Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forthcoming water restrictions

Options
  • 07-12-2010 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up that there will be water restrictions imposed by Fingal CC in the coming days. Looks like D15 is scheduled for Friday night when the water will be shut off from 7pm to 7am on Saturday morning. More details can be found here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

oh right, we thought ours was off last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Here's the link to the Excel sheet, hard to see this on the Fingal Co. Co. website. I thought Clonee/Littlepace would be affected but it seems it won't.

Download FCC Night Time Shut Downs - xls - 71KBkbs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Is it a complete shut off or just a reduction in pressure ? Maybe these water meters are a good idea if it stops the fools from keeping their taps running all night to stop it from freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭SoulRock

Maybe im just being cynical, but this seems like a softning up to prepare us to pay for our water, hence water meters being installed...

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cscook

I thought it was meant to be 7 pm to 7 am, but it's almost 9 and we still don't have any back after the scheduled outage last night in the Carpenterstown area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 reduct101

Same for us in Laurel Lodge - still no water at 08:55. Called Fingal's "emergency" number a few minutes ago and the girl who took the call didn't have a clue. Hope it wasn't her job to turn it back on ;)

Did anyone hear anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cscook

There's now a recorded message on the after-hours line saying it will be back fully by 11 am. The "reservoirs are being turned back on".

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

We are in Carpenterstown....water came back at about 10:30. I took a shower at 11:15 and water went again?? Anyone else have the same problem or have I emptied our tank while having a shower??

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭iMADEtheBBC

Yes, possibly you have emptied the tank, I'm in the same position. Both tanks in our attic are empty so I can only guess that the water pressure is too low to refill them. Looks like it'll take a few hours, there's not a drip going into the tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭tskk

I just rang fingal. Told them the water came on then I took a shower and its gone again. Is coming into the tap in the kitchen but pressure slow. She seemed surprised that it went again upstairs but said the demand is very high again so to leave for awhile......will see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Still no water here in the Delwood area. I figured they would have turned the supply back on by now (3pm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it's very annoying that they didn't give proper times on their website for the last few nights. they also need to give a little more notice if possible i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Water off tonight in much of D15 again..

"Wed 22nd Dec - Clonsilla, Clonee, Castaheany, Huntstown, Hansfield,Ongar,Mulhuddart, Blanchardstown, Barnhill, Westmanstown"

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Water/CustomerServicesEmergencyNotices/EmergencyInformationUpdates/FCC%20Night%20Time%20Shut%20Downs%2020th%20to%2022nd%20Dec%202010.xls

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

No mention of tonight on the Fingal CoCo site... anyone know if it's getting turned off again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Anyone else in Clonee not have any water?

Mines gone and tanks are empty. Was wondering if it's a local problem

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I got no water in the hot tap. (clonsilla)

Don't know about tank...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Alice1

I'm in Clonsilla too - have had no water since yesterday. Melting snow to flush the loo! Using bottled water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dubdec99

I'm up near Ongar...no water today.

Anyone know if it's fingal county council doing it or is it caused by frozen mains pipes somewhere?

We had no water cos of frozen pipes. My husband opened the "shore" outside and poured warm (not boiling) water onto the stopcock thingy. Water is back on - soooo a lotta dirty children will be washed tonight!

Ali

Sitting on the couch and suddenly I hear big noise in kitchen.

Water pouring through the light fitting. Water all over kitchen floor. Ran upstairs. Water all over bedroom floor. Leak in ensuite?? I stopped the water in the tank and cut off all the water coming into the house etc

Need to call a plumber now :(

• Advertisement

Oooops! That sounds bad AM, did you get hold of a plumber?

Thanks for asking Alice. No, I'm away for a couple of days. So just cut off water supply etc so leak stopped so will get plumber when I come back and worry about it then.

Disaster! :mad:

But could be a lot worse I suppose! :rolleyes:

more info up now but no times
    Mon 27th Dec - Swords, Feltrim, Drynam and Skerries

Tues 28th Dec - Lusk, Rush and Baldoyle

Wed 29th Dec - Malahide and Portmarnock

Thurs 30th Dec - Balbriggan and Balrothery

Sun 2nd Jan - Swords, Cloghran, Kinsealy, and parts of Malahide

Mon 3rd Jan - Castleknock, Carpenterstown, Hartstown, Huntstown, Blanchardstown, Blakestown and Clonsilla

Tues 4th Jan - Clonsilla, Clonee, Barnhill, Westmanstown, Castaheany, Huntstown, Hansfield, Ongar, Blanchardstown and Mulhuddart.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Water/CustomerServicesEmergencyNotices/EmergencyInformationUpdates/#d.en.30721

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I saw the lack of times, I think they are just rolling on the 7pm to 7am cut off.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's been updated...
    Due to an unprecedented demand on water supply in the Dublin Region, reservoirs across the region are at critical levels. Because of this increase in demand, water supply will be restricted across the coming days in order to secure the reservoirs.
    During the restricted periods there should be adequate supplies in your household water tank for very moderate household use. Please do not run appliances such as washing machines and diswashers during the restricted periods. We urge everyone across the county to conserve water during this period - go to www.taptips.ie for ideas on how to conserve water.
    RESTRICTED HOURS WILL RUN FROM 6pm TO 10am ON THE DAYS LISTED BELOW. THIS LIST WILL BE REGULARLY REVIEWED.

Monday 27th December from 6pm to 10am
    Swords, Feltrim, Drynam, Skerries, Lusk, Rush, Baldoyle and Howth Areas (Offington and Duncarraig)

Tuesday 28th December from 6pm to 10am
    Malahide, Portmarnock, Balbriggan and Balrothery

Wednesday 29th December from 6pm to 10am
    Dublin 15 areas and parts of Swords.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I know they need to do something, but 6pm to 10am is a bit excessive imo. Maybe increase the frequency so each area is restricted a every 3 days or something.

Had a burst pipe myself this morning. Fortunately it was in the garage and not the house, that could have been disastrous. Got someone to stop it gushing for the moment and he'll fix it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭ongarite

My water is off in Ongar today. Heard there has been a few apartments flooded overnight with burst pipes, flooding from the melting snow.
    Luckily no water leaks for me so far.

6pm-10am is ****ing shocking if you ask me. i'd rather have no water for a whole week from 1am-6am than be without from 6pm-10am on one day. the times just don't suit the majority of people.

am i missing some simple reason why it has to be 6pm-10am?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They can't handle the demand at that time. Seems to me the problem is they have don't know where leaks are, so can't pinpoint the area to cut off. So they cut off whole areas instead. I don't understand how they don't have enough water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Random wrote: »
    6pm-10am is ****ing shocking if you ask me. i'd rather have no water for a whole week from 1am-6am than be without from 6pm-10am on one day. the times just don't suit the majority of people.

am i missing some simple reason why it has to be 6pm-10am?
    Probably because they are trying to save water and a relatively small amount gets used between those hours as most are asleep, they have to target times when usage is high

Advertisement