Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forthcoming water restrictions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

it's annoying that it takes so many hours for the water to come back on after it's due to be back on :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

This is going to raise the interest in rainwater havesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Thaedydal wrote: »
    They have changed the site again.

Just wish they'd update their spreadsheet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Heres an interesting idea from my Da.

He thinks this is a way into water charges. You know the ole you are having all these problems because your not paying for it and in turn we cant afford to maintain the pipes etc.

It all boils down(bad pun) to wasting the celtic tiger years and not improving our infrastructure .

Water charges were coming anyway. They've been talking about them for years.

AFAIK Most countries have them.

• Advertisement

Yes, but this is like a brainwashing exercise. People cant shower etc, they(or most of them)will pay any amount if they think these problems will go away forever. Its the old make people think its broken, return it to normal and charge them for the privilege.

Also most other countries are cheaper in other areas, so that the water charges aren't an extra burden on people already struggling to survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, I don't mind paying if it guarantees the water will be on. I lived in a country where they had water charges, that was usually about 8 euro every 3 months so I'm hoping it'll be something similar here.

Im getting deja vu with the start of bin charges. Ah sure its only x, thats not to bad, then it when up and up....

jeffk wrote: »
    Yes, but this is like a brainwashing exercise. People cant shower etc, they(or most of them)will pay any amount if they think these problems will go away forever. Its the old make people think its broken, return it to normal and charge them for the privilege.

Also most other countries are cheaper in other areas, so that the water charges aren't an extra burden on people already struggling to survive.

But it is broken, its been broken for ages.

What sense is there in giving unlimited water for free. to everyone.

http://www.givingwhatwecan.org/resources/how-rich-you-are.php

Eh because people cant afford it and most wont pay it ala the last time. My Da ran into town to pay the last time, most people didnt do the same, water rates where scrapped, those who paid lost out, those who didnt got water and kept their money.

Now I cant set a date on it, but im sure there wasnt a recession on at the time. You think people who cant afford a house are going to pay this time. I see buckets of rainwater and cheap lidl/aldi water being the norm, not water charges.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Heres an interesting idea from my Da.

He thinks this is a way into water charges. You know the ole you are having all these problems because your not paying for it and in turn we cant afford to maintain the pipes etc.

It all boils down(bad pun) to wasting the celtic tiger years and not improving our infrastructure .

The UK has had water rates for years and half of Northern Ireland have been without water for weeks. At least the majority of the Republic have just had the odd disruption here and there.

What it boils down to is that we've rarely had this cold weather for as long a period and it's never been a problem before. The last two winters it has been. Nothing to do with brain washing or government conspiracies.

Eh because people cant afford it and most wont pay it ala the last time. My Da ran into town to pay the last time, most people didnt do the same, water rates where scrapped, those who paid lost out, those who didnt got water and kept their money.

Now I cant set a date on it, but im sure there wasnt a recession on at the time. You think people who cant afford a house are going to pay this time. I see buckets of rainwater and cheap lidl/aldi water being the norm, not water charges.

The water rates will be metered, meaning you pay for what you use. Those who "can't afford" to pay it will get it payed by the social welfare just like the bin charges. It'll be the people that are barely above the breadline will feel it most, just like always.
    Anyway, if people are careful with their water and only use what they need, instead of washing cars and watering gardens with their hoses on full blast, they won't have to pay that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I wonder how much a water butt/barrel is, I am sure there are ways of being more self sustaining but it will just take effort.
    As for paying for drinking water, when they stop with the floride I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Polar101 wrote: »
    Well, I don't mind paying if it guarantees the water will be on. I lived in a country where they had water charges, that was usually about 8 euro every 3 months so I'm hoping it'll be something similar here.

This is Ireland. It will more likely be €80 every 3 months.

This is Ireland. It will more likely be €80 every 3 months.

