Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

diploma in actuarial science ucd

Options
  • 07-12-2010 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone here has done the diploma course in actuarial science and what you thought of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JediPoncho

Hi

Just wanted to bump this thread as I'm interested in this course myself and the co-ordinator seems pretty useless at providing fairly basic information.

Has anyone gotten in touch with your Rahor?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

OT but I was talking to an actuary student a couple of months ago and he was telling me he's currently earning €200,000 per annum, while still sitting his actuary exams.

He's definitely the highest-paid student I've ever known. So this actuarial science thing sounds like it might put you on the road to a well-paid job. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm doing the degree course so I don't know too much about the diploma, but I can try and give you some info :-)

There are diploma students in all our classes that count for exemptions, so I'd imagine they're going for the same exemptions as us - thats in introductory micro and macroeconomics, linear models 1 (& maybe 2 - I can't remember), probability theory, statistical inferences, principles of finance, introductory accounting, and fundamentals of actuarial maths 1 & 2.

They're also doing some third year modules (i'm only 2nd year) including time series, unfortunately that's the only one I know of at the minute that I'm not doing/haven't done.

If you have a good head for maths and aren't afraid of hard work then it'll be no bother. Its tough, theres a lot of it, but as said above it'll be definitely worth it :)

The degree programme offers up to 8/9 of the 15 exemptions, one of which is awarded if your average grade over the others is above a certain point (approx. 65%). I don't know how the diploma course differs from it, but if you check the relevant pages on the UCD website I'm sure it'll tell you (I'm on mobile so I can't look it up).

I have to say I absolutely love it, best decision I ever made :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rahor

Thanks for the replies, i have a few further questions if that's ok
    Do you know if many people on the course get the full exemptions?
    Given the current job situation at the moment, have many had problems getting a trainee position upon completion?
    It's pretty pricey so it would be good to know these things!
    Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

rahor wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, i have a few further questions if that's ok
    Do you know if many people on the course get the full exemptions?
    Given the current job situation at the moment, have many had problems getting a trainee position upon completion?
    It's pretty pricey so it would be good to know these things!
    Thanks

If you're ever around UCD, the Actuarial and Statistics department is located on the 5th floor of the James Joyce Library building, and there's a list of all the students in the class that graduated last summer, and who got each exemptions (it doesn't actually say their names). Most don't get all the exemptions, only a very small amount get all 9, but most people get a considerable amount of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement