Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick translation?

• 08-12-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Can anyone give me the correct English translation of
    "Assaporare la bella vita"

Something I want to add to a tattoo but I want to make 100% sure of the translation. I've done research but I know Google translator is awful!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

"Live life to the full" is the best i can get with my limited italian.Could be the italian version of "carpe diem"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭daigo75

Iron Hide, your sentence, in Italian, would become "vivere appieno la vita", o "vivere pienamente la vita".

Inmyownworld, your sentence could be translated as "enjoy the great life". The adjective "bella" has many different meanings, althought they're related. "Bella vita" means "enjoyable/nice/great/easy life", i.e. a life where you have little to worry about, no stress and so on.

The verb "Assaporare" means, literally, "to taste" but, obviously, in that sentence it's a metaphor, thus "Enjoy" is more appropriate.

Hope it helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

It does indeed mean "To taste the beautiful life" But as has been mentioned above the context is important. Where did you hear it and why are you considering getting a tattoo that you are not sure of the meaning? I know a Welsh guy who got a Japanese symbol to illustrate "Dragon" and many years later on a trip to Japan found out it actually meant "Turtle":eek:. All I am saying is Fai Attenzione, be careful:)

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

Yeah, I've heard horror stories about Chinese symbols and the likes! I had wanted something along the lines of enjoy/savour the beauty of life or the beautiful life. I had heard of the translation of la bella vita being either beautiful/good life.However good/easy is not so much what I'm after!

Back to the drawing board I guess!
    And as for it being similar to Carpe Diem, I already have that as a tattoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Get something in Irish!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement