Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking Boots = Sore Achilles Tendon

Options
  • 07-12-2010 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭

Mods: Please note that I am not looking for medical advice here.

I've been wearing my lovely hiking boots religiously in the snow and ice and, quite frankly, am delighted to have the excuse to wear them so often. The only thing is, the other day, I got wrapped up and laced up in a major hurry and didn't lace the boots correctly. I ended up doing one so tight that after about an hour of walking my achilles tendon started to really ache. I appear to have squashed it a bit.

According to the internet it's quite common and not a major deal so I'm not too worried. However, I need to keep wearing my boots, otherwise I won't be able to walk anywhere in the snow and ice without falling or getting my feet wet. Because the tendon is so tender, though, my boots (on one foot) are hurting it.

Does anyone know of anything I can buy (similar to a Scholl product type thing), or any tricks I can use, to prevent my boots from rubbing off the tendon so much? I see that Scholl have a heel insert but it would be useless in boots.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

I use plasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Donny5 wrote: »
    I use plasters.

I put on a few plasters yesterday and this morning but it seemed to make no difference. I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

cosmic wrote: »
    I put on a few plasters yesterday and this morning but it seemed to make no difference. I guess I'll just have to wait it out.

Sorry, I re-read your first post there, and I'm an idiot. I use plasters to alleviate irritated skin, but that's obviously not your problem. Maybe you could try massaging the spot.

Donny5 wrote: »
    Sorry, I re-read your first post there, and I'm an idiot. I use plasters to alleviate irritated skin, but that's obviously not your problem. Maybe you could try massaging the spot.

No worries!

I was hoping for a quick fix solution but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist! I think massage, as you said, and time are what's needed though. Looks like it'll be wellies for me for the next few days!

Thanks for your replies Donny5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

If you're near Dublin, go into Great Outdoor and explain your problem. They'll refit your boots to prevent it from happening again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Most boots have a tight loop for the first loop you run the lace through at the ankle, you could try tightening the section over your foot then lacing up the rest but leaving it relatively loose. Since the ground is fairly flat the ankle support won't be as important and the rugged terrain of a mountain. If it's looser there'll be less pressure so it may be worth trying. Hope that makes sense, it'd be easier to explain actually showing you a boot.

Have to say though, my boots have been a life safer the past week, even just the extra grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Tells

Cosmic, is your achilles tendon sore now? Even out of your hiking boots? If so you may have ruptured it! Not an easy fix I might add. If it is just the boots making it sore then try a raised insole.

Hope this helps

Evil Phil wrote: »
    go into Great Outdoor... They'll refit your boots
    Gillo wrote: »
    Most boots have a tight loop for the first loop you run the lace through at the ankle, you could try tightening the section over your foot then lacing up the rest but leaving it relatively loose.

That's good advice, thanks!
    Tells wrote: »
    Cosmic, is your achilles tendon sore now? Even out of your hiking boots? If so you may have ruptured it! Not an easy fix I might add.

Eeek! It's a bit tender and still swollen today but no where near as sore as it has been. I should add that I didn't wear the boots today. I wore trainers and cycled in to work (scary, but fun!). The break from the boots seems to be working so I'm not too worried at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies!

Advertisement