Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confused on property tax

Options
  • 07-12-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi everybody
    This is my first post and on a subject I have only recently had a reason to be interested in so any advice is appreciated.
    I have an opportunity to buy a site with a derelict cottage on it just down the road from the family home, the price is such that there should be little or no borrowing involved in the purchase.
    I understand that there has been no change to the stamp duty on land/sites in the budget today but as the site already has a derelict cottage on it would that place it in the residential category and now subject to the 1% rate?

My second query ties in with the first. I intend to renovate the place myself and hopefully move into the cottage in two to three years time(this depends on the project,my job and cashflow).Would I have to pay the forthcoming propety tax whilst I am undertaking this project even though I am not in residence? and excuse my ignorance but when exactly does a site become a residential property.The cottage has no services connected.

Any advice Is welcome, and why was there no outline of the new property tax today? looks like they are leaving FG/labour take the flak for that one.
    regards
    H

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hochnie wrote: »
    and excuse my ignorance but when exactly does a site become a residential property.
    Typically, in a normal construction situation when major works are finished and the permanent electrical supplies are turned on. That may not be exact in all cases. The finance bill will likely have a definition.

To date, properties that have never been occupied are not subject to the NPPR tax.

Advertisement