Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E46 BMW 3 series coolant problem - help please!

Options
  • 07-12-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm completely ignorant of car stuff so forgive me but...

Driving my car this evening the coolant level warning light came on. I also noticed that no heat was coming through the heater.

I topped it up. The "float" gauge thing is invisible (missing?) but after putting a full bottle of coolant in the light remained on. I put another bottle in and the light went off and the needle remained in the middle of the temperature gauge.

I drove for a few minutes and the gauge remained steady and the warning light stayed off. After a few minutes steam or some similar gas seemed to be coming out of the engine bay.

Completely mystified and nervous of a big bill! Is there anything I should be looking for?

Also, I'm supposed to be driving someone to the airport at 5.00am. Is it too risky?

Thanks in advance.

K
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭beam99

The plastic expansion tank ( the bottle u topped up are knowing for cracking)
    the water pump may be leaking as well or a hose. when you put the coolant in the system needs to be bleed, just behind the filler cap there is a plastic screw that needs to be removed to let the air out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

If you want to drive the car in the am you'll need to top up the system, bleed it, get internal heater working, then try see where the leak is.

There's no point doing in a head gasket for the sake of a €0.50 o-ring.

Check all hose connections, coolant expansion tank, rad, L-shaped pipe at back of head.

I don't think any of the e46s had a plastic impeller on the waterpump. Was a very common failure on the e36.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dub6Kevin

Update:

When I went out to try and bleed the coolant system the car refused to start. Not like a flat battery; the lights flashed and there was a regular rapid clicking noise.

I've booked a taxi to take the mother to the airport and am thinking of selling my body to pay the inevitable awful bill. :(

Any expert tips?

Sounds like battery is low, get it on charge or get a boost.

The bill might not be too bad at all, could be very simple once the root cause is found.

Thanks for the reassurance but I don't think it is just a low battery as the lights work but the engine isn't turning at all.

I think it might be some sort of engine management thing.

Thanks for the help folks. Left a message for my mechanic to book it in for tomorrow.

• Advertisement

The rapid clicking noise is the starter solinoid. The battery has to be in good shape as it's located in the boot.

Have you had the car long? The e46 are a fairly reliable car, don't give much engine management trouble...

Yeah we've had it from new.

Never any serious problems but it has begun sounding a bit "agricultural" lately. ;-)

Advertisement