Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heard of these?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

It's a travel agency. Is that what she's looking for?

If she wants to volunteer then it's a charity she should be looking for.

No charity offers a drop down menu like that in which you can pick your country, activity, length etc. That's called poverty tourism, and these people are making lots of money on it (don't let your girlfriend be fooled into think her 1000's are going to the poor kids).

I wrote about some actual charities that offer volunteering opportunities here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

What kind of work does your girlfriend want to do and maybe some other volunteers could give her some help/ideas?

I worked with PREDA in the Philippines during the summer (www.preda.org) and I felt that I had a very rewarding experience there and that I genuinely helped the children there. I'm a fully qualified teacher, but lots of the volunteers were students (social work students, trainee nurses, trainee journalists, musicians, artists, yoga teachers, people who work in the area of fair-trade at home, commerce/business students, environmental science students....) It's a very big organisation and it has a number of different projects. They don't take on too many volunteers at a time, and their volunteers are well looked after. You can see that every cent donated is pumped into the organisation and into helping children. The staff are 100% dedicated and work around the clock to ensure that the children are happy. Every cent is spent wisely. They don't require the volunteer to raise funds, but you have to pay for your accomodation/food there. I've set up a support page on facebook (preda galway) if your girlfriend wants to check it out for more information too.

Advertisement