Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trad xmas dinner - pick 2 elements only!

Options
  • 07-12-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

If you could choose only two of the foods which make up your traditional christmas lunch/dinner, which would they be and why? For me it would be spiced beef and roast potatoes. Spiced beef because its gorgeous and you can only really get it at christmas time and roast potatoes because...well, ye cant bate an ould shpud!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jayok77

Would have to be these two -

Stuffed Turkey:
    Freshly made stuffing in a fresh turkey just because I don't have it that often

Home made Croquettes:
    Made from Mashed potato mixed with very finely diced onions, freshly chopped parsley, drop of milk, lots of butter and salt and pepper. This is hand rolled into cylindrical shapes and dipped in whisked egg and then rolled in finely crushed Corn Flakes for a crispy coating. Deep fry until golden brown and pat off any extra oil.

All served with a nice gravy made from the turkey juices.

[drool]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

jayok77 wrote: »

Stuffed Turkey:

Home made Croquettes:
    Made from Mashed potato mixed with very finely diced onions, freshly chopped parsley, drop of milk, lots of butter and salt and pepper. This is hand rolled into cylindrical shapes and dipped in whisked egg and then rolled in finely crushed Corn Flakes for a crispy coating. Deep fry until golden brown and pat off any extra oil.

[drool]

HEY! That's cheating, you can have the turkey OR the stuffing. You can't have both...

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

jayok77 wrote: »

Stuffed Turkey:

Home made Croquettes:

[drool]

Jesus wept those home made croquettes sound amazing, any chance you could post the full recipe for it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Has to be goose fat roasties and a mountain of Stuffing. (Can i have gravy?)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

From last years dinner:

Roast goose, stuffing (bacon, chestnut, cranberry, orange zest, rosemary, breadcrumb, onion).

If wine counts as an element, I'll do without the stuffing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Stuffing and sprouts!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Stuffing. I love stuffing and it always seems nicer on Christmas day.

I'd be happy with just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

I'm really glad to see how many people enjoy stuffing as much as i do, as with janeybabe, i'd probably be happy with stuffing alone, but stuffing and gravy and I am sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Stuffing and yorkshire puddings (they are trad in my house as I questioned why we were not having them when I was small and we have had them ever since!) if not allowed then crispy oily roast spuds.

I hate most christmas foods...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Hi, OP here. I could take or leave the majority of the usual christmas fare. Turkey? Blurg! Christmas cake and pudding can feck off too. I know everyone seems to have an aged female relative who makes "the best" pudding ever but i just dont like the format, dosnt matter who makes it. Stuffing is indeed a king amongst foods but i'm used to having it cooked seperate from the fowl as there are vegatarians in my house who want to be able to eat it too. And yes for the purposes of this thread, gravey is allowed on top of your two foods :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Irishpimpdude

Turkey and ham, turkey and ham yum yum yum yum Turkey and ham!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

beef & sprouts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Stuffing and roast potatoes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭RJC09

roast ham with cloves and a honey and mustard glaze, and stuffing. i'm with ye on this one, nothing is better than christmas stuffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Sherry and gravy! Not together mind you. The sherry because it doesn't come out any other time and always makes me go Mmmm. And a good gravy because it would make a slice of bread into a dinner. To make a good gravy take 1 recently used roasting tin (Previous resident can be turkey, beef, lamb...) add wine, stock, s & p and a little flour and maybe a splash of tabasco. Stir and cook gently. And seeing as you have that roast beast that you used to prepare the roasting tin - sure you may as well have that on the side!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Stuffing and sprouts!

+1. I could take or leave the rest of the dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Just give me a big bowl of sausage stuffing and I'd be happy. Missed it this year :(

Some roast parsnips would be lovely too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Ham and roast potatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

anything but sprouts, mouldy nasty horrible little things. foul. bleurgh

• Advertisement
Advertisement