The new water rates will be metered, meaning you only pay for what you use. If you're not wasting water on stupid things then you won't be paying too much. Charges will be based on the amount used above a free allocation. So again, if you use your water sparingly and don't waste it, you might not even have to pay for it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 obie_22

I think we should pay for water. Hopefully it will deter those who waste the precious resource!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

obie_22 wrote: »
    I think we should pay for water. Hopefully it will deter those who waste the precious resource!

Is that you Brian...

obie_22 wrote: »

I agree. It pisses me off something awful in the Summer when I see the neighbours out washing the 3 cars in his drive with a hose on full power and then he stops for a chat with someone and leaves the hose running into the drain while he gossips.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I agree. It pisses me off something awful in the Summer when I see the neighbours out washing the 3 cars in his drive with a hose on full power and then he stops for a chat with someone and leaves the hose running into the drain while he gossips.

Ha. I'm in Swords. They've been cutting off most areas during different nights. The morning of the last cut off I was out after the water was turned back on. I saw a guy power hosing down his driveway. I don't know why. Some people just don't get it. They have to be hit in their wallet.

I heard John Gormley on the radio this morning. He said there would be a free allowance for everyone. Once you go over the allowance you start paying. So if you want to powerhose your drive you can. You just have to pay for it.

Ha. I'm in Swords. They've been cutting off most areas during different nights. The morning of the last cut off I was out after the water was turned back on. I saw a guy power hosing down his driveway. I don't know why. Some people just don't get it. They have to be hit in their wallet.

I heard John Gormley on the radio this morning. He said there would be a free allowance for everyone. Once you go over the allowance you start paying. So if you want to powerhose your drive you can. You just have to pay for it.

Exactly. People are too lazy to walk back and forth to the tap to fill a watering can a few times when watering the garden, so they plug in the hose and soak the place.
    I was worried about the rates when I thought they'd just be a set rate for everyone. Why should I pay the same as the guy across the road who never turns his hose off when I collect rain water to water the garden?
    But once I heard it's going to be metered I'm fine with it.

I know it's the last thing anyone seems to think about these days but from an environmental point of view it can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Metering won't solve the problems necessarily. My friend in Belfast pays £30 per month in water rates, and has been without water for the past week!

athtrasna wrote: »
    Metering won't solve the problems necessarily. My friend in Belfast pays £30 per month in water rates, and has been without water for the past week!

That was my point exactly. The water rates won't all go to upgrading the pipes under the ground that crack in the cold weather. It'll go to funding the day to day running of the water system, hopefully reducing how much the government has to spend on it.
    So the idea that the current shortages are some sort of government brainwashing to make us think we need meters is ridiculous and shows how little some people actually know about how things work.

That was my point exactly. The water rates won't all go to upgrading the pipes under the ground that crack in the cold weather. It'll go to funding the day to day running of the water system, hopefully reducing how much the government has to spend on it.
    So the idea that the current shortages are some sort of government brainwashing to make us think we need meters is ridiculous and shows how little some people actually know about how things work.

TICKLE_ME_ELMO can you drop it please, its something my Da said, not me, and hes obviously not on boards to defend himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1230/1224286488533.html
    MORE THAN 150,000 homes in Dublin and Wicklow could be left without guaranteed drinking water “for years” if an unstable 19th century water tunnel collapses, Dublin City Council has said.

The Vartry water tunnel, which runs through the Wicklow Mountains, “could suffer a partial or total collapse at any point in time,” the council said.

However, it said it would not be in a position to build a replacement tunnel until 2013 – if government finances were available at that time.

The 4km-long tunnel was constructed in the 1860s to bring drinking water to Dublin through a rock-lined passage bored through the Wicklow Mountains. Its daily flow of 80 million litres represents about 20 per cent of the total of the water supply to the greater Dublin area.

Failure of the tunnel would lead to the loss of water supply to vast areas of south Dublin-north Wicklow, much of which cannot be serviced, even on a temporary basis, by any alternative Dublin supply source, the council said.

Investigations undertaken within the past two years by external consultants on behalf of the city council uncovered a fault line in the rock which could collapse at any time.

