Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sydney in january

Options
  • 07-12-2010 4:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

im off to sydney in january on a whv with the girlfriend both of us will hav around 4000dollars each is it essential to have the 5000.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Nick Diamond

cotsydon wrote: »
    im off to sydney in january on a whv with the girlfriend both of us will hav around 4000dollars each is it essential to have the 5000.

Nah man, they say that whole 5000 dollar thing as a precaution. It the cash depends on how hard you wanna party when you get here...

The gf, like coal to newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The gf, like coal to newcastle
    MOD This isn't AH - no need for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Disagree, if you don't find work in a hurry then you will be in trouble.
    Even getting a place to rent will set you back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Number 5

Totally disagree. Not sure if you are aware of what renting is like in Sydney
    A Its fairly expensive
    B You need to pay a bond (a months rent) up front along with 2 weeks rent in advance (and in some cases a month in advance)
    C 97% of places are unfurnished therefore furniture has to be bought.
    D Work maybe quiet the first few weeks of January depending on what sector you are looking to work in

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

hussey wrote: »
    MOD This isn't AH - no need for this.

I agree but still, its a cracking saying! Never heard that one before!

Back on Topic - You could struggle mate, you would need to get work pretty quickly and get a place pretty quickly and with Bond etc you will want to start looking for both immediately. You should be fine, just dont go crazy spending and watch what you are spending.

A good night out can cost anything from $150 to 3 times that depending on how long you last and taxis you take. Taxis end up costing me a fortune for some reason going from place to place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Beginning, middle or end or Jan? (i.e beginning would be murder to get anything anywhere)

If towards the end would you consider a hostel (2/3 bed room - could pay for the three beds and just you and your girlfriend stay)? Solve bond and furnishing expenses and also give you freedom to move at a moments notice.

What area are you thinking of? Will have a big impact on budget

8k between you would be ok'ish BUT only if you can manage money very very well.

Allow for spending the first few weeks seeing the sights and getting used to the place.

Things only start back up in Feb so realistically plan on being out of work for 4-6 weeks. At a grand a week you will be living on fumes but once one of you is bringing in money it will help.
    What do you both do?
    Have you contacts/friends out here?

I provide the questions you can provide the answers and someone on here will fill in the blanks......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cotsydon

Were pretty good money wise and wont go blowin it on silly things we will be getting our priorities right first. We may have more at the time were going over 19th january. We have a hostel booked in coogee for a week jus to get ourselves sorted. Im in the roofing business and my girlfriend is a dressmaker but were willing to work at anything. Were planning on sydney for 2months then head to melbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

Were pretty good money wise and wont go blowin it on silly things we will be getting our priorities right first. We may have more at the time were going over 19th january. We have a hostel booked in coogee for a week jus to get ourselves sorted. Im in the roofing business and my girlfriend is a dressmaker but were willing to work at anything. Were planning on sydney for 2months then head to melbourne.

Oh your laughing of you have accomadation sorted for the first while. Around coogee you can do all the cheap food deals and have dinner for $30 max with a drink every night ($30 between you).

First thing I would do on arriving is ask the hostel that if you let them know a few days in advance could they keep your room and maybe put down a hundred bucks or so as a deposit - nice goodwill gesture. The last thing you want to do is have to be under pressure looking for another place (in fact maybe mail them now and ask)

You will have a huge Irish population so any short jobs going you could strike very lucky. Also you will have a great transport network on your doorstep. If I was you, and considering your trade and your girlfriends profession , the first thing I would do is go to the local woolies (on coogee bay road) and put up a card on the notice board roofer available and dressmaker available for alterations etc etc you could pick up a few little jobs that way.

It might work very lucky for you as alot of the local tradies will be on holidays. Best of luck up on the roof if the heat picks up :p

In reality if you only plan on spending 2 months in the area at least you will know how things are going and change plans accordingly (no work no money - sorry but you have to be realistic)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 am_sunny

Me and my boyfriend are heading over the day before you!!
    We're hoping to have maybe 10 or 11 thousand dollars going over each.
    We're planning on travelling for the first month and we've been told to spend our money wisely. If i could land in Sydney in Feb with 5 grand i'd be happy. Good idea booking the hostel for the week. Thinking about doing that myself coz i've heard renting is fairly expensive.
    Good luck with everything anyway! Might see you over!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cotsydon

I would liking to have that much aswel but keeping my car at home just incase dont want to sell it and have nothing to come home to. Were are use goin travelling we would have loving to do that but funds restricted that. Are use from dublin. @ am_sunny.

Cheers for the info great advice. We are in the process of getting in touch with the hostel about the extra week or so. Yea the roofing in that weather will take a while to get used to. @ my horse

• Advertisement

I would liking to have that much aswel but keeping my car at home just incase dont want to sell it and have nothing to come home to. Were are use goin travelling we would have loving to do that but funds restricted that. Are use from dublin. @ am_sunny.

Cheers for the info great advice. We are in the process of getting in touch with the hostel about the extra week or so. Yea the roofing in that weather will take a while to get used to. @ my horse

No from the lovely Cork!!
    Let me know how ye get on in whatever hostel (price, is it nice, etc)ye stay in around Sydney. Kinda thinking about doing the same kind of thing when we get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Not that there is any thing wrong with Sydney I spent a year in it back in 2000 but why don't people go to Melbourne first . Then head up to Sydney . I find Melbourne much more relaxed and cheaper . Just an idea .

Alot of people have told me to go to Melbourne alright. Might see how the job situation is like in Sydney and if no luck I think i'll try Melbourne. Anyone know how easy/hard it is to get a job in Sydney? I'd be willing to do anything, waitressing, bar/cafe work, secretarial work.

Advertisement