Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

early Cata opinions

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just my point in general, not to anyone directly, don't know why your getting that tone, wasnt having a pop at you like :)

And the days of wow consuming life is so over.

I maintain a high level of performance, endgame progression and guild organisation while having plenty of stuff going on in life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

TheDoc wrote: »
    And the days of wow consuming life is so over.

I maintain a high level of performance, endgame progression and guild organisation while having plenty of stuff going on in life

This right here. Our guild will be starting heroic raiding next week. but already from raiding wednesday/thursday for 3 hours we have downed all bosses in the current raid tier. And that was with a few wipes cause of people being lazy, You can easily down all content in less then 6 hours. We now are gonna be adding Sunday onto our raiding scedule and progress through heroics. Pre heroics raids I pretty much have every BiS for my DK on tank, and sloly working on my DPS gear

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I have factually grabbed some Off Spec gear or str rep rings for a mage jsut to get into heroics ;)

But then I have a clue about my classes and am always productive ;)
    Its bizarre , you don't need to use them ,they don't need to be your optimal type (i.e. plate users can have a cloth helm in their bag) hell! you don't even need to ever equip them (I'd a 333 set of cloth gloves in my hunters bag for a few days , until a mail glove set dropped , I then sold it on the AH).They only need to be in your bags when you go to enter the dungeon. As a gear check its a bit rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Cataclysm made me quit.

Nah not really.

I had been playing WoW from U.S. release on Darkspear US (Rank 13 Warrior) and swapped to EU servers not long after TBC's release. However I did un-install and cancel my Sub about a month and a half ago, but many friends still play of course.

After 6 years, despite liking the game itself, I'd just gotten bored of the same old game with the same things to do every day. Left the top rated PvP guild on Argent Dawn EU with some great people, but a few slackers. Guess I also got tired of non-stop drama on the server, to much of which revolved around me. People take some games to seriously.

I will admit, having played a Warrior since it's release, I was not happy at all about the change to Charge/Intercept. Mobility and stance hopping was what I loved about the class, and was more than willing to accept a damage nerf (we were overpowered) but not a mobility nerf.

Rated Battlegrounds were a total let-down, while the idea was good it just seemed to be failing and players were able to gain Rank 14 with far to much ease, not that I'm saying the old system was better, but at least it took longer than a month.

I guess, after all of it, I got tired of seeing bad choices being made by Blizzard, a company I've followed since Warcraft I, as well as worked for. Patch after patch just seemed to be bizarre nerfs and buffs, changes which nobody thought was a good idea implemented and reversed constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Just my point in general, not to anyone directly, don't know why your getting that tone, wasnt having a pop at you like :)

Sorry, probably a lack of sleep on my part, came across a bit curt in that reply maybe :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Without doubt the change to lockouts has MURDERED so many guilds, with most just referring to 10man, sure you only have to ask Dustaz, part of a succesful Outland 25man guild that is struggling to raid 10 mans now.

Yeah, Cata is ****ing harsh on guilds for a few reasons. We were a fairly competant 25 man guild from vanilla onwards, usually about a month or two behind the top guilds to the end of tier content (although we have a long tradidition of giving up before finishing end of expansion bosses - Cthun went down, but KJ and LK Hc didnt:P ).

This expansion has a couple of convergant features that have hurt us massively. One is that the fights are a lot more punishing on the individual, where one persons mistake can wipe the entire raid. This was always the case on end-tier bosses but not on entry level raids. (think about how easy kara and nax 3.0 were). This means that when your rebuilding your roster after the hiatus between expansions, trying out new people becomes very difficult if theyre not up to scratch. Add to this the change in lock outs where people have friends guilds doing 10 man content. They see freinds flying through 10 man normal content and decide its easier that way rather than wiping a little more on 25. It really does seem at this point that normals are a lot easier in 10 where heroics are easier in 25. The last point is that really at this stage in wow's life, the raids are really nothing new and its more of the same and people who have played for 5 years are realising that and just getting sick of it.

