Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CV Stuff

Options
  • 07-12-2010 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

I've recently started looking for a job lately and I'm having difficulty condensing all the important information down to two pages.

I've got a degree in Electronic Engineering so I usually list subjects etc but it seems kind of pointless, they know whats in an engineering degree.

I've heard you should tailor your CV to what their requirements are (when they advertise the job), and thats my approach so far, but what else are good signs for a potential employer? Hobby projects? Interests?

I have no previous experience because I finished college in August so theres a bit of a hole where that should be...

Seems like a lot of jobs require 2-3 years of experience minimum even aswell though I might have all the other requirements :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I think you might have better luck at getting an answer in the Engineering forum or the Work & Jobs forum.

From a Software point of view, there are so many different languages that explaining what you studied in college is important. You don't have to have several years of experience to get a job, if you can show enough projects, material and stuff you worked on outside of college, and show that you know what you're talking about then you have a fairly good chance (of course it depends on the job).

A person can have 5 years of experience and none of it relevant to the job, and you can have none but have completed a project similar to what's being asked in the job. Who would you choose for the job??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Sorry, I meant to say I was mainly aiming at software jobs.

Thanks for the reply. I guess thats what I was thinking as well. I'll just try and list whats relevant and show I know what I say I do. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Post up your CV and we can critique it.

Overall though, print out your CV and get a red pen. For every category, or item, cross out the least important 40% of any points you have or sentences you've written. Aftet that you'll only be left with the pure gold in your CV.

Bonus points if you can get it down to 1 page:
    http://sampleresumetemplate.net/srt-resume.html

Advertisement