“The good news is that it has been there for 140 years; the bad new is that if it does collapse, it would cause huge disruption and significant supply problems for an extended time,” Tom Leahy, executive manager with the council said.

Dublin City Council wanted to build a “bypass pipe” parallel to the existing pipe and approximately 1km long, Mr Leahy added. More exploration was needed before the cost was determined, but he said it was likely to be in the region of €10 to €20 million.

“Unfortunately, as with any capital project, and particularly in the current difficult times, it is a question of when funding will be made available by central government. We are hopeful but 2013 is probably the earliest it could be done.”

The construction work could be done over an 18-month period and would cause no disruption to residents, Mr Leahy said. “Nobody will even notice it’s there.”

The Vartry system, including the tunnel and the treatment plant, is the only source of supply to north Wicklow, as well as being the primary source of supply for a considerable portion of the administrative areas of Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council and Dublin City Council.

A report contained in the council’s budget for 2011 states: “Studies have indicated that this rock-lined tunnel is not stable and could suffer a partial or total collapse at any point in time.”

It adds: “Any failure of this rock-lined tunnel would deprive over 150,000 customers of guaranteed availability of drinking water for months or years.”

TICKLE_ME_ELMO can you drop it please, its something my Da said, not me, and hes obviously not on boards to defend himself.

I'll gladly drop it, but you're the one that brought your da's comments on to the board in the first place. If you didn't want people discussing them maybe you should have kept it to yourself.

I'll gladly drop it, but you're the one that brought your da's comments on to the board in the first place. If you didn't want people discussing them maybe you should have kept it to yourself.

You had your say on it around 3, then decide to have another chip @ it at 11. I dont see why you needed to drag up something you previously commented on 8 hours ago.

Anyways thanks for reminding me why I cut right down on posting on boards! Now back on topic...

You had your say on it around 3, then decide to have another chip @ it at 11. I dont see why you needed to drag up something you previously commented on 8 hours ago.

Anyways thanks for reminding me why I cut right down on posting on boards! Now back on topic...

I wasn't even talking to you the second time. I was agreeing with the poster above.
    I didn't realise we were only allowed express an opinion once. My bad. I'll know for the future.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

MOD NOTE: tickle_me_elmo and jeffk, try to stay on topic please. No further warnings will be issued!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Access to water is a basic human right so it should be free up to a point, i.e. sufficient amount to carry out your day to day living. What should be charged for is excessive use an wastage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

Further restrictions from this evening onwards:
    Friday 7th Jan : 7pm to 9am(Sat)
    Malahide, Portmarnock, Balbriggan, Bremore, Balrothery, Clonsilla, Porterstown, Clonee, Barnhill, Westmanstown, Lucan, Littlepace, Castaheany, Huntstown, Hansfield/Ongar, Mulhuddart, Blanchardstown and Kinsealy(part)

Saturday 8th Jan : 7pm to 10am(Sun)
    Swords, Cloghran/Baskin, Mulhuddart, Castleknock, Farmleigh, Blanchardstown, Carpenterstown, Huntstown(part), Hartstown, Blakestown and Clonsilla

Sunday 9th Jan : 7pm to 7am(Mon)
    Swords, Kinsealy(part), Skerries, Lusk, Rush, Loughshinny and Baldoyle

Monday 10th Jan : 7pm to 7am(Tue)
    Malahide, Portmarnock, Balbriggan, Bremore, Balrothery, Clonsilla, Porterstown, Clonee, Barnhill, Westmanstown, Lucan, Littlepace, Castaheany, Huntstown(part), Hansfield/Ongar, Mulhuddart, Blanchardstown and Kinsealy(part)

Tuesday 11th Jan : 7pm to 7am(Wed)
    Swords, Cloghran/Baskin, Mulhuddart, Castleknock, Farmleigh, Blanchardstown, Carpenterstown, Huntstown(part), Hartstown, Blakestown and Clonsilla

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Water/CustomerServicesEmergencyNotices/EmergencyInformationUpdates/#d.en.30721

Advertisement