Anyway, at this point it means weve bled members and were down to 10 mans, which really sucks and tbh is putting me off the game yet again.

Dustaz wrote: »
    Anyway, at this point it means weve bled members and were down to 10 mans, which really sucks and tbh is putting me off the game yet again.

But GOOD ten mans are awesome, you know you wwant too :)

I was never really raiding 25mans much in Wotlk , I was always 10 man and I found the bigger raid comps a bit impersonal.

With our current 10 man setup its personal where we all know each other, weaknesses and strengths, and the rotation and backups we have all work well, we can slot people in and out week to week to ensure everyone is getting a fair crack of the whip.

Heroics modes for us is underway and watching the guild progress is going to be fun. I jsut feel alot of guilds were just not prepared for the transition from Wotlk to Cata.

We went through a good few trialists and lost a few core members already, but our progression hasnt suffered due to preparation and planning, which alot of guilds have not done.

I'm suprised we arnt running as many alt runs as we would like, the gearing up time through Heroics is heart breaking, I'm levelling a priest from scratch just cause I'm not ****ed going through gearing another dps, again.

At the moment just focusing on my mage getting his dailies done, gathering the last bits of gear, and levelling a scratch priest on the side for fun.

When we clear heroic modes we will be moving into more alt runs so there will be more enthusiasm to work hard on alts.

I do find myself having alot of downtime lately, I fill it up with making gold, but I could easily see for people who arnt, how there would be alot of downtime.

But then lets not forget the next expansion is more then likely dropping Q1/2 in 2012, so this was very much going to be a shorter expansion , but in a way, its kinda nice that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭blodvyn

Games complete and utter piss, nothing to do at arena level cause below 2500 everyone bar a few playing underpowered classes are absolute god awful.

pve is a joke, and has been in wow since sunwell, its dumbed down for the casual to no end, if you're failing at wow especially pve then.......................................................

blodvyn wrote: »
    Games complete and utter piss, nothing to do at arena level cause below 2500 everyone bar a few playing underpowered classes are absolute god awful.

pve is a joke, and has been in wow since sunwell, its dumbed down for the casual to no end, if you're failing at wow especially pve then.......................................................

Whats your current raid progression chief?

And when did you get your ICC 12/12 Heroic kill

Or are you just like everyone else who claims pve is a joke, and if you wipe your ****.

I'm cool for people having opinions, but its getting a bit old at this stage when people just bash endgame content without seeing / showing what they have done.

Not directly having a pop at you, but I don't see alot of guilds with 12/12 heroics done in Cata yet, indicating that things are not simply a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

WOTLK raid content was a walk in the park compared to TBC, in WOTLK i managed 11/12 25 man heroic with very very little effort, i barely looked at tactics.

In TBC i probably put in more time/effort and only cleared SSC and all bosses in TK and in my opinion the bosses were alot harder, and alot more fun. Ulduar is the only instance they got right in wotlk imo, its a shame i was inactive when it was released as it looked like alot of fun.

ICC was the biggest let down, and togc was just a yawnfest, both perfect examples of dev laziness.

Cata is a big improvement from wotlk but still nowhere near as good as TBC and still watered down with easy/hard modes. I am in no way tempted to start raiding again and will be cancelling my account again most likely when the weather picks up as its just boring as fook..

[/myopinion]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

A lot of downtime is nice though and is a most welcome side effect of the shared lockout. Think of the pressure you were under to run ICC 10 + 25 on 2 (or more) characters in a week. If you feel you have to play WoW every night of the week, the current WoW is certainly not the game for you. You can get your caps, be they PVE or PVP on 2 characters with plenty of time to spare. I'm actually enjoying playing other games again, it's good to be able to log out :)

The raid tier so far has interesting mechanics but the wheel can only be reinvented so many times and anyone who has seen it before will either be bored of it or welcome it to speed up the transition into heroics. I don't find it annoying as some of the mechanics are still challenging and you can't assume in a 10 man environment that everyone has the same experience. Looking at our Al'akir wipes, they mostly happened in P3 because people weren't used to the "swim" effect that KT had back in TK. Our wipes went from 10+ --> 5 --> 1 in our last three kills on him, that's progress and that's enjoyable. Fights like that are the checks you need to see if someone should be raiding hard mode content.

I did find the initial progression to be somewhat slow and thought it was hampered by gear but after running in an alt run on a rather green shammy (hello spirit flask for the hit cap!). It is down to pure mechanics though, plain and simple. Sure the fights lasted 2 mins longer then our mains but we knew the mechanics, could avoid preventable damage and rolled cooldowns when needed. I think the only gear dependent fights are the end bosses of Nef and Cho'gal, the rest you can survive long enough with a smart raid. I can see alt raids and organised PUGs kicking off again soon when people have more experience with the mechanics rather then the gear aspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I didnt think it was sustainable where many raiding people were feeling like they had to spend like 6hrs a day doing raids, farming mats etc. That's fine for a few months, but many are onto years now.

I think they changed the game hoping to keep dedicated players in it without feeling REQUIRED to do 10+25 man heroic of all the raids each week, and yet also appealing to the more casual player. However, it's kinda meant that many people have recognised there's other stuff outside of wow.

Maybe they're thinking they'll have better chance to sell on Diablo3 and whatever their other project is. I know I played practically no other games while I was raiding, and I missed out on alot of other experiences (mass effect, dragon age, sc2, batman: arkham etc).

Whats your current raid progression chief?

And when did you get your ICC 12/12 Heroic kill

Or are you just like everyone else who claims pve is a joke, and if you wipe your ****.

I'm cool for people having opinions, but its getting a bit old at this stage when people just bash endgame content without seeing / showing what they have done.

Not directly having a pop at you, but I don't see alot of guilds with 12/12 heroics done in Cata yet, indicating that things are not simply a walk in the park.

Don't even bother trying to berate my wow, I've been around this forum from the get go and banned just as much, I've completed every single encounter in this game pve or pvp, the only thing that eludes me is a r1 title, I've been glad every season since s2, I completed bane and did so 13th in europe, If you want to talk about wow lets talk about you a year ago posting here every 2nd day rerolling and rerolling asking how to talent / gear your lock and or begging for a guild off of dustaz.

I currently tank heroic end game comment, feel free to whisper me kid and I'll let you know what its like.

Don't even bother trying to berate my wow, I've been around this forum from the get go and banned just as much, I've completed every single encounter in this game pve or pvp, the only thing that eludes me is a r1 title, I've been glad every season since s2, I completed bane and did so 13th in europe, If you want to talk about wow lets talk about you a year ago posting here every 2nd day rerolling and rerolling asking how to talent / gear your lock and or begging for a guild off of dustaz.

I currently tank heroic end game comment, feel free to whisper me kid and I'll let you know what its like.

Epic...lolz....

Feel free to talk about me asking for advice on a class I'd never rolled, or me asking to join a good guild. Never heard of you before, cant remember seeing you post before so obviously I asked.

And since there is a horde of people jumping on the bandwagon of " Cataclysm is casual easy mode, " forgive me for questioning where you are coming from.

And thanks for the invitation for tanking lessons, I'll extend the offer to yourself for DPS advice in "heroic end game content".

Are we done wagging willies now?

But then lets not forget the next expansion is more then likely dropping Q1/2 in 2012, so this was very much going to be a shorter expansion , but in a way, its kinda nice that way.

My guess would be late 2012 for the expansion. From the leaked blizzard scedule the want it for Q2 of 2012 but with delays and what not Q3/Q4 would be more likely

Columc wrote: »
    My guess would be late 2012 for the expansion. From the leaked blizzard scedule the want it for Q2 of 2012 but with delays and what not Q3/Q4 would be more likely

yeah probably right in fairness, looking at previous expansions they have all being tail end of 2012, but there is definitly enough content on the way and alts to level and moeny to make to keep me enthralled for a year anyway.

Along with my new horde project, throwing back the years to level a horde from scratch ;)

Epic...lolz....

