Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water in the Attic

• 07-12-2010 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I just took down the Christmas decorations from the attic to discover there is water dripping from inside the roof, and on my decorations :(

The snow has melted off the tiles outside on the roof but the felt is wet in a line across the attic and dripping water. Also, there are pockets of frozen water between the felt and the tiles.

Do I need my roof retiled or could this jut be condensation?

I have insulation on the attic floor.

Any anyone have ideas how to fix it or how serious this is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

i do think its condensation from the heat of the house hitting the cold air warm air scenario

am i right anybody , shoudl i leave the attic door open ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Do you have a bathroom extractor fan venting into the attic? Moist bathroom air entering a cold attic in the current conditions might be causing it.

Always found it a bit strange that so many houses have ceiling mounted extractors which simply vent into the attic rather than being ducted to the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭faolteam

going to attic ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Often a source of water in the attic is the pointing between the ridge tiles. Over time it erodes away and lets water leak through. That water then runs down the roofing felt under the tiles, and that stuff can be almost guaranteed to leak somewhere, particularly if the house is fairly old.

Re-pointing is easy enough, and a roofer will do it in a couple of hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

I remember my old, dodgy heating system used to send a lot of hot water/steam to the expansion tank. Caused a lot of condensation until rectified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

You could ask a client of mine about it - they're do a lot of leak detection and water saving products, I'm sure they may be able to help. Ask for Alan or Michael : http://www.smartenergysystems.ie/leak-detection/

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Rollercoaster

meercat wrote: »

Thanks. This thread seems to describe a very similar problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 purpleroses

Hi Rollercoaster,

Just wondering if you got your water in the attic problem sorted out ?

What was the cause and how much was it to fix ?

Thanks

Advertisement