Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

early Cata opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

havent played in weeks, not sure if ill resub after current card expires in feb.

uldum is pretty cool but other than that the game feels sh1te and has turned into a borefest for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

I'm levelling alts like mad I don't want to start any heroics or rep grinds. Don't want to see everything just yet. I'm trying to get a tank toon as it's something I havnt done in a long time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm levelling a Priest (Holy - lvl33) and occasionally doing a dungeon run with my tank (Pally - lvl83), but i just can't be that bothered myself. I think i just played too much in the last month, and am burned out. Might give it a few weeks when my current sub runs out.

I'll be back though...i always am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm very bored atm. Cba signing for raids.

A lot of the active raiders from my guild have started to quit. I don't know what it is about cata but a lot of people are just meh about it in the guild atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I'm very bored atm. Cba signing for raids.

A lot of the active raiders from my guild have started to quit. I don't know what it is about cata but a lot of people are just meh about it in the guild atm.

Been a breath of fresh air in hours.

Really challenging content of raiding and we are moving onto hardmodes next week or the week after, and its going to be tough, a real proper challenge.

There is also a great urge to level alts and get them raiding aswell.

Definitly been a great revival in our guild since the wither that was the tail end of wotlk anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

copeyhagen wrote: »
    havent played in weeks, not sure if ill resub after current card expires in feb.

uldum is pretty cool but other than that the game feels sh1te and has turned into a borefest for me.
    this.
    First time in aages I've been thinking of quitting
    2x85 characters so far , have two 80's to level up (I've actually 3 , but cant be bothered with my paladin), finding most of the areas meh , bar Uldum and Deepholm.
    Twilight highlands is probably the most boring area in game , its like a mid 40's classic levelling area.vash looks pretty , but is a pain in the arse to navigate.Mt hyjal is pretty samey.
    I hate the fact that unless you want to take forever to level you have to quest in just one area (you've a bit of choice with vash and hyjal , but the last 3 levels are locked to an area , 82->DH 83->Uld 84->TW.)P
    plus thanks to guild levelling bonusues , you'll outlevel an area when you get to about 2/3rd the way through the quest chain.So you can stay to finish it , and get feck all xp(even with the guild bonus) , or else dump it and move on.

Finding the instances to be a bit bland as well, pugging them isnt too bad now , but forget about Pug HC's (expect many "CC? whats that lol??" dpsing gobsh!tes followed by a lot of whining ,and a half finished instance when your party disband s 3 wipes in), at least they got rid of the "find the dungeon entrance to add it to LFD" rule , which most people were abusing so they could avoid dungeons.
    Endgame isnt grabbing me either.

Making lots of money questing is great , until you realise the Wiemar republic levels of inflation on the AH means your few k of gold is worth a lot less.I'll probably level up the last two chars just for completism , and then suspend the account until the next expansion...

Cancelled my sub, and it runs out this week. I've not even logged on in weeks, as i've completely lost interest in it. Nothing in the game interests me at the moment. No doubt i'll come back at some stage, but for now i just don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I think the serious lack of content is making a lot of people leave. The 5 areas are no where as much (or fun) as Northrend (or at least appear that way to me).

Also i think the fact that HC's can be hard for players that dont know how to use CC, and that Raids are not *really* PUG-able is also driving casual-average players away.

Im not sure what im gonna do myself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Shougeki wrote: »
    I think the serious lack of content is making a lot of people leave. The 5 areas are no where as much (or fun) as Northrend (or at least appear that way to me).

Also i think the fact that HC's can be hard for players that dont know how to use CC, and that Raids are not *really* PUG-able is also driving casual-average players away.

Im not sure what im gonna do myself....

Tbh the instances aren't that hard. You don't need lots of cc. Only time I wanted more cc was the pups on beauty but that got nerfed. Raids are good and I have been on most of guild firsts. Unfortunately I can't always be on in time for raids so have missed the last few bosses.

It just feels more of the same which isn't normally a bad thing but after a few years of wow is a bit bland.

My guild use to run 2 x 10 man groups, 1 x 25 man and 1 x 10 man alt run in ICC. In cata we are running 1 x 10 man and there isn't much competition for raid spots. One of our feral tanks who has signed for nearly every raid he could since TBC has suspended his account.

Only thing stopping me from suspending is the social aspect but if more friends leave like the feral tank, I'm quitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Tbh the instances aren't that hard. You don't need lots of cc. Only time I wanted more cc was the pups on beauty but that got nerfed. Raids are good and I have been on most of guild firsts. Unfortunately I can't always be on in time for raids so have missed the last few bosses.

Im not finding them hard either. Im just saying there are a lot of either badly geared toons, or really below par players in the LFD tool.

Ive been thinking of suspending my account too, but seems WOW keeps me out of the pub on weeknights.....

• Advertisement

I don't think the instances are hard, it's just people got so used to pulling the entire insances in WotLK, that having to put in an effort is more then some people are willing (capable) of doing.

I'm not leaving becuase of the content though, as i've said many a time that i don't enjoy end game raiding. I'm just tired of the same of MMO forumula, and that doesnt just apply to Warcraft. Rift, Warhammer etc...they are all to similar, and i just don't enjoy them anymore.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ive cancelled my subs today,havent logged in in 2 weeks ,wasnt impressed with Cata at all.
    Did enjoy the small bit of raiding i did however but overall cata to me was an uber fail.
    My guild which was a two team 10 man raiding guild have lost 14 of these raiders over the last 3 weeks and a further 10 or so non raiding members.
    Ive never seen such level of leaving before.

I preordered rift, the last two betas ive enjoyed immensely.
    Who knows maybe ill tire of that soon too but what i played was fresh and new enough for me to want to play more.
    I never enjoyed pvp much in MMOs but pvp in rift for some reason is a lot of fun..
    The high level rifts,rift raids, invasions,raids.warfronts and world pvp will hopefully keep me busy for a while.

Im been hearing a lot of talk from my folks in my guild saying that raid guilds they used to be in hardly have any active members, People are leaving all over the place.

I havnt set foot in one heroic yet i dont think my Dps is quite right and i dont really have the time or patience just yet to tackle one.

So its just Tol Barad dailys till i figure out what to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I enjoyed levelling up my Mage with the hope of doing some guild raids

Sadly the guild couldn't get enough for two 10 man raiding groups and raided with their friends instead of the new members which is totally justified.

It kinda hurts though when you see the Alts off raiding.

So now Cata is boring as hell on my mage.

If you have no access to raiding your left with Archaeology :(

I've started a tank now and its quite a fun change if a little daunting.

I'll check out Rift though and keep and eye on Cully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Biggest enjoyment in the game for me was pvp, but that's been absolutely destroyed by the sheer shocking amount of botters these days.
    I've the Druid and paladin at 85, shaman at 83 and a few others at 81 but it's too frustrating to play pvp with so many botters so I can't be arsed any more.
    Reckon I'll give rift a go too myself and quit wow until they sort the botter situation out.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Scram wrote: »
    Im been hearing a lot of talk from my folks in my guild saying that raid guilds they used to be in hardly have any active members, People are leaving all over the place.

I havnt set foot in one heroic yet i dont think my Dps is quite right and i dont really have the time or patience just yet to tackle one.

So its just Tol Barad dailys till i figure out what to do next.

Do all the cata quests in all the zones for money and items, get most of their reps up to honored, some revered. Should be able to buy some decent gear with that, exalted will give you a few epics and then boom .. ure in! :p Also if u do ure tailoring or leatherwork u can craft an epic there and what not.

There seems to be an overwhelming tone of

" The game is **** because people arn't raiding?"

Without doubt the change to lockouts has MURDERED so many guilds, with most just referring to 10man, sure you only have to ask Dustaz, part of a succesful Outland 25man guild that is struggling to raid 10 mans now.

It was a major lack of foresight from people in advance though.

Months before cataclysm arrived me and the rest of our officers decided to sit down and draw up a plan for Cataclysm and how exactly we would operate in the new expansion, and its gone pretty much according to plan.

