easy access to close up filming the sea scenes. All not as innocent as it may seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭calf

Got best feature documentary at they Irish flim and television awards tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

the fiml-maker is a nephew of the Mr O'donnell, the fisherman who has been waging his own war against the agencies of the state. Hence the easy access to close up filming the sea scenes.

that's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

It showed the people whose livlihoods and lives were directly affected by the
    Pipeline e.g. the people who lived beside the raw unrefined oil.

It is a Gas pipeline, or did you see the film?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I watched it last night on TG4,must say I really enjoyed it.

Advertisement