Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

early Cata opinions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Doomhammer was on the same battlegroup as Sunstrider and my own server Draenor. So queue times are still crap for Horde and almost instant for Alliance.

Admittedly I'm already bored with Cata too. Seems to be very little reward for running heroics, loot is crap and uninspiring, everything looks the same and it all looks rubbish. Pointless running normals really when stuff from quests and rep is better. I'm also bored making gold, which is something I thought I'd never say.

I love pvp but I hate pvp'ing as Alliance as they have little if any incentive to win, most don't even try, they just stand there the whole BG and do nothing.

Tol Barad is also a load of complete ****.

If anyone does know of a server or battlegroup where Horde get short queue times for pvp, do please tell, I'll roll Horde there for sure myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Yurple

my opinions of cataclysm are: GREAT! They improved on everything that needed improving!

now they just need to create ingame maps for outland dungeons! that would be good!

but all the azaroth quests are great now! more more fun! they are like mini chains and actually showing u and leading u to the next quest hubs and zones! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Really enjoying the expansion, its nice to have so much to do on my main character.

I'm pretty much geared from heroics now working with some epic gear aswell from reputations.

My faction rep is where I want it, just working on Ramkhahen now for camel.

Both my professions are up at 525 but money is slowing down, there is a flood of jewelcrafters and blue gems are flooding now. So much supply and demand isnt high enough, I'm having to diversify my sales and times to keep making my income.

Alchemy is pretty much sitting there not doing much, but will come in handy once epic gems come about.

Archeology is a slow and painful grind. But I might keep going for the mount and some other bits and bobs, but it looks to take a long time.

I'd planned to level my mage at some point this week but I think I'll keep going with archeology until its maxed, thenstart on the alts, sure whats the rush.

But at the moment making plenty of gold and riading and heroics going well :)
    Also want to get the heroic achiev mount, must find myself a group ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Archeology! I completly forgot about it, what are the benefits from it exactly? besides the mounts ive seen you can get..

Im enjoying it i suppose, then again im in the leveling phase which always seems fun/new as it is, sure do hope they improve the ques. They should really start offering free char transfer/faction changes to atleast offer people an alternative other than fleecing them for a service they should be doing for free to make the game as it should be, playable :(

Took advantage of the free character transfer today for Horde and transferred 6 of my Horde 80's and my 85 Druid to Azuremyst server. At least now I can get to play TB every single time I want too as the Alliance pop on that server is very high, rather than Draenor which had a mad high Horde pop, rarely ever got into TB even late at night/early morning.
    Random BG queue times also dropped to between around 3 and 10 minutes on Horde, which was better than 20+ minutes wait on Draenor as Horde - which is odd as I thought all BG's were merged, apparently not yet anyway.

Completed all Cata zone quests on my Druid, revered in all reps bar the Hellscream one, working on exhalted on Ramk for the Camel also :)

Healing heroic pugs is an absolute bastard at times on the druid :mad:
    It's not the tank healing per se that I have a problem with, that's fine (apart from Warrior tanks who seem really shít) but the DPS - they expect me to drop healing and pump my mana into healing them after they've not bothered to interrupt, or pick up adds proper, or just run straight into fire or whatever.

Also, not a single dps and most tanks, never interrupt nor any dps who can, never dispel - costs me over 3k mana to dispel and I need to drop off healing to do so too, plus dispel costs global cooldowns. Frustrating and boring healing on the Druid now, very mana intensive and even with around 6k SP the heals are pretty underpowered. Instant queues though as a healer, if the group is crap I just leave or afk and get booted so I can join another straight away. Gotten to the stage now I automatically ask to be booted if there's a Warrior tank or 3 people from the same server in the group as I can't be arsed putting up with the fail or whining from dps crying for heals all the time.

TB got buffed btw, attacking side now gets 1,800 honor points for a win rather than the usual 180. Makes the long queue times for BG's a little less annoying if at least you can get into TB and win as the attacking side every now and again - whenever Horde decide to let Alliance win that is, purely so we can win the next one for more honor ;)

Gear so far from what I've seen and got, is all pretty uninspiring and crap looking - I'm sure (I'd hope anyway) it's better in raids but I dunno.

Tauren Paladin's Kodo is lovely looking btw, if you've not seen it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

hey

I've tried many times to get into WOW but never made it past lvl 35 with an undead warlock.

But I got to admit Cata's shake up really brought me in and I've been able to scrounge up to lvl 56 worgan hunter and not become bored.

But I have a question.

Last time I was in wow (pre wotlk) eastern plaguelands was this open world pvp zone with towers to capture so I was looking forward to getting there and putting my hunter to work outside of BG. But the PVP element is completely gone from what I've seen.

has it been moved to a different zone? If so which one so I can direct my focus in that direction. I know battlegrounds is the main focus of PVP but I enjoy a small bit of open world pvp to break up the questing. I understand there's a big one in wotlk which I am quite far from, but are there others for lower level players I can aim for?

Aside from that I'm just having a headache looking for glyphs.