Feel free to talk about me asking for advice on a class I'd never rolled, or me asking to join a good guild. Never heard of you before, cant remember seeing you post before so obviously I asked.

And since there is a horde of people jumping on the bandwagon of " Cataclysm is casual easy mode, " forgive me for questioning where you are coming from.

And thanks for the invitation for tanking lessons, I'll extend the offer to yourself for DPS advice in "heroic end game content".

Are we done wagging willies now?

No thanks, I don't feel the need to ask for dps advice from someone playing his class a year and raiding high end game content for the same amount, cheers tho.

No thanks, I don't feel the need to ask for dps advice from someone playing his class a year and raiding high end game content for the same amount, cheers tho.

EDITEd

Probably reacting too much to what you probably felt was a personal assault, so I'm leaving it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Seems like the US wow forums here now.

Well I haven't played wow in a few weeks now and am kinda missing it.

Think I just needed a break. Guild now need me to use my off-spec (blood tank) in raids :eek:

I never really tanked as DK.

Doc you 10 or 25 raids/heroics and how are they? We are now on 11/12 on 25 man(four winds ****er is a pain in the ass for 25 man) we were spose to start doing/looking at heroics this raid reset but yesterday and today was hell for peopel to show up, hope they didnt get bored..

• Advertisement

Columc wrote: »
    Doc you 10 or 25 raids/heroics and how are they? We are now on 11/12 on 25 man(four winds ****er is a pain in the ass for 25 man) we were spose to start doing/looking at heroics this raid reset but yesterday and today was hell for peopel to show up, hope they didnt get bored..

Outland was down last night so our progression is tonight.

We do 10 man Colum, we were raiding 25's in Wotlk but all our guilds werent really performing, so we setup a little 10 man guild of mates, and its really flourished, never could have dreamt how we would come along.

I enjoy the 10man content more, more personal and enjoyable since you know everyone, found 25man raids very impersonal, 40 man raids in vanilla I was just "another priest"

So I for one am happy the way raiding content has gone.

Three raid nights, 2 hours a night.
    We have all 12 bosses on farm and we clear 12 a week and we add a new heroic or two each week steadily progressing, we arnt in for bashing progression ranks, but we are getting it done nicely, also lets us rotate members and bring in new raiders to see how they cope.

The current setup is perfect for us anyway, and the more hardcore lads continue on raiding with the servers top progression guilds on the offnights

Bah!

I go to log on after been offline for awhile and my Authenticator keychain is out of sync with the battle.net login servers. Unlike the mobile ones, you can't resync these yourself. A Bliz customer care employee has to resync it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,472 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Bah!

I go to log on after been offline for awhile and my Authenticator keychain is out of sync with the battle.net login servers. Unlike the mobile ones, you can't resync these yourself. A Bliz customer care employee has to resync it.
    interesting. they fall out of sync after long periods of inactivity?

Overheal wrote: »
    interesting. they fall out of sync after long periods of inactivity?

Yeah seems so. This is the second time it has happen to me. Battery could be dying in it so it might have lost time like a watch.

Annoying as I'm not just locked out of wow but sc2. I'll probably buy a new one as I'm not sure I trust the mobile ones enough.

Well i got it sorted.

The bliz guy said my keychain is over 2 years old and they usually need to be replaced around that mark. Gonna use the Android one for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Well i got it sorted.

The bliz guy said my keychain is over 2 years old and they usually need to be replaced around that mark. Gonna use the Android one for the time being.

The keychain Authenticator's should last 7 years or so.

I reckon he said that just to be on the safe side honestly, but I would advise sticking to the Mobile version when possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,472 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well that kinda sucks. i'd expect them to last longer.

if you arent using the auth anyway, maybe you should crack it open and see what kind of power source it uses? may or may not be cheaper to replace that then the whole auth.

Well the break did me good. I started back signing for raids last night. Did BWD to chim. Ran out of time as we had problems on magmaw - other melee doing chains with me mouse bugged out and wouldn't right click.

Advertisement