Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dates for BJJ Comps 2011

• 08-12-2010 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

regardless what dates we pick we'll clash with something...so this is what we're going for

Feb 20th - Dublin open
    May 8th - Irish closed (must have irish passport to compete)
    Oct 23rd - Irish open

stick them in your calender now! :)

all other info will posted closer to the dates on usual sites.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭colinlaird000

I don't mean to point out the obvious or be politically contentious, but with the Irish closed.. will Gentlemen and Laides with a British passport be able to compete? Or do I need to go get an Irish passport for the occasion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Are they all with the Gi?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

Id ask the same question as Colin, alittle controversial for us Northern ones who have British passports,lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

munster open in june again maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

The Munster Open is scheduled for Next quarter. date not finalized.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Liam_B wrote: »

Liam,
    That means Q1, right?

Liam_B wrote: »
    Cant wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Liam_B

Liam,
    That means Q1, right?

Thats the plan guys. will have finalized date as soon as X-mas is over.
    So with Irish Open/Irish Closed/Dublin Open & also Munster Open, should be good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

Irish closed is Irish passport only

In the same way you cant represent Ireland in the olympics with a British passport

Thats seems a bit.. odd.. as its purely a matter of politics. I can go out now and get an Irish passport tomorrow, so by that arguement should i have to get my Irish passport, just to enter a BJJ comp? I'm fairly sure the irish rugby team are't too bothered about Stephen Ferris playing for them. Maybe he should have to get an Irish passport to play at Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Thats seems a bit.. odd.. as its purely a matter of politics. I can go out now and get an Irish passport tomorrow, so by that arguement should i have to get my Irish passport, just to enter a BJJ comp? I'm fairly sure the irish rugby team are't too bothered about Stephen Ferris playing for them. Maybe he should have to get an Irish passport to play at Croke Park.
    Well they have to fill the Aviva now so he won't be there anymore for one thing!

Maybe there's something else at play re: the British BJJ fed or something but I for one would like to see an all island tournament as the Irish Closed.

I'm sure more info will be forthcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Colin, bothe the IRFU and the GUI (gofl union of Ireland) predate partition, hence British passport holders can represent Ireland on the international stage, Ferris , BESt etc in rugby or McElroy or McDowell in golf.., but in most other sports there are a governing bodies on both sides of the border, run seperately, take soccer for example, where Northern born players have to hold Irish passports to play for the Republic, a FIFA/UEFA requirement. Also i dont think John is taking a political stance, so lets all not try turn this into a political issue

i know. It's just that when we put our heads together as one team, we seem to do better. :) Except in the recent rugby tour... Which i don't like to talk about. :( It's more a case of me wanting to be able to participate, while not having an Irish passport and not wanting to go to the bother of getting one!

and I never knew about the pre dating partition bit. I just though Rugby players and golfers were slightly more civilised. :p

i could give a f*@k about politics or borders...we're all from a very small blue planet flying around an ordinary star...but anyway

colin there's a lot of comps on all over the place. are you competing in every competition and really that excited to compete in this one particular comp...or is the drama of it all more interesting?

this is just one comp where we ask for the passport to find the 'irish' champion. in theory anybody from england could come over and compete in it if we left it open to british passports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

Just wondering. Everyone's passport shows the town / city of birth. Someone from the North with a British passport could easily be distingushed from someone from England / Scotland / Wales this way. Would that work?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_passport#Information_page

this is a tournament for the island of ireland. its supposed to give irish people a chance become the no.1 irish person...not competing against polish, brazilians or english etc

if the passport shows you are from the island of ireland then all good. so if you're british passport shows you're from northern ireland then you can compete. im sure everybody will be relieved to hear that and those people so concerned about competing in this one tournament can start their training regime for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

I see a lot of oul nonsense being dragged up here.In fairness I was able to laugh off the comments about 'nordies' etc on the thread about grapplers but it's getting abit regular from my point of view.
    The british passports used in the north clearly state britain and Northern Ireland....now to correct a few issues,great britain consists of england,scotland and wales....not any part of Ireland.We in the north are part of the united kingdom.......not britain......so...that makes us Irish whether you profess alegience to england or not.
    A lot of us in the north are very very proud of our Irish heritage and thats not a political thing,it's just a fact.

can i ask an annoying question?

what if your irish but dont have a passport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Could Scottish lads compete at an english closed event by virtue that they are beside each other?

Who cares lads, its one tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭TEAM RYANO

This is not the first time we have done this
    A few years back we had trials for the fila championships
    So what's the big deal
    The way bjj is going we need to have national
    Champions .
    No body is twisting peoples arms to compete
    Or not to compete

The key issue here is whether the IBJJA is an All-Ireland or just a southern organisation. Has this been decided? It's not really nit-picking, it's a quite fundamental aspect of the organisation.

