Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving verbal notice

Options
  • 06-12-2010 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

1. What if you gave only a verbal notice but you've got few witnesses?

2. Just in a case of curiosity.. What happens if a landlord will give a deposit to a fellow house mate or other unauthorized by you person and ask to give it to you and then it gets missed/stolen as the person refuses to give it to you or pretend stupid? Or let's say he'd say "you've broke my ipod last month" and wil deduct it from your deposit?

It's not a PRTB's business anymore, isn't? I know a friend of mine had that kind of problem some time ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

I am a landlord and have been a landlord on a number of properties and I believe in giving back the deposit on the day of departure. I have never held back a deposit so maybe I a lucky but my advise would be

1. Have the property in the condition you recieved it in less normal wear and tear
    2. Have all bills, rates and maintance paid and have proof of same.
    3. As other posters have said photograph the property on day of departure, use some type of proof in the photo as to the date ie leave the tv in newspaper on the bed etc
    4. Inform your landlord in writing / email that you are terminating your lease giving proper notice.

5. Some landlords let you use the deposit for your last months rent try it out.

My experiance as a landlord is the tenant hold the ace card for most situations but I understand completly where you are comming from

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭kathleenl

Hi Cram1971

As far as i can make out you must be a very nice Land Lord which is very rare now. My daughter paid her deposit along with a months rent in advance. She had no alternative but to leave the flat she was in due to a burst pipe which flooded their flat and the neighbours flat. Fortunately she had already given enough notice that she was leaving. What really narkes me is the fact that the land lord that owned the flats sold them to another guy and he said that he never got any paper work stating that she paid the deposit. When she went to the previous owner he said that he gave over all the paper work, when the solicitors signed contracts. I just feel that she has been done out of her money by an unscrupulous land lord. She has receipts for all her bills paid. There was nothing left unpaid.

Advertisement