Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

early Cata opinions

Options
  • 07-12-2010 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

have to say, not very impressed so far.

leveling in mt hyjal, 50% to 81, i know its early, but it just feels like the same ol' same ol'.

most people will be 85 within a week. what then.

hink mt hyjal looks fairly ugly. the quests are fairly **** so far.

maybe ill just go back and level a goblin, see if thats fun.

how you all finding it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Haven't had a chance to level much at all on any character yet other than get 2 notches to 81 on my Druid just from mining/herbing - which is kind of weird levelling up through either, I presume it stops once I've maxed out both professions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

I completely agree with you OP. I'm a few bars off 81 from questing in Vash'jir and a run of one of the new instances. I'm really not at all impressed. Same old, same old except only five levels and two new zones of content. I was excited for it for a long time but completely deflated now.

They'd also want to have the next patch really jam-packed with stuff and ready to go before the end of next month because all the new content will have been completed by regular players, someone on my server already got to 85. I wouldn't be into playing hardcore like that person but I expected that only five levels would mean a much longer grind but obviously not.

Big thumbs down for Cata.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Starting levelling a Worgen Druid, and having a great time with it. Excellent started area, unfortunately the final quest (Battle for Gilneas) is bugged and no one on my server can get past it. Really ennoying, but hopefully Blizz will have it fixed soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kiith wrote: »
    Starting levelling a Worgen Druid, and having a great time with it. Excellent started area, unfortunately the final quest (Battle for Gilneas) is bugged and no one on my server can get past it. Really ennoying, but hopefully Blizz will have it fixed soon.

Are you a full Worgen or just before it? As there was a bug in beta stopping the transformation part of the questline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

40% past 83 now. Since release last night, I was in a prearranged group with guildies to blast through the quests and do some instances. BRC and TOT are fun, but Stonecore is a snoozefest.

The quests by and large are pretty standard, but there are some entertaining ones (bear cubs up a tree, 3D Joust). However, the most impressive thing I have seen so far is the Maelstrom which almost made me seasick just by looking at it.

Also, it doesn't take long if you want to rush it. I was logged in 30 minutes (1h 20m after servers went 'live') and the realm first 525 skinner was announced. Realm first 85 was before lunch today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

copeyhagen wrote: »
    have to say, not very impressed so far.

leveling in mt hyjal, 50% to 81, i know its early, but it just feels like the same ol' same ol'.

Its WOW? what did you really expect different? you quest, kill mobs, loot items and get xp? thats the way the game has been for 5 years , there plenty of new types of quests with alot more phasing , the bear throwing, jousting , sea horse racing thing to name a few.

most people will be 85 within a week. what then.

Grind out rep and do heroics for the purples , same as WOTLK.

hink mt hyjal looks fairly ugly. the quests are fairly **** so far.

same as my point above, but alot of the quests where new so didnt bother me, zone looks cool i think with all the phasing.

maybe ill just go back and level a goblin, see if thats fun.

sounds like your fed up with the game pal, all the content that u describe above will just be waiting for you , plus outland and northrend all over again. :D

how you all finding it

i like it so far, hadnt really played WOTLK for the last 4-5 months so quite enjoying it :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Levelling is just going through the motions tbh, its always going to be same old same old.
    We all know the meat of the game is endgame stuff.
    Personally id prefer if they just kept to a lvl cap and put everything they have into dungeons,raids,pvp content etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Also, it doesn't take long if you want to rush it. I was logged in 30 minutes (1h 20m after servers went 'live') and the realm first 525 skinner was announced. Realm first 85 was before lunch today!
    that happened on my server at about that timeframe as well , probably from the giant mound of unskinned lootted crabs in vash.
    Guildie managed to hit 85 yesterday at lunchtime (server first for hunter), 25 daily handins at 12.20am plus no sleep did it for him.

Venom wrote: »
    Are you a full Worgen or just before it? As there was a bug in beta stopping the transformation part of the questline.

It's the Battle for Gilneas quest that is bugged. It's just stuck on a loop for everyone on my server. Blizz know about it, but it was stuck like that for over 12 hours yesterday. Something wrong with the phasing i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Kiith wrote: »
    It's the Battle for Gilneas quest that is bugged. It's just stuck on a loop for everyone on my server. Blizz know about it, but it was stuck like that for over 12 hours yesterday. Something wrong with the phasing i think.

In beta lots of the phasing quest in the Worgen starter area were bugged to hell which is pretty lame tbh.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    In beta lots of the phasing quest in the Worgen starter area were bugged to hell which is pretty lame tbh.

It's bloody annoying, as there's nothing you can even do while waiting. You can't port out or enter battlegrounds as you get a message saying 'The Battle for Gilneas is not complete'. You cant even herb/farm as there are no npc's/enemies that aren't related to the quest. So basically, you're stuck standing around doing nothing till they fix it.

It's a shame, as the zone had been brilliant up until that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Just hit 81 and been playing very casually and im suprised im enjoying the whole underwater leveling experience. Havent really got bored yet but no doubt at 85 I will be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

gonna give my hunter a go today, i think ill try each toon for a level or so and see whats most enjoyable to me.

will probably roll a goblin today aswell at some stage.

with regards the realm fist 85, last night i was on sunstrider and there were literally hundreds of 85s in /who

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Logged in last night and someone had gotten the realm first Archaeology achievement........thats 525 levels in just under 24 hours.