We had hoped to run two groups but good raiders are hard to come by, and most we recruited had simple inflated applications and had been carried through wrath.

One thing I've found in Cata is that it very quickly seperates the good from bad raiders. The content and boss fights are alot more tricky imo then previous and the heroic content is still tough, even with 5 geared guild members.

The levelling experience from 80-85 is nice and itneresting aswell and ejoyable for me so I have plenty of alts to gear up through ehroics and plenty of raids.

I've constantly things to do aswell with my gold making, and its not boring in the slightest so I've been very happy with how things have progressed.

In saying that been part of a stable guild that was prepared for Cataclysm and getting progression done is a mjaor role in why things are going well.

The amount of unprepared guilds in Cata that ended up ****ting in is unbelieveable. We put 5 months prep work into a new website, portal, dkp system and guild structure and it has paid off in spades.

Guilds went walking into Cata with no discussion on how things work, and no plan B or C, what did they expect in all fairness.

If your an end game raider and feeling the bore cause you've a lack of raids,feel free to apply to us. I'm not going to lie some of the applicants we have had from boards is shocking, but sure worth a punt, worst that happens is we say no. ;)

Does anyone know what the basic minium dps is for an 85? With green gear <itemlvl 333.

is it 3-4k?

And what sort of Dps will i need before i consider Heroics? 8k+?

Scram wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the basic minium dps is for an 85? With green gear <itemlvl 333.

is it 3-4k?

And what sort of Dps will i need before i consider Heroics? 8k+?

For heroics you want more then jsut number. The criticals are

Know the instance and the boss fight.
    Be hit capped.
    Have some efficeny on your role.

In heroics your dps will probably kick off at about 5-6k and increase drastically over a shrot period.

You wont be allowed into heroics in greens, you'll need an ilvl off 321 before your literally allowed in.

This can be easily achieved from quest rewards and normal dungeons at the level 85 range.

Just dont walk in expect to be carried.

Nothing more furstrating as a dps when I q for 30 mins to have some scrub looknig to be carried for gear cause wipes and the group to disband.

I think what's making people quit or get bored with the game more easily this time around is the shocking long wait times as a dps for dungeons.
    Grand if you're a healer or tank though but most people in the game aren't.

Not sure how they can fix that either.

• Advertisement

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I think what's making people quit or get bored with the game more easily this time around is the shocking long wait times as a dps for dungeons.
    Grand if you're a healer or tank though but most people in the game aren't.

Not sure how they can fix that either.

Was the same during Wrath in fairness.

I'm dealing with it now better, cause I'm doing stuff on another screen while I wait, but its better then when you used to sit for hours in trade looking for a 5 man group.

It is better than what it was without the cross server dungeons, absolutely yes.

The other thing I'd make a point about and I said it at the time of Cata release, is that the rewards/drops et all all seem pretty piss poor for the time and effort you need to put in. That and because people were so used to facerolling dungeons in Wrath, the rewards were easier to get even if you had slackers in your group/raid.
    It's also a bit off putting that pvp gear, got simply from what many would consider a lot of people just get from afk botting in the battlegrounds, is of a higher ilvl than that received from dungeons, outside of epics or raids.
    I tank on my Druid and Pally in mostly pvp gear as after a bit of reforging and alternative gemming, the gear in certain slots is better than the crap I can (or been able to...) get from Dungeons - and I've nothing to spend the extra honour points or JP I earn on, so nowt to aim for unless I want to get into raiding, which I don't as I couldn't fathom putting the required time into raids any more, nor put up with guild drama of any sort that inevitably goes with raiding. It's not all like that I know but its generally the case that it is.

A thing for me is the rewards for the time and effort you put into your toon and in cata, those rewards just seem overall piss poor. Couple of Arena seasons in maybe things will change as older gear is unlocked for more casual non raiding or non arena players and newer gear unlocked for those that do raid or play arenas.
    Just seems to me that not an awful lot of effort went into the greater detail of this expansion from Blizzard compared to past expansions. This one could well have just been a free patch applied rather than something you paid for.