If its an All-Ireland organisation then a UK passport/driving Licence with NI as place of residence or accompanying bank statement or similar should be acceptable. If its the latter, then it should require an Irish passport/driving licence/accent.

Personally, I think it should be an All-Ireland organisation.

There is a weirdness about this in Irish judo. There are two organisations on the island, but some clubs in the north affiliate with the Irish judo association.

I think the only way to resolve this is to have a split in the association. Who's with me? You guys are called what, the IBJJA, well we'll be the ABJJI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

One presumes the aim of this competition is to find the best people at every weight/grade that are eligible to compete for this country in an international setting. Thus that includes people born in Northern Ireland who are entitled to do this should they wish to. For every Olympic sport I'm aware of, anyone in Northern Ireland can represent Ireland in the games and those sports respective world championships. From time to time, you get a Northern Irish Guy competing for Ireland in the Olympics and NI in the Commonwealth games but that's neither here nor there. This is a non-issue and I don't think it's already been blown out of proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭David Jones

The Judean Peoples Liberation Front??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

The Judean Peoples Liberation Front??:rolleyes:

F^ck off! We're the People's Front of Judea

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭weemate

The key issue here is whether the IBJJA is an All-Ireland or just a southern organisation. Has this been decided? It's not really nit-picking, it's a quite fundamental aspect of the organisation.

If its an All-Ireland organisation then a UK passport/driving Licence with NI as place of residence or accompanying bank statement or similar should be acceptable. If its the latter, then it should require an Irish passport/driving licence/accent.

Personally, I think it should be an All-Ireland organisation.

There is a weirdness about this in Irish judo. There are two organisations on the island, but some clubs in the north affiliate with the Irish judo association.
    its apparently an all Ireland grouping as I am supposed to represent Ulster on the committee.A better way to solve the issue ,if you still wanted a closed tournament ,would be to have it for member clubs of the association.Or,when statements such as Irish 'closed' championships are advertised,then the entry requirements should be better described.
    This is not being political regardless of what some people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

Look, it's a closed tournament for competitors who are citizens of the island of Ireland (ROI or NI). Mirroring what's happening internationally on the BJJ scene. End of.
    It was done before with FILA and there were no problems.
    The more comps that can be organised the better, I hope everyone who had concerns will compete.

Can people from the Aran Islands enter?

• Advertisement

No.

Why are people still asking questions that have been answered in post #18?

Can someone do a sticky thingy with all the comps on it?
    I'd suggest that the Euros and the big 3 from across the water (British, English, & British Nogi) are added as well.

what about the grandparent rule?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    Can someone do a sticky thingy with all the comps on it?
    I'd suggest that the Euros and the big 3 from across the water (British, English, & British Nogi) are added as well.

Been tried and tested, some user's threw a wobbler and simply refused to post in the thread. In the end it just wasn't worth the trouble, but thanks for the suggestion all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Inìs Boffin Top Team won't be happy about this.

• Advertisement

Been tried and tested, some user's threw a wobbler and simply refused to post in the thread. In the end it just wasn't worth the trouble, but thanks for the suggestion all the same.

Only talking about a 2011 calender with all the Irish BJJ/Nogi comps on it, as a sticky. Similar to the British one on the EFNSPORTS forum.
    I've counted 12 Irish comps so far for next year, so it would be handy to have all of these on a calendar as a sticky on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

Many thanks to JK and Andy for putting on the Irish Closed.

Personally I'm delighted the Irish Closed has come to be and doubly delighted you must hold an Irish passport to compete.

It gives you an oppurtunity to go out, put your two feet on the mat, beat all your opposition and come away saying I am the number one Irish BJJ player for the year 2011.

They don't even do this in Judo and it's a f*****g disgrace. I remember a few years ago I fought in the Irish Closed, beat all the Irish lads I fought and in the final had to fight a Brazilian national. This wasn't an open tournament like the Irish Open or Leinster Open where I'd glady fight anyone of any nationality but the Irish Closed, the comp that was supposedly used to determine who the number ones were in each weight class for the upcoming international season. Me and my Dad didn't complain or say anything and I fought him anyway, he beat me fair and square (for the record he's a gent and a fantastic grappler) but there's no way he should have been allowed compete in this particular comp, I thought it was disgraceful and a complete disrespect and insult to the national championships. It wouldnt happen in any other country.

I am f*****g delighted I get an oppurtunity to fight every Irish blue belt that decides to compete on the day in a tournament that if you win at the end of it you get to say "I'm number one in the country for my weight and belt 2011" and no one can take it away from you as long as you live.

