Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 dogs and a baby

• 07-12-2010 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Some of you might remember i had a fewa posts in the past when i was preggers and when the baby was born re having 2 dogs and a baby. I was worried about jealousy, dangerous situations, time for walking etc. Both dogs are big (one medium and one big actually), rescued (one with history of abuse) and spoiled. Here s the report, might b useful for people with similar concerns
    life goes on, the baby is 16 months and we r all fine
    the dogs routine hasnt changed ( still running on the fields nearlyeveryday), ok it is hard to find time sometimes, but its great to get out of the house WITHOUT the baby. On the days we cant go to the fields, or nobody to mind the baby, we go altogether: me, the buggy with little human in it and a dog on each side. Took a while to get used to and a purchase of nose leads for better control but its fine now. They actually seem to enjoy walking together as a bunch!
    The baby adores the dogs, espescially a female one, they run around together and up to no good. It's all of course supervised, i would not leave the baby unsupervised for a second. The female dog has not a bad bone in her body and shown no signs of any aggression, apart from trying to lick any human to death. But she is big so i am watchful. The male dog is nervous when the baby comes over, although that has improved a lot. He knows when she is around and just keeps away. When they happen to cross paths (the baby is with either me or my husband) he cowers and runs away. So obviously we r watching him like hawks coz he is not comfortable. But he is getting there.
    Ok life is not always easy, but to all those who advised to get rid of dogs- IN YOUR FACE LOSERS! our family is grand, and we didnt get those dogs just to abandon them when its inconvenient! And dont even get me started on benefits of children growing around animals!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

woofie87 wrote: »
    Ok life is not always easy, but to all those who advised to get rid of dogs- IN YOUR FACE LOSERS! our family is grand, and we didnt get those dogs just to abandon them when its inconvenient! And dont even get me started on benefits of children growing around animals!!!!

+1 I have a 10 month old baby and 6 dogs, can echo everything you're saying, yeah some days it can be tough and you wish you had no dogs, but then other days I wish I could swap the baby for another puppy! But most days we all get on great, baby fed, dogs walked, me mostly sane :D

It all works out for anyone willing to put in the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

woofie87 wrote: »
    Some of you might remember i had a fewa posts in the past when i was preggers and when the baby was born re having 2 dogs and a baby. I was worried about jealousy, dangerous situations, time for walking etc. Both dogs are big (one medium and one big actually), rescued (one with history of abuse) and spoiled. Here s the report, might b useful for people with similar concerns
    life goes on, the baby is 16 months and we r all fine
    the dogs routine hasnt changed ( still running on the fields nearlyeveryday), ok it is hard to find time sometimes, but its great to get out of the house WITHOUT the baby. On the days we cant go to the fields, or nobody to mind the baby, we go altogether: me, the buggy with little human in it and a dog on each side. Took a while to get used to and a purchase of nose leads for better control but its fine now. They actually seem to enjoy walking together as a bunch!
    The baby adores the dogs, espescially a female one, they run around together and up to no good. It's all of course supervised, i would not leave the baby unsupervised for a second. The female dog has not a bad bone in her body and shown no signs of any aggression, apart from trying to lick any human to death. But she is big so i am watchful. The male dog is nervous when the baby comes over, although that has improved a lot. He knows when she is around and just keeps away. When they happen to cross paths (the baby is with either me or my husband) he cowers and runs away. So obviously we r watching him like hawks coz he is not comfortable. But he is getting there.

What a brillant post!!!! and a massive well done for putting in all the effort and giving your family time to adjust... te dogs to the new baby and the baby to the dogs...:D:D:D

I am sick to death or reading posts.. have a new baby dog has to go etc... or ive no more time or the dog "may" knock the baby over etc :confused:

so i am soo happy reading your post!!

Im sure your baby will thank you in years to come for having such good furry friends during his / her childhood! :P:P

Brillant news in a depressing world.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

cocker5 wrote: »
    What a brillant post!!!! and a massive well done for putting in all the effort and giving your family time to adjust... te dogs to the new baby and the baby to the dogs...:D:D:D

I am sick to death or reading posts.. have a new baby dog has to go etc... or ive no more time or the dog "may" knock the baby over etc :confused:

so i am soo happy reading your post!!

Im sure your baby will thank you in years to come for having such good furry friends during his / her childhood! :P:P

Brillant news in a depressing world.... ;)

+ 1 million, so wonderful to read the positives of having baby with dogs, delighted it's worked out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Great stuff. As a mum to a 21 month old, a 4 month old and 3 dogs I agree with everything you say. I wouldn't have my set up any other way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP you've put a huge smile on my face! I do remember your previous posts.

+1 on the benefits of children and (well looked after) pets.

Well one op and thanks for the update.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

Great post OP, good to hear things are working out despite the naysayers.

Puts my mind at ease a bit too cos we've 3 dogs (2 big & 1 small) and twins on the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

adser53 wrote: »
    Great post OP, good to hear things are working out despite the naysayers.

Puts my mind at ease a bit too cos we've 3 dogs (2 big & 1 small) and twins on the way!

Wow - congrats, you'll be kept busy! Our first baby arrived 12 weeks ago and she is obsessed with the two dogs. She just stares and smiles at them for ages. Suzie is already displaying traits of the 'nanny dog' as she likes to check on her a couple of times a day and any time we come home she greets the baby first before us!

Well done OP and others. It's great to to hear people's good stories about their dogs and their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

DBCyc wrote: »
    Wow - congrats, you'll be kept busy! Our first baby arrived 12 weeks ago and she is obsessed with the two dogs. She just stares and smiles at them for ages. Suzie is already displaying traits of the 'nanny dog' as she likes to check on her a couple of times a day and any time we come home she greets the baby first before us!

Well done OP and others. It's great to to hear people's good stories about their dogs and their children.

You're damn right I'll be kept busy! We're catching up on all the sleep we're gonna need now :D

Great to hear Suzie is taking to the baby well too, they'll be inseperable soon :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

Great to hear Suzie is taking to the baby well too, they'll be inseperable soon :D[/QUOTE]

Once they team up there's no stopping them! My little one and that scamp Sasha r like a gang together! She throws her food from her baby chair and laughs when she is trying to lick her hands and face. Both stealing things from kitchen counter and running (together, I swear i have it on a video:D). Little one screams when she sees birds at the feeder in the garden so sasha can go and hunt (unsucessfully!). Plus there go long one-sided conversation with baby talking in her own language ( with loads of recognizable words like ''sasha'' and ''good girl' and ''doggie''). And sash sleeps at the nursery's door! They r the funniest!
    Thanks everybody for their replies, it was great to read them !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

Great story, good to hear the positivity.
    I've 3 cats and 3 dogs and due my first baby in April. I have absolutely no plans on getting rid of any of them. They have been my "babies" for a long time and plan to keep it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Deeanimallover

I applaude you :D:D:D:D:D:D

Its so refreshing to hear instead of the "dog has to be rehomed due to baby on the way" :rolleyes:

At the moment we have 2 dogs and 3 cats (all rescues) and they all have their own individual personalities we would die without them. This might sound mad but one of the reasons I cant wait to have a baby is I can stick 2 fingers up at people who keep telling me "oh you'll have to get rid of them all when the babies come along" :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Fair play, woofie, hope all the family is doing well.

I didn't see your original threads, but by the sounds of it you put alot of thought and consideration into what to do.
    Sadly for a lot of people it's easier to get rid of the dog rather than take the time to train/acclimatise the dog to having a baby in the house.

It's great to hear they're becoming a little team. Sounds so adorable.
    Your dog will become a carer for your daughter too.

Advertisement