:D

edit:

If I have one complaint is while the dungeon finder makes it really easy to jump in and do a dungeon, it does take away any sense of questing towards a dungeon as I get dropped into a dungeon midflow most times and end up only grabbing half the quests and cant drop them off at the end (in stratlehome my quest giver disapeared and when I went out of the dungeon and back in I was in a different one???) Or I get teleported halfway across the world for a dungeon and have no basis for the dungeon.

Honestly I am thankful for the ease to find a dungeon and get the loot but its at the cost of narrative structure. Might have perferred if you had to find a dungeon (like I read they did with the new ones) before you can get randomly dropped into it when opting for random party just so you have a framework for each dungeon (I have avoided kalimdor completely with my questing as I work to explore the entire eastern kingdoms before setting sail west so being dropped into kalimdor throws me off.)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'd like to reiterate I love the way the expo has shaken up the game economy, it was getting very stagnant the last year. I know it wont stay like this forever but im making 1-2k gold a day at this point, im lovin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

I found the most annoying thing to be the tons of cutscenes while levelling from 80-85.

The fact that gearing up is going to take a lot more time is a nice touch. It was just far too easy in BC and even more so in WotLK. Going back to requiring crowd control in heroic dungeons is awesome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Last time I was in wow (pre wotlk) eastern plaguelands was this open world pvp zone with towers to capture so I was looking forward to getting there and putting my hunter to work outside of BG. But the PVP element is completely gone from what I've seen.

has it been moved to a different zone? If so which one so I can direct my focus in that direction. I know battlegrounds is the main focus of PVP but I enjoy a small bit of open world pvp to break up the questing. I understand there's a big one in wotlk which I am quite far from, but are there others for lower level players I can aim for?
    The towers are still there, but they aren't capturable anymore as far as i know. EPL is now a lower level area, but most area's have been redone to suit the more wartime narrative. That's more PvE though, and i don't think there are any area's before Wintergrasp that focus on PvP.
    Improbable wrote: »
    I found the most annoying thing to be the tons of cutscenes while levelling from 80-85.

This was one of my favourite things. I actually like having stories in my games, and have never understood why people give out about them.

So, winning as an attacker in Tol Barad now awards 1800 honour points...maybe it won't be so tough to grind PvP gear after all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Well got my druid to 85 on bladefist, had every intention of tanking with him but i just dont like it anymore. The change's they made to feral tanking its just to frustrating. I dont like going as dps tho zzz and id rather heal on my shammy so i thought i would just pvp this time around as i never really went that way end game before. But the bg queue's are insanely long over 30 min most of the time.

Also TB seems to need some fix's we werent able to take it for like 2 weeks on our server. Its to easy to defend and to hard for the attacker it seems.

Lvling my warlock now lvl eh 78 atm so going to get him to 85 for when im bored on my druid.

i loved lvling up the forsaken quest line's are amazing. I felt the goblin starter zone dragged out for to long.

Everything seems alrite tho so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

As someone who has tried and failed to get into wow many times (lets see I have a lvl 15 hunter dwarf from classic wow in 2005, I have a lvl 35 warlock undead from burning crusade and a lvl 28 rogue gnome from wotlk) I have to give cata credit.

Its the first time I have actually openly bought more then 1 month's worth of gametime for the game and even though I bought it years ago I finally reached outland and started using the BC content.

:D

I only stuck to the eastern kingdoms really in my questing but the shift from what I remember with my warlock and gnome to what it is now is amazing, mostly the streamlining of quests that cut out so much tedious back and forth (do a quest go back and then get sent back to where you just were all over again.)

I loved the worgen starting area, but my only complaint is they seem to become non existent as a faction after the initial starting area, I mean its very hard to rack up rep points with them when there are extremely few gillain quest givers and despite me making the journey through silverpine back to gilneas there was nothing in there for me to do :( it was empty. Was hoping for a few quest trees at least.

Aside from that I quested up and down the eastern isles and the game did a fine job of shifting you from area to area. Only once did I go off the beaten track pushed by the quest givers for my own personal interest which shifted my exploration northwards after I reached stranglehorm (wanted to go north to dun moran to make the ashtail fox my pet) So it works really well in keeping you progressing.

The simplicity of these improvements becomes blatantly apparent when you head into outland where the more classic spread of quest givers kills alot of momentum and has me circling the alliance hub in a circle trying to form a route to be most efficiant of finishign them all up (before the next quest in each tree sends me out again in a different order)

I stuck

Outland definitely needs some love by Blizzard. It's not too bad as you can generally power your way through it, but some of the quests are awful. Best thing to do is just do dungeons or BG's.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Anyone else notice that the only Zone that is truely amazing to look at is the under water zone?

The other 4 zones are just a bit dull.

Take WOTLK Zones;
    There all unique and different in there own way, i mean IceCrown is just awesome. But thats just a minor thing i noticed that kinda bugged me.

Yeah its more of the same with a few twists but thats all good.

Im taking progression after 85 very very slowly, not rushing to gear up / raid or do heroics just doing an odd random normal dungeon whenever.

The way i figure it i dont want to see everything just yet, i want to wipe and learn instances like it used to be.

ive left my old guild i was for 4 years in due to fact that they have almost turned into one of those hardcore raid guilds. Plus the fact that i dont want to raid yet, and i want to be in a small guild where its fun, and not ploughing through content so fast you cant remember any of it.

