Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where were you when John Lennon was shot dead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Can't remember where I was when he was shot but I spent the next month listening to 'imagine' on the radio that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

It was thirty years ago today, Sergeant Pepper taught a band to play...

I know its a bit wrong, but its stuck in my head now, with that wording....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

meemeep wrote: »
    anyone remember a candlelight vigil outside Christchurch in Dublin - just a spur of the moment gathering, some guitars and lots of singing! 30 years - wow

Yup, read ze thread

Latchy wrote: »
    I was in Amsterdam staying with my sister getting ready to head home to Dublin via Hook of Hollond-Dover-London -Holyhead ( No Ryanair back then ) when at about 8 am the local Dutch radio kept playing Beatle /Lennon music which we though a bit strange but not understanding much dutch we switched over to BBC world service to hear what had taken place in NYC the previous hrs. I remember the long trip back with everybody glued to the red tops in disbelief ( I still have orriginal front page of daily mirror ) .

Even 48 hrs later it was still hard to take in and I remember a candle lit vigil was held at christ church cathedral by about 1000 people ,some with guitars singing beatle tunes , which I went along to . The Irony for me was that about 12 months earlier on a quiet street in Amsterdam , I had met with and got the autograph of Ringo Starr . I wasn't around to remember JFKS assassination but Lennons death was one of those were were you moements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

realies wrote: »
    I was out with me friends and went drinking and it was only later when we trying to get into the tv club

What's this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

TV Club used to be one of Dublins live music venues until it got demolished in 1990

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Since Lennon was shot at about 3:50am on Dec 9th Irish time, I was in bed, like I'm sure 95% of people in Ireland were!

I was only 6 at the time. Didn't really have any appreciation for who Lennon or The Beatles were, but it was an event that became one of my earliest memories and ironically, it was the event that turned me into a massive Beatles and Lennon fan. I still remember going to school that Tuesday morning and the teacher talking about it and using it to teach us about how there were such evil people in the World who would murder someone just because they refused to sign an autograph (that was what was believed to have been what happened at the time). And I still remember the Radio and TV being saturated with the story for week afterwards - something I hadn't seen the likes of in the music world since until Michael Jackson's death last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Pumping a saffron sheet of soft shíte into my cloth nappy.(Probably)
    I always assumed you were older for some reason. Although maybe you are...

Adult nappy there boss, sorry, should have mentioned that.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I was 10, in 5th class at the time. IIRC in school that day (after) we played some of his music on tapes, Imagine being the one repeated over and over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

A ship called the Fastnet rock.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

On being told of Elvis' death John Lennon reportedly said "Elvis died when he joined the army".

Twat.

It can be quite an enlivening experience.

I'll let Serendipity speak:
    So you were an artist! Big deal! Elvis was an artist. But that didn't stop him from joining the service in time of war. And that's why he's The King, and you're a schmuck

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was -3.5

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

I don't remember Lennon dying, although I have a very clear memory of Elvis Presley's death in '77 (I was 4). Didn't know who he was though - heard the king was dead and thought it was the king of Ireland!!

Ironically, I grew up to be a Beatles fan and totally indifferent to Elvis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Standing in front of him with a gun in my hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I was in Utero myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

What a way to find out everyone's age :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Standing in front of him with a gun in my hand.

*Facepalm*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Fcuck John Lennon and fcuck the rest of the bastards too.

Over-hyped Liverpool tossers.

It can be quite an enlivening experience.

It can be quite an endeadening experience too..not everybody wins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Degsy wrote: »
    It can be quite an endeadening experience too..not everybody wins.

Hence the adrenaline rush...

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Over-hyped Liverpool tossers.

That might work with your U2 bashing but the Beatles were worth every bit of praise thrown at them.

bonerm wrote: »
    That might work with your U2 bashing but the Beatles were worth every bit of praise thrown at them.

So you say...i happen to think they were appalling..thier music makes my feel physically sick...and whats more annoying is that Paul McCartney and the Hag Yoko Ono seem helbent on shoving them down our throats every so often as if they're expecting some sort of resurgence in interest in the band...the motives for all this are,of course purely financial..Macca is a well known tightwad and old One Leg had a few bob off him and that crazy old bitch Ono has been wallowing in Lennon's money and fame for years.
    Somebody should re-unite the lot of them with a couple of bullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

John Lennon was not just a founder member of any band . The Beatles became a social phenomenon so when that turd bag shot Lennon he robbed a wife of a husband ,children of a father and also robbed the world of a man ,only 40 years old who with his partner McCartney wrote classic pop songs that have stood the test of time .

The cretin who shot him apparently didn't have a beatle or Lennon record to his name so by that logic in killing Lennon he knew he would make it big time ....why ? For no other reason than klling the most famous person on the planet to achieve in an instant the fame , what it took the deceased to achieve with talent , over 20 odd years ...that's how big Lennon was and still is
    HA HA HA ..

AH Cowen, Lenihen and co have had enough hate thrown at them ...hmm ... maybe not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

So you say...i happen to think they were appalling..thier music makes my feel physically sick...and whats more annoying is that Paul McCartney and the Hag Yoko Ono seem helbent on shoving them down our throats every so often as if they're expecting some sort of resurgence in interest in the band...the motives for all this are,of course purely financial..Macca is a well known tightwad and old One Leg had a few bob off him and that crazy old bitch Ono has been wallowing in Lennon's money and fame for years.

If music be the food of love,play on.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ForceOfNature

There music makes you physically sick? hahahahahahahaha
    think its time you went back to listening to your jedward albums

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I wasn't born for another 10 months.

however, had I been a teenager when the beatles were going, i would have been well into paul - what a voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

also, if you don't like the beatles - the problem is you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I was 12 years old sitting in our local watching Monday Night Football with my father, uncle and teacher when they announced that he had been murdered.

