Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

head collar/ halti type?

• 07-12-2010 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭

My new (rescue) dog fights with me (not aggressive but jumps and wriggles against me) so much that she can get out of her collar/harness. I was left with harness in hand yesterday while she ran off like a bullet causing cars to have to brake suddenly on icy roads :( Todays walk was a nightmare since she knows that she managed to get away from me yesterday she was trying her damnedest today.
    Would a halti type collar be useful for an escape artiste type dog? She needs a LOT of training but at the minute I don't seem to be able to get the most basic thing sorted :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

http://www.dogmatic.org.uk/

get her one of these.. they are fab... i tried EVERYTHING...gentle leader, halti, harness etc and my cocker still pulled like a fecker... this collar is brillant!! have it 3 years now and its brillant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Anyone know of any of these type of collars that would fit a (small) Yorkie? I bought a size 0 halti before and was too big!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I second the dogmatic, they are brilliant.

I have one for my male rottie and never walk him in anything else. Harnesses are not suitable for dogs that pull as a harness is a piece of equipment that is used on dogs for pulling things so they are the total wrong thing to use on a strong dog that pulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

+1 on the dogmatic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Thanks . The dogmatic looks like the biz. I got the harness as I hated feeling like she was choking with just the collar and lead and it seemed easier for a couple of days and then we started going backwards again. If I can get walking sorted then maybe I'll be able to start on the other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭luvdogs

The dogmatic are great, i have a couple too.....but google "gencon" ,
    they work in a figure of eight and tighten if the dog pulls...if you get the "all in one" which is a headcollar with lead attached, it will fit any size/breed! find them fantastic, they dont ride up over the eyes and great control!
    i`ll see if i can find a link and add it on! you have to pay by post but the service is really good! i`ve told a few about these before and anyone whos tried them, have been thrilled with them! def worth a look :cool:

www.gencon-allin1.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I use the Canny Collar and it seems quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

I've recently switched from a harness to the Gentle Leader and it is a huge improvement, no more pulling and no more sniffing every blade of grass :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sassychick

Hi guys does anybody know if these dogmatic tings be good for a boxer dog???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

http://www.k9shop.ie/ Chat to Michelle from this site. She sorted me out with one for my lab, they do sizes for boxers aswell. I find my great, much better than the halti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 quarry

If you try a Halti there's a great article on the Oh My Dog website called "The Hound Who Hates His Halti" by Emmaline Duffy Fallon from Citizen Canine Ireland:

http://www.ohmydog.ie/articles-halti.html

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

RubyGirl wrote: »
    http://www.k9shop.ie/ Chat to Michelle from this site. She sorted me out with one for my lab, they do sizes for boxers aswell. I find my great, much better than the halti.

Dogmatic are the business. Got 2 for my GSDs from the k9shop and theyve been a lifesaver

So in the end I got a gentle leader and now 2 months on and walking is a lot easier but by no means perfect. She still fights with the headcollar and has figured out how to undo the lead clip with her teeth :eek: so I'm now back to 2 leads, one each with headcollar and regular collar. She can also slip out of the regular collar quickly if she puts her mind to it but it buys me a few seconds if she undoes the lead clip. Shoulda called her houdini :rolleyes:

So it's obviously not working out so well so maybe it's time to splash out on a dogmatic. Is there anyone here who has used both gentle leader and dogmatic? I can't quite tell from pictures if the hoop where the lead attaches is closer to the dogs chin that the gentle leader? if not.... then it won't fix my problem.

On the pictures on the front page of the dogmatic website www.dogmatic.org.uk there is one (pink one) that looks shorter than the others... is that bit adjustible?
    I hope I'm making sense :o I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something that is not much different to what I have already.

littlebug wrote: »
    So in the end I got a gentle leader and now 2 months on and walking is a lot easier but by no means perfect. She still fights with the headcollar and has figured out how to undo the lead clip with her teeth :eek: so I'm now back to 2 leads, one each with headcollar and regular collar. She can also slip out of the regular collar quickly if she puts her mind to it but it buys me a few seconds if she undoes the lead clip. Shoulda called her houdini :rolleyes:

So it's obviously not working out so well so maybe it's time to splash out on a dogmatic. Is there anyone here who has used both gentle leader and dogmatic? I can't quite tell from pictures if the hoop where the lead attaches is closer to the dogs chin that the gentle leader? if not.... then it won't fix my problem.