So just leveling alts and doing quests and professions and making tonnes of gold. Actually making gold is the one thing that gets me to log in atm.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Anyone else notice that the only Zone that is truely amazing to look at is the under water zone?

Worst zone ever in the game imo, i only go there to farm herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

Dcully wrote: »
    Worst zone ever in the game imo, i only go there to farm herbs.

At least its different. The worgen and Goblin zones are quite well made too but ive no intention of ever leveling from level 1 again.

You know what I noticed as well though? Nobody likes Vashj'ir. Meaning: Nobody farms mats in Vashj'ir. wink.

I actually enjoyed it despite somehow skipping a section of the quest chain (involving your intro to the submarine and the last cave) but it was a refreshing change to regular leveling. Id say the psychology of being underwater gets to people as well

Went into my first raid with the guild last night.

After being pretty much one of the core dpsers for ICC and ToC I was pretty excited to get into some cata raiding. Had been benched so that enw recruits could get a run and see their worth ( i hope :P )

Went into BWD and really enjoyed it, four bosses killed, only one wipe on the blind dragon. Really enjoyed the fights and thought the mechanics were enjoyable and there was that coool feeling for killing a boss.

The guild itself are doing seriously well through progress, we kinda jump between bosses between raids and rotate people in and out to give everyone a feel for the raiding enviroment.

I think from Tuesday onwards we are doing progression with our strongest ten so I probably wont be included since the others have had a two week jump start on me gear drop wise but I'm sure soon enough I'll find myself back in as a regular ;)

Well enjoyed it though.

Also levelling my DK alt, was planning on levelling a mage but decided to go with my DK for something different and Frost is really ejoyable and doing alot of damage , look forward to gearinh im up :)

Also still loving the play on the auction house, broke 20k yesterday on my Druid from starting with 2k. And its jsut getting easier and easier now that I have everything automated.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

TheDoc wrote: »
    And its jsut getting easier and easier now that I have everything automated.

Mind me asking what you mean by automating everything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Shougeki wrote: »

+1

• Advertisement

Shougeki wrote: »

I have a number of addons for Ah play.

They require some tweaking to setup but basically.

I log on and go to AH, press a buton, wait bout 5 minutes to scan
    Press another button, buys all the mats I want once they are at a certain price or below.

Go to mailbox, press a button and get everything

Then once i have my mats, press a button to craft everything i need automatically

Then go to AH and press a button to post everything at the best prices

I press one button for everything basically

You'd make a great wife ^^

Haha, sorry couldn't resist :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

TheDoc wrote: »
    I have a number of addons for Ah play.

They require some tweaking to setup but basically.

I log on and go to AH, press a buton, wait bout 5 minutes to scan
    Press another button, buys all the mats I want once they are at a certain price or below.

Go to mailbox, press a button and get everything

Then once i have my mats, press a button to craft everything i need automatically

Then go to AH and press a button to post everything at the best prices

I press one button for everything basically
    What are the addons for getting everything from the mailbox? That is one thing that pisses me off...

What are the addons for getting everything from the mailbox? That is one thing that pisses me off...

Postal is one I use, very good it is too...

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info11187-Postal.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Overheal wrote: »
    You know what I noticed as well though? Nobody likes Vashj'ir. Meaning: Nobody farms mats in Vashj'ir. wink.

I actually enjoyed it despite somehow skipping a section of the quest chain (involving your intro to the submarine and the last cave) but it was a refreshing change to regular leveling. Id say the psychology of being underwater gets to people as well

the background music there is class too, reminds me of an old james bond movie for some reason.. the one with the submarine-lotus

our new guild site has some running blogs

I intend to kinda take one up myself with some gold making tips and just general theory, promised it last time but got swamped.

I hope to get it up and running withing this week at somepoint, working from basics to more advanced strategy and money making

The conepts i took from wotlk to cata havnt changed, just the profits

New patch looks interesting.

Boomkins getting a massive buff from mastery.

There is a rather large debate wether to go crit or mastery. At the moment the difference is literally tiny with crit winning out, I was focusing on mastery cause I prefer the direct damage increase , and with the new patch the dmg output is going up 33%.

Thank **** I was stacking and reforging mastery :D

It also makes darkmoon caird volcano very very tempting, but goes for about 30k on my server :(

DM Cards are ridic', but worth noting that some of those cards were still some of the BiS by the end of the last expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

-First impressions on Cata seem good to me. I dislike Vash also, herbs and rare hunting lead me there from time to time.

-The raids to me seem nice and hard as do the dungeons and I like the difficulty.

-The guild achievements are great and the increase in rep for having a guild run dungeon group really provide a level of teamwork outside of raiding which is a very nice addition. A bit downed the achi's don't account for guild experience anymore but meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I've taken a real step back from WoW since Cata...

Levelled my lock to 85 and it was very much meh...I really enjoyed Uldum though.

Got Spriest to 81 but got bored...workin on tankadin atm...very fun its got to be said...

Hope it continues once I get to cata dungeons...

Advertisement