Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where were you when John Lennon was shot dead?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I was holding a gun :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Degsy wrote: »
    Eh,no actually..the fact is that real men dont listen to teh beatles..they were the first boyboand marketed and manufactured to appeal to teenage gilrs.
    Sure they "developed" and grew moustaches and all that shiite but the fact remains they were a 1960's Take That that got older and fatter and more pretentious as time went on.

Thier music has no value whatsoever today and no social or emotional context..listening to it is like listening to the soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz or some shiite by Andrew Loyd Weber..suitable for "Friends of Dorothy" only.

Where to start? They were slogging their guts out in Hamburg, doing three two hour shows a day and living in total squalor and living on a combination of German beer and amphetamines long before they ever had a manager. They were a very tight band, even before Ringo came along.

The Beatles weren't a boy band because a) they could play their own instruments and b) they wrote their own songs. Elvis was completely wigged-out and intimidated by this; they re-wrote the rules of popular music.

Don't even mention The Beatles and ALW in the same sentence to me. To me, Sgt. Pepper wasn't their seminal LP, it was 'The White Album' - they single-handedly invented most of the modern genres of pop music with that statement and re-invented some lost by the demise of music-hall.

Older and fatter? Lennon was taken at forty when he was beginning to re-emerge as a serious singer-songwriter, Harrison died a couple of years after he near beat an burgler to death. McCartney still plays 2 1/2 shows and as for Ringo?...nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Yer wrong about the monkees, they were 100% manufactured and daydream believer was written by Neil Diamond. They didn't make any great music, they just played someone elses.

Yeah that's correct they didn't write or play any instruments on their songs because they were contracted not to ( the tv ratings /record sales were more important to the studio big wigs ) but was thinking more of the image created for the monkees characters based on the Beatles (aka hard days night ) .John Lennon on one of the american chat shows back in the 70s said that the Beatlemania scenes were based on real life events that happened in London and Dublin and the Byrds said seeing the hard days night film had a big influence on them to .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

30 years tomorrow.

I was only a kid in school at the time but I remember my father being very upset that day as he was a Beatles maniac. They says its the "JFK moment" of the music world so where you on the 8-12-80?

Floating around in an embryotic sac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

In Communist Russia Beatles love Degsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ForceOfNature

:) he shoots he scores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I wasn't born till 87, so I say up in heaven as an Angel singing Imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Well back in the USSR, all you needed was love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

i was in me auntie's hand me downs with a trail of snot hangin out me nose watching HR Pufenstein

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Superbus wrote: »
    Well back in the USSR, all you needed was love.

In the USSR John Lennon doesn't say peace, he says War. And he doesn't give the peace sign, he gives the you-know-what sign.

BTW RIP John Lennon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Latchy wrote: »

The cretin who shot him apparently didn't have a beatle or Lennon record to his name

Not strictly true Latchy.

Didn't Lennon sign that arsehole's copy of Double Fantasy the day he died?

Wonder what happened to that?:confused:

Anyway, as a 'Beatle' myself, respect to your posting on this thread.:)

Not strictly true Latchy.

Didn't Lennon sign that arsehole's copy of Double Fantasy the day he died?
    Oh Yeah ..you got me on that one SC .
    Wonder what happened to that?:confused:
    Now that is interesting .Any person arrested on a such a serious charge would have his clothes and all possesions taken and kept for forensic evidence ie,fingerprints . However who's to say that like a lot of stuff kept in police custody it hasn't 'dissapeared ' and in the possession of a somebody who's hanging onto it ....or just waiting to be sold for the right price ? But it would be very macabre ( to say the least ) owning something like that
    Anyway, as a 'Beatle' myself, respect to your posting on this thread.:)
    Thank you sir and as another Beatle perhaps we should get the other two and reform :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Oh Yeah ..you got me on that one SC .

Now that is interesting .Any person arrested on a such a serious charge would have his clothes and all possesions taken and kept for forensic evidence ie,fingerprints . However who's to say that like a lot of stuff kept in police custody it hasn't 'dissapeared ' and in the possession of a somebody who's hanging onto it ....or just waiting to be sold for the right price ? But it would be very macabre ( to say the least ) owning something like that

Thank you sir and as another Beatle perhaps we should get the other two and reform :)

I remember something in recent years where that album was auctioned off, but I can't be arsed Googling it.

But it would be very macabre ( to say the least ) owning something like that

Not to mention valuble!

That would be worth a mint!

I think my mortgage would be vaporised by it's value.:D

I want to know where it is........& I wanna know now!!!!!!!!!!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Arts student

Degsy wrote: »
    Eh,no actually..the fact is that real men dont listen to teh beatles..they were the first boyboand marketed and manufactured to appeal to teenage gilrs.
    Sure they "developed" and grew moustaches and all that shiite but the fact remains they were a 1960's Take That that got older and fatter and more pretentious as time went on.

Thier music has no value whatsoever today and no social or emotional context..listening to it is like listening to the soundtrack to the Wizard of Oz or some shiite by Andrew Loyd Weber..suitable for "Friends of Dorothy" only.

Yeah Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road were such manufacturated, crappy, bubblegum pop records devoid of any creativity or musicial genius weren't they?

Tell me and all the other girly men this, what do macho men such as yourself listen to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Yeah Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road were such manufacturated, crappy, bubblegum pop records devoid of any creativity or musicial genius weren't they?

Tell me and all the other girly men this, what do macho men such as yourself listen to?

You're called 'arts student'?... Quick everyone, get your popcorn ready!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was givin' Yoko one in the back of the limo...interrupted me rhythm that shot did...

Up yours,

Ringo:pac:

You're called 'arts student'?... Quick everyone, get your popcorn ready!

And you're called 'landsleaving'.

Thinking of emigrating shortly? :pac:

Not to mention valuble!

That would be worth a mint!

Very Valuable and how do you ,or what price do you put on something like that ? .Suppose the answer is whoever is willing to pay the highest price and people with money to burn, if they want something like this bad enough, will pay any price of the asking .( assuming it was up for sale )
    I think my mortgage would be vaporised by it's value.:D

Be nice to have it in the vault for a rainy day ..for sure :pac:

I want to know where it is........& I wanna know now!!!!!!!!!!:pac:
    Suppose a search of google might be one way of finding out .I remember wondering whatever happened to the limo that Kennedy was travelling in on that day in Dallas and I think it's now kept in a museam someplace ( refurbished to )

• Advertisement

Very Valuable and how do you ,or what price do you put on something like that ? .Suppose the answer is whoever is willing to pay the highest price and people with money to burn, if they want something like this bad enough, will pay any price of the asking .( assuming it was up for sale )

Apparently, it's up for sale now.

According to the Daily Telegraph ( dammit, I can 't do links), it's up for £500,000 at the mo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

And you're called 'landsleaving'.

Thinking of emigrating shortly? :pac:

I think you're missing the point somewhat.

Apparently, it's up for sale now.

According to the Daily Telegraph ( dammit, I can 't do links), it's up for £500,000 at the mo..

:eek:

/ falls back of chair ..legs in the air ......

Er ...one scratch on that LP and I'm out of the bidding :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Be nice to have it in the vault for a rainy day ..for sure :pac:

Suppose a search of google might be one way of finding out .I remember wondering whatever happened to the limo that Kennedy was travelling in on that day in Dallas and I think it's now kept in a museam someplace ( refurbished to )

I would imagine considering half his brain was on the back seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Justin Bieber.

I would imagine considering half his brain was on the back seat.

The brain matter was washed off back seat in less than an hr .The bodywork (bullet holes ) took a bit longer to fix .

Advertisement