Still though, for me the biggest thing that's annoyed me is the Battlegrounds and the amount of botters running in them. Play a BG between the hours of 11pm and 7am (if you're a night owl like me) and you could very well be the only player there who is not controlling their character with botting software, WSG especially. In AV maybe only 30 on your side are botting if you're lucky.
    It's that blatant cheating and piss taking that's driving me away from the game.
    Only thing keeping me there at the moment is that my 9 year old son just hit 80 on his mage yesterday and I'll level up a character from 80 to 85 with him, we'll run an arena team together and gear up in cata dungeons, all for a bit of fun. Otherwise I'd already have stopped playing.
    I'll probably not renew when my sub is up.
    Hopefully Rift turns out great, along with the new PlanetSide being released to take up my gaming time.

It is better than what it was without the cross server dungeons, absolutely yes.

The other thing I'd make a point about and I said it at the time of Cata release, is that the rewards/drops et all all seem pretty piss poor for the time and effort you need to put in. That and because people were so used to facerolling dungeons in Wrath, the rewards were easier to get even if you had slackers in your group/raid.
    It's also a bit off putting that pvp gear, got simply from what many would consider a lot of people just get from afk botting in the battlegrounds, is of a higher ilvl than that received from dungeons, outside of epics or raids.
    I tank on my Druid and Pally in mostly pvp gear as after a bit of reforging and alternative gemming, the gear in certain slots is better than the crap I can (or been able to...) get from Dungeons - and I've nothing to spend the extra honour points or JP I earn on, so nowt to aim for unless I want to get into raiding, which I don't as I couldn't fathom putting the required time into raids any more, nor put up with guild drama of any sort that inevitably goes with raiding. It's not all like that I know but its generally the case that it is.

A thing for me is the rewards for the time and effort you put into your toon and in cata, those rewards just seem overall piss poor. Couple of Arena seasons in maybe things will change as older gear is unlocked for more casual non raiding or non arena players and newer gear unlocked for those that do raid or play arenas.
    Just seems to me that not an awful lot of effort went into the greater detail of this expansion from Blizzard compared to past expansions. This one could well have just been a free patch applied rather than something you paid for.

Still though, for me the biggest thing that's annoyed me is the Battlegrounds and the amount of botters running in them. Play a BG between the hours of 11pm and 7am (if you're a night owl like me) and you could very well be the only player there who is not controlling their character with botting software, WSG especially. In AV maybe only 30 on your side are botting if you're lucky.
    It's that blatant cheating and piss taking that's driving me away from the game.
    Only thing keeping me there at the moment is that my 9 year old son just hit 80 on his mage yesterday and I'll level up a character from 80 to 85 with him, we'll run an arena team together and gear up in cata dungeons, all for a bit of fun. Otherwise I'd already have stopped playing.
    I'll probably not renew when my sub is up.
    Hopefully Rift turns out great, along with the new PlanetSide being released to take up my gaming time.

I dont play PvP because I do not enjoy it and the changes to classes and emchanics are too drastic for any stability. ( plus out of principle I think PvP, especially arena, was a serious negative effect on this game) so I can't comment much.

But in fairness PvP gear was always easier to get then PvE gear. In every expansion we have seen people grabbing pvp gear for the easy purps, that has never changed.

But even a full pvp character, wouldnt get into any of our raids anyway.

Imo its a pretty scrubby and the sign of someone lazy, looking to show some purps and item lvl in order to be carried through raiding.

TheDoc wrote: »
    I dont play PvP because I do not enjoy it and the changes to classes and emchanics are too drastic for any stability. ( plus out of principle I think PvP, especially arena, was a serious negative effect on this game) so I can't comment much.

But in fairness PvP gear was always easier to get then PvE gear. In every expansion we have seen people grabbing pvp gear for the easy purps, that has never changed.

But even a full pvp character, wouldnt get into any of our raids anyway.

Imo its a pretty scrubby and the sign of someone lazy, looking to show some purps and item lvl in order to be carried through raiding.

I'm the opposite ye see, ever since the 40 man raids were discontinued I lost interest. Raids are too linear for me, tactics are posted everywhere, read them, follow them, boring... don't see much skill involved in killing a scripted boss nor the need to invest so much time in them or organising other people for same any more.
    I only do dungeons to get some gear and I meant that in regards the ilvl of pvp gear, not for raids (as I said, I don't bother raiding any more).
    Remove the ilvl on the pvp gear and it might help a bit to stop leechers/botters abusing the battlegrounds (not even competitive pvp ffs) to gear up mains or alts for heroics.

As for the scrub comment, I don't agree with it's use at all, it's a sign of elitism which is fine in one regards but most of those (as I see it) who claim to be elite have no job, no girlfriend, no family, basically no life outside of wow - which is fine if that's what you want.
    If I were running raids, I wouldn't let anyone in either if they had even a single piece of pvp gear but I wouldn't call them a scrub, not their fault the gear you get from the game is badly designed at the moment. Some are just used to running both normals and heroics in pvp gear, bit of sense and cop on and it's fine but not for raids.

Anyway, remove the ilvl on the pvp gear to stop it being used for dungeons and on the flipside, disallow pve gear of any sort being used in competitive pvp.

I've each class above lvl 80 at this stage, 2 at 85, 1 at 83 and a couple at 81 so maybe I'm just burnt out with the game overall :/

but I wouldn't call them a scrub, not their fault the gear you get from the game is badly designed at the moment.

Someone who gets PvP gear with the sole intention of using it for PvE, is pretty scrub.

It shows a lack of dedication and lazyness, you can acquire perfect gear through heroics and reputation factions, and once your in a raid the gearing process is relatively easy if your running in a guild run.

Granted I'm getting more and more annoyed with the dungeon Q for dps.

I'm just levelling alts to 85 then levelling a new one, not bothering with gearing.

Although my paladin is next as a tank and healer so his heroic gearing process should be relatively easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Someone who gets PvP gear with the sole intention of using it for PvE, is pretty scrub.

It shows a lack of dedication and lazyness, you can acquire perfect gear through heroics and reputation factions, and once your in a raid the gearing process is relatively easy if your running in a guild run.

Granted I'm getting more and more annoyed with the dungeon Q for dps.

I'm just levelling alts to 85 then levelling a new one, not bothering with gearing.

Although my paladin is next as a tank and healer so his heroic gearing process should be relatively easier.

How can people even raid with pvp ? It's been some time since I have done either really seriously but there was no way you could raid with pvp gear .

Calhoun wrote: »
    How can people even raid with pvp ? It's been some time since I have done either really seriously but there was no way you could raid with pvp gear .

precisely my point

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

For heroics you want more then jsut number. The criticals are

Know the instance and the boss fight.
    Be hit capped.
    Have some efficeny on your role.

In heroics your dps will probably kick off at about 5-6k and increase drastically over a shrot period.

You wont be allowed into heroics in greens, you'll need an ilvl off 321 before your literally allowed in.
    It's 331 actually
    Although there are a few ways around this if you're close to that ilevel .
    (not that I'd condone such things ;))

It's 331 actually
    Although there are a few ways around this if you're close to that ilevel .
    (not that I'd condone such things ;))

I have factually grabbed some Off Spec gear or str rep rings for a mage jsut to get into heroics ;)

But then I have a clue about my classes and am always productive ;)

• Advertisement

precisely my point

To whom ? To me ? Sure I couldn't give a crap, neither about raiding in wow nor elite no lifers calling others scrubs because they have a life outside of a game.
    I never said people *should* raid with pvp gear, I said the ilvl on the pvp gear was higher in most cases than that got from heroics, hence why the amount of botters/leechers in the battlegrounds farming honour points for pvp gear to use in dungeons and heroics.
    I have full heroic lvl and inc some epics for pve sets for healing, tanking and dps on my Druid. Much the same on my Paladin with healing and tanking gear.
    When you've levelled and geared your first 85 as far as you can go without raiding, it gets boring after that when there's nothing to aim for in the game.
    Anyway, I've cancelled Wow, Rift is too much fun + I get to play on US servers without any spastic Europeans. /sorted

Advertisement