Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmail and POP3 issue

Options
  • 07-12-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I have my work email (firstname@mycompanyname.ie) coming into my Gmail inbox. I can also reply to customers from firstname@mycompanyname.ie through Gmail. I only realised yesterday that all outgoing mail firstname@mycompanyname.ie (via Gmail) was going through Gmail's servers and not the hosting company (Blacknight Solutions).

I changed the settings in Gmail for all outgoing mail to be sent via Blacknight's servers (mail.blacknight.com). However, the only thing is that when I go into my webmail (http://webmail.blacknight.com) I can see all incoming mail to firstname@mycompanyname.ie in the web mail inbox. However, the sent items folder is empty....even though I have sent three emails since I changed the settings in Gmail (all have delivered ok).

Does anyone know how I can ensure that all outgoing emails sent through Gmail are also saved in the Sent items folder in the Blacknight webmail? I contacted Blacknight and they said that it may be that I need to set something in Gmail to save the sent items to my Blacknight email address. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Sending e-mail through a particular mail server is not the same as asking for a copy of mails to be kept in your e-mail account (i.e. the e-mail account that your Blacknight Webmail shows) on that server. Just to be clear, do you have things setup so that your Gmail account collects the mail via POP3 from the Blacknight mail servers and leaves a copy in the Blacknight Inbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

Hi bhickey,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yes I have it set up so that Gmail retrieves the email via POP 3 and then leaves a copy on the server. Please see that attached screenshot of my settings. Obviously I have removed my email address for confidentiality purposes.

You see the way there's an option to "Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server"...is there a similar option to leave sent items on the server?

Thanks again

Mike_Eile wrote: »
    ...I changed the settings in Gmail for all outgoing mail to be sent via Blacknight's servers (mail.blacknight.com)

How did you this? I didn't know that there was such an option. I'd imagine that Gmail is still delivering outbound e-mail itself and not sending them through mail.blacknight.com. You'd probably need to use an e-mail client like MS Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird etc. to do something like what you're describing.

Separately, why on earth would anyone want to use Blacknight's Webmail service when Gmail is so much better and faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Mike_Eile

bhickey wrote: »
    How did you this? I didn't know that there was such an option.
    If you go to Settings -> Accounts & Imports -> Under Send Mail As click on Edit Info next to the email address -> Click Next Step -> then select "Send through mycompanyname.ie SMTP servers (recommended for professional domains". Then input the settings. I just want to be able for Blacknight to be able to monitor any issues with emails being sent. If a recipient doesn't receive an email then Blacknight won't be able to investigate if the recipient received it or not if the email is sent through the Gmail servers, whereas they will be able to tell if sent through Blacknights. Hope this makes sense
    bhickey wrote: »
    Separately, why on earth would anyone want to use Blacknight's Webmail service when Gmail is so much better and faster?
    I still use Gmail to send and receive emails. I just would like a backup of all emails on Blacknight's web mail. At the moment, only incoming mails are backed up, not sent mails.

Mike_Eile wrote: »
    ..... then select "Send through mycompanyname.ie SMTP servers (recommended for professional domains".

Fair enough. I don't actually have that option in either my Gmail or Google Apps e-mail accounts. No harm - I can't see a use for it anyway. If an e-mail is undelivered, than you'll generally get a response back from the delivering server telling you what happened and why it couldn't be delivered. Are you getting something extra by delivering through Blacknight?

I still use Gmail to send and receive emails. I just would like a backup of all emails on Blacknight's web mail. At the moment, only incoming mails are backed up, not sent mails.

I don't think that'll be possible if you want to use Gmail in a browser, unless you've got some other magical Gmail options that I don't have ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement