Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

logo...if only...

Options
  • 07-12-2010 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

I'm hitting huge 'technical walls' trying to design a logo. I'm the main facilitator at parents separated. I'm also chief logo maker... but not revelling in my own glory.. as i'm making a right haems of it... Any kind Santa helpers out there in Boardsville willing to help a... 'not overly experienced... damsel in distress?':(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Use a pic like this to make your own line art teddy bear. Don't make a straight copy and a happy teddy face would not be appropriate. Then use a basic font for 'Separated Parents' on 2 lines and align this to the right. Use 1 or 2 colours, not too bright and keep it simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ValPS

tricky D wrote: »
    Use a pic like this to make your own line art teddy bear. Don't make a straight copy and a happy teddy face would not be appropriate. Then use a basic font for 'Separated Parents' on 2 lines and align this to the right. Use 1 or 2 colours, not too bright and keep it simple.

I do appreciate your input... but alas... teddy bears are not for me. I need something a little less toy visual... But ta anyway !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

logoyes.com

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Heres something simple i made. To me the idea of parents separating effects the child most, and in reality its the child who get separated in the end. Anyways tis just an idea

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/separated.jpg/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

I think Val wouldnt ask here if she would need something that simple.. :rolleyes: she would just make it.

• Advertisement

ValPS wrote: »
    I do appreciate your input... but alas... teddy bears are not for me. I need something a little less toy visual... But ta anyway !!

Bear in mind the logo is for your audience, not you.
    softmee wrote: »
    I think Val wouldnt ask here if she would need something that simple.. :rolleyes: she would just make it.

Simple logos work best. While I didn't put much effort or thought into it, it has a metaphor which doesn't refer to the negative aspects of separation, but alludes to the child. Besides that, I have taken the trouble to make a suggestion, feel free to do so yourself instead of rolling the eyes.

steve_ wrote: »
    To me the idea of parents separating effects the child most, and in reality its the child who get separated in the end.

Nice idea

I;ve done something myself and still trying and simple design doesnt mean simple idea... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 claireebuyer

just wondering, what is the work that parents separated does please?
    what is the brand aim and what should the logo represent? Is there a clear ethos that you need to make sure the logo embodies?

Bear in mind the logo is for your audience, not you.

:confused: thats very strange thing to say. She is not selling anything... she is trying to help other parents.
    If you are doing something for free there is much more space for beeing yourself and showing what you like - this might connect you with people more like you, with the same ideas, life style etc.

I've checked my posts and can see no reference to selling.

You also seem to undervalue simplicity.

This is about creating an identity, not being yourself or showing what you like.

Instead of sniping, feel free to make a suggestion, ask a question or propose something that will helps the OP in their purpose.

Claireebuyer is asking some good questions.

• Advertisement

I made a suggestion already - the fact OP is not selling anything makes it more open and i've send her my idea already and still working on it.
    If she doesnt mind i will upload it here later on.

(and mine is simple too, but not childish i think)

(and mine is simple too, but not childish i think)

Good for you, but there's no need for the rolling eyes.

There's nothing wrong with a childish metaphor. Afterall the child element is an important part of this endeavour.

Dont take those emoticons too seriously, maybe it means something different to me and you got it wrong. ;)
    -and i dont know whats the point talking about teddy bear if op said its not for her.
    Do you think she shouldnt like her own logo?

Of course it would be nice that she would like her logo, but the primary purpose is to provide an identity for the audience which doesn't necessarily mean she has to like it.

Needs > likes.

Rollseyes implies sarcasm and contempt. Google it if you like.

I dont agree with you at all. If you give your heart to something - it must be very much you and that means it has to represent you at each level, so to for a succesfull company/ charity whatever it must be honest -no cheating. What you are talking about is marketing cheating and i dont like it.

Boards rolleyes look to me like they are smiling slightly -dont belive in google too much! :cool:

@softmee Given cetain matters that have come to light, I'll not engage with you further. Good luck to you on your travels.

Good luck OP in your endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GSV

ValPS wrote: »
    I'm hitting huge 'technical walls' trying to design a logo. I'm the main facilitator at parents separated. I'm also chief logo maker... but not revelling in my own glory.. as i'm making a right haems of it...

I think it helps to start out simple... and keep it simple! :)

I mean start with a basic design, take out or add and tweak bits until you have something you're happy with.
    You should bear in mind that at some point you may be trying to cover several formats, eg: Paper printing, screen printing garments, embroidery etc.

Here's an example of a simple design you could start with -

Parents%20Separated%20Logo.jpg
    This would be good for all formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I like the concept - but think the colours/fonts could do with being changed.

(I dont have any suggestions or any logo's to offer the OP - just came across this thread and thought I would comment)

• Advertisement

I know pcphoto -it is just a concept and i dont have time unfortunately to improve it, but if anyone has more time and more skills to work with it and if op likes it (?) go ahead... ;)

-and that is the oryginal idea :

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/8742/pslogoq.jpg

steve_ wrote: »
    Heres something simple i made. To me the idea of parents separating effects the child most, and in reality its the child who get separated in the end. Anyways tis just an idea

http://img801.imageshack.us/i/separated.jpg/

Steve.... had a look and ...sorry...no.... too structured... and toilet door looking...sorry if i offend...and i know... beggars can't be choosers... but... No...not for me...

p wrote: »
    logoyes.com

I'm just reading.. There is a catch... nothing until you are 100% satisfied !!

I;ve done something myself and still trying and simple design doesnt mean simple idea... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

True... i agree... its a matter of getting there !!

just wondering, what is the work that parents separated does please?
    what is the brand aim and what should the logo represent? Is there a clear ethos that you need to make sure the logo embodies?

Have a look for yourself www.parentsseparated.org
    that will explain...

GSV wrote: »
    I think it helps to start out simple... and keep it simple! :)

I mean start with a basic design, take out or add and tweak bits until you have something you're happy with.
    You should bear in mind that at some point you may be trying to cover several formats, eg: Paper printing, screen printing garments, embroidery etc.

Here's an example of a simple design you could start with -

Parents%20Separated%20Logo.jpg
    This would be good for all formats.

Not bad... Val likes... see...simple... but logo wise...it's Ronseal !! Nice one GVS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

I wonder would something more simple as a logo as a picture work? I.e. a colourfull umbrella sillouette. When people are connected in some way even if it is in a seperated sense they will comfortably 'huddle' beneath an umbrella in the 'rain' naturally. If two seperated parents and a child were caught in the rain they would both cover the child despite differences.

It kind of symbolises a lot of what relationships are about in a positive way in one picture. Plus it is a very simple logo (which is what a logo should be). Just put the tagline under the umbrella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

On the basis that 2 halves make a whole. Just an idea.

140129.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Very rough, rushed job, but my idea was a childs drawing of a house, on a jigsaw puzzle where one piece is separated...representing the broken family home.

The childs illustration reminds the viewer that it's about the children who are innocent partakers in the complications.

There are connotations also of the challenge/psychological aspect of the "puzzle" of family detachment.

It being a puzzle suggests also that it's about finding a solution to the problem.

parentsx.jpg

Advertisement