Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charter discussion

Options
  • 07-12-2010 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

This thread is for discussion of updates or modifications to the charter. It is not for the airing of complaints regarding moderator decisions. If you have issues with such decisions, follow the process.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I like it, reduced stickies are good too.
    If I were to comment I would suggest that the events listing could be made more predominant somehow. I realise other sites have similar calenders but I think the boards cycling forum should have an event list of its own which contains big events and small local fund raisers. It has grown in 2010 and I reckon next year it could be a great tool and improvement to the forum.
    Thats my 2c.
    Well done mods

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I like it, reduced stickies are good too.
    If I were to comment I would suggest that the events listing could be made more predominant somehow. I realise other sites have similar calenders but I think the boards cycling forum should have an event list of its own which contains big events and small local fund raisers. It has grown in 2010 and I reckon next year it could be a great tool and improvement to the forum.
    Thats my 2c.
    Well done mods

Captain Havoc was looking at this alright, perhaps using google calendar. There is also the calendar system on boards which could work with some modifications. I stuck up a request to see what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nice and simple, but the rules on racing spoilers are over-abbreviated. There will be fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Nice and simple, but the rules on racing spoilers are over-abbreviated. There will be fights.

Do you mean someone might say "But it's midnight here in Australia, so technically it's ok?"

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Do you mean someone might say "But it's midnight here in Australia, so technically it's ok?"

I mean something like this might be better...
    Threads about televised racing

Spoiler tags are used hide commentary about race results from boardsies who haven't watched a race live and are waiting to catch up later in the day. If you don't know what a spoiler tag is, find out. If you break the rules on spoilers, expect severe punishment. We wait all year to follow the big races so don't ruin it by being thoughtless.

* For one-day races and in non-stage-specific threads about stage races (e.g. "TdF 2011"), use spoiler tags until midnight.

* In threads about specific stages of stage races ("Paris-Nice 2010 Stage 3") don't use spoiler tags except in the first post of the thread. If you haven't seen the stage, don't open the thread.

* Don't post anything which even hints at a same-day race result in a non-stage specific thread. For instance: re-opening the Jens Voight thread with a link to Paris-Nice results, or creating a thread named "Vuelta stage win reported on RTE *Spoilers ahead*" which hints that an Irish rider has won.

* If you follow the above rules, there is no need to create "contains spoilers" type threads. This is ambiguous since one person's spoiler is another persons spoiler tag.

• Advertisement

Incorporated that Lumen, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Gavin wrote: »
    Captain Havoc was looking at this alright, perhaps using google calendar. There is also the calendar system on boards which could work with some modifications. I stuck up a request to see what can be done.

Sounds great, but if it doesn't work I for one would be more than happy with the wiki system but placed somewhere (dare I say a sticky) where people can add events easily with a link to the discussion thread which contains the home page etc. That way the forum will be utilised and add to the traffic levels.
    Like I said though the calender system sounds great too.

Cheers

Added a popular threads section.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Ant

Gavin wrote: »

A boards.ie cycling calendar would be great. Weekend spins, the odd time trial, informal race, etc. could all be included as well as the big cycling events.

The major disadvantage with the vBulletin calendar system is that there isn't an iCal export feature. A bit of Internet searching shows a lot of users requesting such a feature but it doesn't currently exist. I use Google calendar and have a lot of external calendars (via iCal) added so that I can easily see upcoming events.

Edit: I also meant to express my appreciation for keeping the charter and FAQ simple, clear and easily understandable.
    I also think the Broomwagon and Images of Beauty threads can probably be unstickied now that they're listed in the popular threads.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ant wrote: »
    I also think the Broomwagon and Images of Beauty threads can probably be unstickied now that they're listed in the popular threads.

That's part of our thinking. However we would welcome input from others on this, particularly in connection with the Broomwagon - we don't want posters starting threads on minor points that are usually covered there. Having said that, Captain Havoc normally has sufficient off-topic issues he wants to share with the rest of us to keep it on the front page .... ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

My own opinion, I think the broomwagon should stay because it will discourage people from starting threads that require one response, I actually do believe people won't look a couple of pages down for it or think of looking in the FAQ thread, especially during the TdF when traffic here increases and the life expectancy of a thread on the first page is three hours. I welcome the links to the other threads as I particularly hate the helmet debate, someone starts it and the same carp is churned out. I've devised a google spread sheet for a calendar which the mods are looking at. I don't seem to be able to make a google calendar editable by all so that's the reason for spread sheet. Lastly a big thumbs up to Gavin for firing ahead and putting it out there, I know most of us wanted it reformed to make it clearer, especially for new users coming on here.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Certainly the broomwagon should stay. Images of beauty could probably be let go, but I don't care either way.

Can we have the bitter-old-husk rule back? Mild rebuke must be tolerated in a civilised society.

Also, can anyone who raises the hoary ol' two-abreast-is-illegal-you-uppity-cyclists-get-out-of-my-way thing be treated to a hatchet to the face / instant permaban? That'd be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Images of beauty to go ??? no more pictures from Raams kitchen ?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

levitronix wrote: »
    Images of beauty to go ??? no more pictures from Raams kitchen ?
    Not "going" - we're simply suggesting un-stickying it, but linking the thread from the Charter/FAQ thread, so it's still easy to find, even if not on the front page.

However I take your point on Raam's kitchen - any images from there should definitely be banned;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Melodeon

[NECROMANCY]

Can I suggest a change (or seek clarification) regarding the 'live' race day threads?

Currently, the protocol in the forum charter (as best I can interpret it) is that 1-day races and individual stages of stage races can be posted about 'live' in a specific thread with some sort of spoiler warning in the thread title.
    This works fine for the 1-day races and the bigger stage races as there's usually enough interest to make the daily threads worthwhile, but I'm wondering if something a little different might be adapted for the smaller/less popular stage races?

For example, I've been throwing daily threads up for this year's Paris-Nice. That's all fine and they've been rumbling along nicely, but even with an Irish stage winner the other day, the whole lot only add up to a few pages all together.

I see another poster has just posted a thread on the Tirreno Adriatico with a spoiler warning in the thread title, but with the intention that the thread serve for the whole race.
    I like this idea and think it might be the right way to handle the smaller races.

By way of example, might something like this work as a thread title?:
    Tour of Turkey 2017 - LIVE race thread ***SPOILERS***

Just throwing this out for discussion, it may or may not have merit.

The problem with ^^ this "one thread with spoilers" approach is that you can't participate in the discussion unless you're fully up to date, whereas with separate stage threads you can.

Advertisement