Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search and Rescue helicopter

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thing I hate about Galway is when the same helicopter goes beachcombing on a Saturday, 9 days later. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Is there any update on this?

Hope no one's hurt :(
    someone said on the galway advertiser facebook page that a body was found, but that's probably just rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Heard what sounded like a low-flying chopper around the hospital area earlier (10:40 ish) - any relation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Is there any update on this?

Hope no one's hurt :(
    someone said on the galway advertiser facebook page that a body was found, but that's probably just rumours.

i was down nimmos at around 12.30 and saw people searching with torches.
    so i doubt they have found anyone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

No word on any national news this morning, didn't hear GBFM.

Anybody got any updates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

I was wondering why I could hear the helicopter but couldn't see it last night, and I'm in Knocknacarra.

It sounded like it was in Knocknacarra too, it was that clear.

Didn't think it was searching for a person :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Starie1975 wrote: »
    No word on any national news this morning, didn't hear GBFM.

Anybody got any updates?

From http://www.galwaynews.ie/16462-major-search-after-reports-woman-fell-water-city
    The search was stood down after about 2 hours and nothing was found.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

Doesn't seem to be anything happening there this morning. I would have thought that if nothing was found the search would continue in the morning. I didn't walk over the Salmon Weir itself though so there may have been boat/divers on the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I'd assume any searching today would be based down by Nimmo's pier and beyond. Seemed to be called down very soon last night, still unconfirmed that someone went in - maybe it's policy not to do a prolonged search if it's not confirmed. I'm sure they know what they're at anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hope it was just a mistake and no one actually fell in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

News not good unfortunately... :(

Was on Galway Bay FM that the search has resumed for a 26yr old woman with an address in the city but from Mayo will continue today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

any care to give a link to google steet view, of where she went in??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Galwaynews.ie :
    A major air and sea search operation for a woman in her twenties will resume in the city today.

It's feared the 26 year old woman slipped into the waters close to the Salmon Weir bridge last night.

She is described at 5 foot 9, of medium build and was wearing blue jeans and a dark jacket when she was reported missing.

Emergency services searched for the woman for over two hours last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Just when you think the news couldn't get any worse, kind of puts the economy etc into perspective.

So sad.

Right now it seems like a recovery mission, rather than a rescue one. I really hope I'm going to be proven wrong though - I really, really, really hope I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Aiel wrote: »
    Thermal imaging from the chopper wont work now.The woman has been in the water too long and has lost alot of body heat so wont be picked up by the choppers imaging camera.At this point they should be searching around Nimmo's pier for a body i'd say.

thats actually incorrect,the FLIR camera is sensitive to .05 degrees C

lets hope she is found

Lads FFS no offence but save the nerdy tech talk for another thread, were talking about someones daughter/sister/girlfriend/friend here, a little respect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Fuctifino

I dunno which is worse, the depth nerds go in an argument, or the people complaining on an online messageboard about the depth nerds are going in an argument.

Its like layers of nerd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

With all due respect to people here sometimes this "nerdyness" is needed in posts here as quite alot of people do not know what the S61N's of the IRCG are capable of as one poster demonstrated "she went away due to fog" which is totally incorrect and mis-informing to people so its no harm to get posts from the likes of myself who know a bit about it and who know people who actually have served and are still serving with the Irish Coast Guard flying and Operating these machines.

I for one pray that I never ever ever will have to call on one of these to assist me. But I feel its great to know that these assets and people are available.

Apologies to Styer and the rest of the lads for the use of the N word but being one myself I don't mean it as an insult (unlike fuctifino by the tone of the post). Your'e correct in that sharing inside knowledge is a good thing, I just dont think its an appropriate time/place, believe me I'd be quite happy to discuss the technical specs of the search chopper and its camera systems but for all it's 21st century technology it was unable to help this poor girl. Once again apologies, I guess this news was the straw that broke the camels back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Eman Resu wrote: »
    I just dont think its an appropriate time/place

Thats fine but when people start mis-informing its only fair they be corrected, if i mis-inform i should also be corrected. And it wasnt a discussion about it, just merely correcting posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Only spotted this now, really sad:(

Any word on the fire that was in Cill Ard mentioned earlier? I doubt that was too serious if it wasn't mentioned again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Fuctifino wrote: »
    I dunno which is worse, the depth nerds go in an argument, or the people complaining on an online messageboard about the depth nerds are going in an argument.

Its like layers of nerd

Excellent point Fuctifino,.................

however confusing;

You see I am confused of how today, you are acting the smartarse, derogatorily calling other poster's nerds, when just a little over a week ago you posted this little beauty, :
    Fuctifino wrote: »
    120 km/h is the speed limit, however allowing for speedometer differential and the 10% leeway given by calibrated speed cameras, i consider 125 to be the speed limit.

And as i said, i was on the motorway; if i had meant the N6 i would of said the N6.
    s

Am I reading it wrong?

speedometer differential,
    10% leeway,
    calibrated speed,

These all seem like technical, almost nerdy terms. But you wouldn't use nerdy term like these would you?
    I'am guessing someone, not yourself is responsible for, one or the other of the above posts attributed to your username.

It's the only explanation. Well there is also another possible explanation: that your full of
    Clue: it's warm and brown, and it not a brownie!

So, how do you respond?
    Pedantically yours.

Stop it. Now.

FFS - a woman may be dead.

/moderation

Stop it. Now.

FFS - a woman may be dead.

/moderation

If there's any more news on this, can someone start a new thread to discuss it.

Any discussion on rescue technology/survival/water temperature probably belongs in one of the following places:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1023
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1273
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=905
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=430
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=973
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=374

But certainly not in the GC forum, and certainly not on a thread like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement