Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search and Rescue helicopter

Options
  • 07-12-2010 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

Seems to be searching the river around the cathedral been there a good while now and I can hear plenty of sirens, anybody have any idea whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Yeah see it out with the spotlight circling.. hope nobody hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bill murray

Its a woman apparently.Can't be good to be in the water this long :( People heard her screaming

poor woman.. hope she's ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Damn cold night for anyone to go into the river.

Can still hear the chopper there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,494 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hope they get the person out safely :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Aw no. I'm in a fourth floor apartment behind Jury's and they're flying so low I can see the people in the helicopter. They seemed to be going from the cathedral to the Claddagh and over and back, but the seem to be staying upstream now.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bill murray

Lot of bad things happening around galway last couple of days :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭bigtuna

They seem to be searching the river from claddagh to cathedral. Helicopter has been going up and down for the last while. Hope she will be ok.

Someone on twitter says alot of smoke
    "Helicopter out with searchlights in #Galway city, seems to be a lot of smoke. Anyone know what's happening?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

god hope nobody is hurt but it doesn't sound good:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

Im at Fr.Griffin Road,can hear at least one chopper circling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Fire up in bohermore might explain smoke. Fire in cill ard

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

We can hear it from St marys road see it down at woulfe tone bridge. Hope she's okay

It's just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭djfitzerjnr

I'm down here near Monroe's at it's been around at least 25 mins here, we saw it below at the bridge for a good while. hope she's ok.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I can hear a helicopter here in Knocknacarra for the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Ya pretty much live on the river beside the back of Born.
    They we're over our house a good 15 minutes so low that my clothes blew of the washing line. I could see a crowd of about 50 ppl on the canal watching too.......but i suppose if somebody is actually in the water, some extra eyes couldnt hurt.

It must be freezing though. And they've been searching for at least 25 minutes now. Really hope whoever it is is ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Just the one helicopter searching. Just moving between the weir and a bit down from the bridge behind Born.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yddil

Seems to have gone now, surely they would have stuck around if they'd found anyone.
    Do you think they might need help with the search?

Yddil wrote: »
    Seems to have gone now, surely they would have stuck around if they'd found anyone.
    Do you think they might need help with the search?

Was just going to ask that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

I can't imagine anyone surviving in the water for too long in this cold. A matter of minutes at most.

• Advertisement

Anyone know where they are, if people want to see if they can help?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I could be wrong but could be re-fueling?

I live in Abbeygate Street. I saw the helicopter go in the direction of the cathedral/courthouse. I can't see the canal so not sure if people are down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Spent 1/2 hour on river this evening...watching guards, fire brigrdade, sea rescure & ambulance search the river...God be witih anyone there in trouble this evening...
    ......an hour later....helicopter over-head......not a pleasant sound at all....

I can't imagine anyone surviving in the water for too long in this cold. A matter of minutes at most.

I wouldn't think it's that bad, sure there was people down practising for the xmas day swim a few days ago, would having clothes on make it any worse?. Would it be any worse at night?

How does someone end up falling in(in general), even more so how does someone end up falling in during this weather at this time. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

The air is colder than the water - it's not the arctic no matter what RTE say. It's not something you'd want to be in for a long time but it's not the south pole in terms of killing you in a matter of a few minutes either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

Anyone know where they are, if people want to see if they can help?

Leave it to the professionals. Well meaning but non trained civilians are more of a hazard than anything else in rescue situations. The local fire station has plenty of experience and equipment.
    I wouldn't think it's that bad, sure there was people down practising for the xmas day swim a few days ago, would having clothes on make it any worse?. Would it be any worse at night?

How does someone end up falling in(in general), even more so how does someone end up falling in during this weather at this time.

Xmas swimmers only stay in very briefly. Someone in the river for over 25 minutes is in a very serious situation, especially in they aren't used to the cold water. The cold shock alone can give you a heart attack.
    As for how they got there, who knows. Probably one of 3 scenarios: Accident, drunk horseplay, or suicide attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Aiel wrote: »
    I could be wrong but could be re-fueling?

Was thinking that also. And they're not just going to stop because they think somebody might not have survived that long either. They'l keep searching till somebody is found. Not sure where i read it but as far as i know....you've a higher chance of being revived if you're in freezing cold water too. Although then there is the issue of hypothermia. That said, I'm no expert whatsoever.........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Xiney wrote: »
    The air is colder than the water - it's not the arctic no matter what RTE say. It's not something you'd want to be in for a long time but it's not the south pole in terms of killing you in a matter of a few minutes either.

To be fair, it is more the current and chances of drowning that are the things that would kill you first.

I really hope they find whomever they are looking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Xiney wrote: »

The water temperature is no more than 6 or 7 degrees. Given wind chill and water currents there aren't many people who could last more than a matter or minutes.

It's probably a recovery mission at this stage unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement