Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Develop App as freelancer.. should I provide source?

Options
  • 07-12-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I want to put in a proposal to develop a small android app through a freelance site.

The app is pretty small but there's a pretty complex component to it that I think the employer wants done cheap. I'm guessing that he/she will then take the app and develop it further.

Now, i'm going to put in a pretty competitive quote just so I can get the work. Should I provide the source also or just the compiled package for the working app?

Also, if you say no to the above should I state that in my proposal or just say I will develop the app for x amount. Then upon delivery refuse to hand over the source as it was never mentioed or included in the project requirements?

Alternatively, should I say that source is available at an extra cost? If so, how much?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

In this order:

1. Find out what the standard procedure/fallback is on the freelance site. You're not the only person with this question.
    2. Look into the employers history (have they honored past contracts, are they reputable).
    3. Have a minimum price set in your mind.
    4. Create a video demonstration with voiceover of the your working functionality.
    5. Wait for the employer to express interest.

Take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Generally you would just sell the rights to the app. Handing over the source code will likely deprive you of significant future income so that should be factored into the price.

There's also the possible matter of him reselling the app and/or the source, depends on the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Thanks guys.

I'll just put in a quote for the app and tell him that as a general rule I keep source code for my projects.

If source is to be released then i'll charge an extra fee.

Advertisement