I don't know about the people reading this but that means a lot to me and I will be more highly motivated for the Irish Closed than any other BJJ tournament next year.

Can't wait to fight in it.

Once again JK and Andy thanks for the opportunity :)

lukeyjudo wrote: »
    Many thanks to JK and Andy for putting on the Irish Closed.

Personally I'm delighted the Irish Closed has come to be and doubly delighted you must hold an Irish passport to compete.

It gives you an oppurtunity to go out, put your two feet on the mat, beat all your opposition and come away saying I am the number one Irish BJJ player for the year 2011.

They don't even do this in Judo and it's a f*****g disgrace. I remember a few years ago I fought in the Irish Closed, beat all the Irish lads I fought and in the final had to fight a Brazilian national. This wasn't an open tournament like the Irish Open or Leinster Open where I'd glady fight anyone of any nationality but the Irish Closed, the comp that was supposedly used to determine who the number ones were in each weight class for the upcoming international season. Me and my Dad didn't complain or say anything and I fought him anyway, he beat me fair and square (for the record he's a gent and a fantastic grappler) but there's no way he should have been allowed compete in this particular comp, I thought it was disgraceful and a complete disrespect and insult to the national championships. It wouldnt happen in any other country.

I am f*****g delighted I get an oppurtunity to fight every Irish blue belt that decides to compete on the day in a tournament that if you win at the end of it you get to say "I'm number one in the country for my weight and belt 2011" and no one can take it away from you as long as you live.

I don't know about the people reading this but that means a lot to me and I will be more highly motivated for the Irish Closed than any other BJJ tournament next year.

Can't wait to fight in it.

Once again JK and Andy thanks for the opportunity :)

Going off to see if I can rustle up some blue body paint and a Claymore for you Luke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Only talking about a 2011 calender with all the Irish BJJ/Nogi comps on it, as a sticky. Similar to the British one on the EFNSPORTS forum.
    I've counted 12 Irish comps so far for next year, so it would be handy to have all of these on a calendar as a sticky on this forum.

Its something I'm defo interested in. I've sent you a PM for discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭lukeyjudo

COVERED in blue paint I am.

I like the claymores style of fighting... Front towards enemy. Explode.

• Advertisement

Inspired by the calender over on the mma forum ive had a go at making one.

If you fill out this form:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?authkey=CIrbzdYO&hl=en_GB&formkey=dDRkZTlxVFJHV3J3WFVzX2VqeVBacEE6MQ#gid=1

It will automatically add your event to the list here:
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AmZH_lY48c24dDRkZTlxVFJHV3J3WFVzX2VqeVBacEE&hl=en_GB&single=true&gid=1&output=html&gridlines=false

What do ye guys think?
    I put in a few examples to see what it would look like.

Niall0 wrote: »

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?authkey=CIrbzdYO&hl=en_GB&formkey=dDRkZTlxVFJHV3J3WFVzX2VqeVBacEE6MQ#gid=1

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AmZH_lY48c24dDRkZTlxVFJHV3J3WFVzX2VqeVBacEE&hl=en_GB&single=true&gid=1&output=html&gridlines=false

What do ye guys think?
    can anyone compete in the example BJJ event or do you need to be from Ireland.

Thanks,
    Barry

Seriously, I think people are getting their knickers in a twist over nothing. Nobody is trying to offend anyone they're just trying to put on a tournament that only Irish people can do. Same way as the British, French etc do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

r_obric wrote: »
    what about the grandparent rule?

As far as I know, grandparents are welcome to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DavidPhelan

What do ye guys think?

That looks good, would be so convenient to have this set up so people could plan holidays, training around events well in advance!

SanoVitae wrote: »
    As far as I know, grandparents are welcome to compete.

nice one,

What do ye guys think?

Perfect.

What do ye guys think?
    Ive cleared the examples now, if ye want to use it work away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Finian123

is there teen sections in any off these comps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

I would imagine if there's enough teens they would, but there's never enough teens competing. A good few teenagers competed in the Irish open in the adults. Adam Carroll from SBG even won his White belt division (he got his blue before Xmas).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Finian123

I would imagine if there's enough teens they would, but there's never enough teens competing. A good few teenagers competed in the Irish open in the adults. Adam Carroll from SBG even won his White belt division (he got his blue before Xmas).
    its a shame that there isnt enough teens competing. i was there but when i was told there was no teen division i just forgot about competing if i was thinking i would have entered that.
    it was good to watch to.
    i trained with Adam in sbg in dublin he is clazz. must get up again soon.
    please pass on my congratz to him for getting his blue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement