Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

liver cancer

Options
  • 07-12-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

anybody know someone who has survived liver cancer..?
    close friend has developed liver cancer signs so far are not great..
    just wondering if there are any good luck stories i might be able to relay as some sort of encouragement ? young woman 36yrs old:mad::confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It is primary or secondary in the liver?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Was diagnosed with a different cancer (oesophageal cancer) in 2006 when I was 32. I know that they are totally different cancers but the prognosis on mine is not good (was given about 8% chance of survival). I am still here and I have married my husband 2 weeks after chemo, had a son in April this year and am over 12 weeks pregnant again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I'm a Cancer survivor, but Liver Cancer is not an area I'm particularly familiar with, however I understand that general health and related factors will have a strong bearing on outcome.

I would strongly recommend that your friend ring the Irish Cancer Society's free helpline 1800-200-700. They will be able to give her information and also put her in touch with other Liver Cancer survivors, who will be able to help her. She can also talk to a Cancer nurse. Everything is treated in confidence. I would strongly recommend that she ring the helpline.

There is also a drop-in facility and there are many other drop-in centres run by Cancer support groups around the country.

Tell her about the helpline, but be patient. She needs to come to terms with her new situation first and probably won't ring straight away. A gentle and discreet reminder in a while might help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I have never suffered with the disease as of yet but a number of people close to me have and have passed on. I recently did a fundraiser for ARC cancer support. they have an office in Eccles street oppisite the mater hospital. They have been used by some of the people I know and privide an excellent service, providing free councilling to cancer suffers, family members and carers etc. their website is http://www.arccancersupport.ie if you and your friend are interested in getting in touch.
    i wish you and your friend the best

Advertisement