Wow......thats just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Should hit 85 today

As said above leveling is to fill your belly, this game is make or break come its endgame PvE

Alts look like it wont be too much stress to level tbh, especially with the guild perks of 10% and the two new herilooms giving combined 10%

I'm thoroughly enjoying this levelling experience, doesnt feel grindy at all, interesting quests, granted a bit linera and hold your handy, buts ins not stressing me at all

Saying that its 9millionxp till 85, but we will see

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Started on my 80 druid yesterday, made it to 82 in under 3 hours, loved mount hyjal and deepholm is pretty ok so far, love the fact that the quests arent all "kill 10 of this".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Made 81 last night after a couple hours just mining/herbing and killing the odd thing that got in the way. Bit weird levelling up just from gathering.

Yeah i thought that was odd, if you could level up from skinning id be 85 by now...

"Jack Bauden" questline in Stormwind

****ing epic haha

205096947.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1291832331&Signature=sDOVCAt7cHOd%2B3zZ1sfYe7Kxrbg%3D
    205096633.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1291832332&Signature=Ty58YB2v4%2Fgf9oDyL%2B0bA%2FTSi1Q%3D
    205096409.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1291832333&Signature=ZTxDEbevLj5ZaOO1HYMU5QBU9Qk%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Uldum is the best quest area so far. A lot of the quests are tongue in cheek. Gnomebliteration - best quest ever! The harrison jones quests are also entertaining.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to uldum alright :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

just hit 83, to uldum!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

I loved vash'jr once i got ahead of the clump. Deepholm was alright didn't mind it. Uldum was cool, zhe gnome with zhe gun vas funny. Twilight highlands was pretty cool too, I especially liked the veristratz (sp>) quest with deathwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

played for about 3 hours earlier while all the kids were in school, flew to 81 in about 3 hours, including speccing talents & sh1t.

was way more fun than the warr and was zero downtime.

so might level him up and use him as my main.

specced the dk as frost and gave it a go and 3 mobs had me down to about 60%..didnt like that at all so i parked his ass in org.

gonna log the rogue now, just to send him to org, as it appears that they only start getting rested once they have been logged since cata

hunters in the underwater zone atm.

imo evenings are a nigtmare trying to do gathering quests, im sure it will die down after a week or 2

Got 85 there earlier today, just levelling JC and working my way through normal dungeons gathering enough gear to tackle heroics

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

Got my Shaman to 85 tonight, been healing instances all the way up - have found it either extremely frustrating or just plain boring with some of the big trash pulls.

It seems my offensive spells have gotten more powerful, while my heals have stayed the same, even though I have 2k extra spellpower. Its challenging alright, but its not so much fun when it feels like your heals are doing absolutely nothing.

The bosses seem to be generally easy, the trash hurts the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I believe they put allot more of the content into rebuilding older quest lines and i have to say i am loving it. I have recently rolled a mage and its so much fun, the Rambo styled questline in redridge is brilliant and so much fun to do :).

I think these changes will bring allot of new blood to the game as it makes the leveling grind not as boring as it used to be, i was actually looking forward to it :).

I suppose if you only have level 80's its probably much of the same so i would suggest possibly investing in a new toon for the craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Calhoun wrote: »
    I think these changes will bring allot of new blood to the game as it makes the leveling grind not as boring as it used to be, i was actually looking forward to it :).

I suppose if you only have level 80's its probably much of the same so i would suggest possibly investing in a new toon for the craic.

You could be right. My Level 80 has the same problems as before, like armour and weapons, but maybe time to try a new roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,472 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

My Guild, ONITALL, up until about 6 hours ago was holding onto the #1 Global Position for Guild Achievement Points. Workin' on getting that back and killin every critter we lay our eyes on.

http://www.guildox.com/go/g.asp?a=5&r=&w=

At least I got us shot back up past the russians again tonight. They halved the time allowed for the Malygos speedkill which put a small obstacle in my way. Whether or not we'll get it back, who knows. It's the easy ones that are making up these points, you'll see a lot more disparity in the coming weeks, but the guild achievements are going to be one of our main focuses.

The rate of leveling is really same old same old. Not surprised or really upset there. 5 levels instead of 10 sure. The intros to each new zone are interesting and so are some of the dailies - whackamole in Uldum is a laugh. And I'm happy to have challenging 5-mans again even if it's for a short time and even if the pugs are assmunching tank gear ninjas. No DBM at the moment to tell me when I have to do **** so people just snap up and pay attention for a change.

Can't say I'm disappointed with it. Hyjal is probably not for everyone. I didn't find Deepholm to be all that thrilling and got out as soon as I could to hit Uldum. But honestly thats always been the case, different people like different zones.

The only regret I have is not going straight to farming minerals at the launch. Stacks of Pyrite were moving for 10k each in the first few hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Overheal wrote: »
    I'm happy to have challenging 5-mans again even if it's for a short time and even if the pugs are assmunching tank gear ninjas.

What is a pug ? Sorry if it's a simple question.
    Overheal wrote: »
    The only regret I have is not going straight to farming minerals at the launch. Stacks of Pyrite were moving for 10k each in the first few hours.

When you mine minerals, do you just sell them, or change them into tablets at the forge and them sell them on the Auction House ?

Advertisement