It was surreal when I think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I was born... 2 years later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Having a lazer dump in the back lawn

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

I think he started out with some good ideas but then was corrupted by power. Not to the extent that Stalin was later though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

it was my 5th birthday

There music makes you physically sick? hahahahahahahaha
    think its time you went back to listening to your jedward albums

In my experience men who like the Beatles tend also to like Abba,Elton John and george Micheal.

Women who like them are usually single,in thier late 50's and pay for sex with younger men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

In my experience men who like the Beatles tend also to like Abba,Elton John and george Micheal.
    I assume you're being tongue-in-cheek?

I i would have been well into paul - what a voice.

I can see what women wouuld see in him alright,the crooked,stroke-victim face,the twitching head,the baggy eyes and the dyed hair.

If he wasnt rich he wouldnt be able to score in a brothel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Given that it took place at about 4 o'clock in the morning (Irish time), I was in bed.

Given that I was a student at the time I didn't get up until about 4'o clock the following afternoon. :P

Saw it on a headline in the Evening Herald. Or it might have been the Evening Press.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

I can see what women wouuld see in him alright,the crooked,stroke-victim face,the twitching head,the baggy eyes and the dyed hair.

If he wasnt rich he wouldnt be able to score in a brothel.

He was meant to do some beatle-ing, all the same.

Degsy your modus operandi is so transparent as to be quite boring. Why not try a counter-intituive move by declaring your love of All things Beatles?

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I assume you're being tongue-in-cheek?

Eh,no actually..the fact is that real men dont listen to teh beatles..they were the first boyboand marketed and manufactured to appeal to teenage gilrs.
    Sure they "developed" and grew moustaches and all that shiite but the fact remains they were a 1960's Take That that got older and fatter and more pretentious as time went on.

Thier music has no value whatsoever today and no social or emotional context..listening to it is like listening to the soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz or some shiite by Andrew Loyd Weber..suitable for "Friends of Dorothy" only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Eh,no actually..the fact is that real men dont listen to teh beatles..they were the first boyboand marketed and manufactured to appeal to teenage gilrs.
    Sure they "developed" and grew moustaches and all that shiite but the fact remains they were a 1960's Take That that got older and fatter and more pretentious as time went on.

Thier music has no value whatsoever today and no social or emotional context..listening to it is like listening to the soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz or some shiite by Andrew Loyd Weber..suitable for "Friends of Dorothy" only.

What's a Friend of Dorothy?

A gayer.

• Advertisement

What's a Friend of Dorothy?

A male Beatles fan.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Degsy don't post in this thread again. Please PM for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

How can anyone say The Beatles were manufactured?
    Just coz they grew mustaches and got older (seemingly unlike non-manufactured bands) - Such drivel.

A manufactured band is something forced together by a manager, producer or something like the X-Factor where the members wouldn’t even have known each other beforehand and where none of them have to exhibit any ability to compose two consecutive notes of music, oe even play an instrument and will try get a foothold in the marketplace by singing old covers before they’ll even attempt to release something original (written by someone else).

The Beatles was formed before they even met Brian Epstein and had even already met Ringo Starr - formed by the members themselves who were from the same area who had the same interest when Lennon invited McCartney and later Harrison to join his band The Quarrymen who later became Johnny and The Moondogs and then The Silver Beetles. A real band who played real instruments and who wrote real music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭Teddy_Picker

My arrival was 10 years away. :p

I would have loved to have been around to see John and The Beatles in their heyday, and hear all that fantastic music when it was fresh and new and exciting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Lennon himself said the whole Beatle expierence was based on a myth and image as much as music ,but an image that was also copied by other bands ie ,the Monkees ,the Byrds ( not to take away from the great music also made by those two bands ) and later on by the boy band explosion ie , he's the cute one , he's the serious one , he's the quite one etc, which is all part of the fame game essential to make it to the top .

The difference with the beatles was that behind that image was a band that had Lennon /McCartney,two young guys who had confidence and belief in their own abilities to write their own songs,to be competent musician's in the studio and the first band to experiment with studio wizardry .You only have to listen to their first 6 albums, please please me , with the beatles ,hard days night , revolver ,help and rubber soul to see how their craft developed , improvising when they needed to along the way

Lennon was a very self absorbed individual ,of that there's no doubt and even at the height of Beatlemania was pulling silly ,gormless faces at the cameras , took the piss out of everybody and anybody and could be quite cruel at times .But it was a facade to hide the deep insecuritys he had himself and it's later reflected in his solo career mainly writing about himself and Ono. Had he lived It would have being interesting to see how his style might have changed ,what direction and topics he might have seen fit to write about but as long as Ono was around her influences in the background would have played a big part in it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

So, how did your parole hearing go, Chapman?:confused:

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

inside mark chapman's head :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Some of their stuff like she loves you, i want to hold her hand etc is all bit sappy allright. But the likes of Helter Skelter and the white album are pure class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Latchy wrote: »
    Lennon himself said the whole Beatle expierence was based on a myth and image as much as music ,but an image that was also copied by other bands ie ,the Monkees ,the Byrds ( not to take away from the great music also made by those two bands ) and later on by the boy band explosion ie , he's the cute one , he's the serious one , he's the quite one etc, which is all part of the fame game essential to make it to the top .

Yer wrong about the monkees, they were 100% manufactured and daydream believer was written by Neil Diamond. They didn't make any great music, they just played someone elses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ForceOfNature

haha i would love to hear who your favourite band is!
    all you have mentioned so far is george michael and elton john.... are they your heroes? actually you also mentioned the wizard of oz....

Advertisement