Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower tray with upstand or classi seal???

• 07-12-2010 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi

I'm currently getting my bathroom renovated. The builder has supplied a standard shower tray and stuck a seal around the edge (which looks like blue plastic with black rubber sticking it to the tray). My father however has told me that the shower tray needs to have an inbuilt upstand to be effective. The builder insists that the rubber seal will actually work better but I don't know if that's true or if he just doesn't want the hassle or expense of replacing it. Can anybody tell me which is considered best please? Am worried that I'm going to end up with leaks within a year or two. The shower is being fitting on a wooden floor.
    Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Both are good. TBH i personally think the classi seal better because it is a lot more flexi than the shower tray upstand. This is important if its a quadrant tray installed as you will later need all the ajustment you can get when ordering the door...

Just for your interest. The classi seal is a bitumen seal(like tar) its very very difficult to remove once applied... This is how good it is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Ellajee

Thanks Joey, that's reassuring - really can't face the thought of any more water coming through my kitchen ceiling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

classi seal is most commonly used now and works well tho im a firm believer that if a shower tray is fitted correctly then it doesnt need anything but a bead of silicone around it once in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Classi Seal is very good, and I've used it before. Its bitumen, and oil based, so it'll not be penetrated by water.

Advertisement