On the pictures on the front page of the dogmatic website www.dogmatic.org.uk there is one (pink one) that looks shorter than the others... is that bit adjustible?
    I hope I'm making sense :o I just don't want to spend a lot of money on something that is not much different to what I have already.

Hey littlebug...ive never used the gentle leader....neither of mine would be the gentle sort!! But I use a dogmatic on both of them and its a pleasure to walk both of them. There is loop below the chin and i guess it dangles down maybe 2inches. On this loop there is a metal ring which you clip your lead onto...there is no way that they can get the lead off and I love the way the dogmatic ties behind their heads. In the pics Marlowe (white) is modelling the size 3L and Ruby is modelling the size 3 lol

kopfan77 wrote: »
    Hey littlebug...ive never used the gentle leader....neither of mine would be the gentle sort!! But I use a dogmatic on both of them and its a pleasure to walk both of them. There is loop below the chin and i guess it dangles down maybe 2inches. On this loop there is a metal ring which you clip your lead onto...there is no way that they can get the lead off and I love the way the dogmatic ties behind their heads. In the pics Marlowe (white) is modelling the size 3L and Ruby is modelling the size 3 lol

Thanks Kopfan77. Gorgeous dogs :)
    Maybe the fact that it's a loop rather than a single strand would make a difference. It's worth a shot I suppose though it's expensive!

littlebug wrote: »
    Thanks Kopfan77. Gorgeous dogs :)
    Maybe the fact that it's a loop rather than a single strand would make a difference. It's worth a shot I suppose though it's expensive!

Yeah, I know theyre not cheap, but one thing i can say is that they will last a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

We have the Dogmatic from the K9Shop for our GSD and its a fantastic thing altogether! Well worth the extra, are all machine washable and last a long time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

I've just bought a Dogmatic headcollar for our Golden Retriever and he hates it. At the moment I'm putting it on him for only very short periods, and praising him and treating him while wearing it. But he's constantly trying to pull it off, he lies down on the ground and wriggles around and basically does anything except walk when he's wearing the collar. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Taceom wrote: »
    I've just bought a Dogmatic headcollar for our Golden Retriever and he hates it. At the moment I'm putting it on him for only very short periods, and praising him and treating him while wearing it. But he's constantly trying to pull it off, he lies down on the ground and wriggles around and basically does anything except walk when he's wearing the collar. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong?

It's kind of normal :p

Does he usually like his walks?

I'd try getting him all excited, slipping it on, then keep going, ignoring what he's doing. I don't mean drag him along on his back or anything but ignore the unwanted behaviour and as soon as he stands or walks LOADS of "good boys"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yep, completely normal:D My rottie is wearing his nearly 4 years now and he still tries to get his off at the start of his walk but eventually gives up. I just distract him and correct him and he gives up as he knows it gets him nowhere.

Whispered wrote: »
    It's kind of normal :p

Does he usually like his walks?

"

He usually loves his walks, so when he puts on his "you don't seriously expect me to wear this" look almost makes me want to back down and take the collar off. I will persist though.
    Thanks for your advice.

andreac wrote: »
    Yep, completely normal:D My rottie is wearing his nearly 4 years now and he still tries to get his off at the start of his walk but eventually gives up. I just distract him and correct him and he gives up as he knows it gets him nowhere.

Ok, so distraction seems to be the trick. Thank you.

The dogmatic has been brilliant for us and has made a big difference to walks. She will still fight it now and again but is easily enough distracted, except if she sees a cat then she will fight it like her life depends on it.

Advertisement