Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Visa USA

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thesmalloak

Corrimbla, to clarify a few things.

Yes loosing the passport was my own fault, I merely remarked on how they treated me when I informed them of this. I informed them because I felt it was appropriate to do so, not asking for their help. Hands up how many other adults, professionals and seasoned travelers loose their passports? It is a stressful thing to happen and doesn't deserve a condescending tone.

As I said, the rule about 25 employees/$3million dollars was not in any of the paper work, terms and conditions, guidelines I was provided with prior to signing up. This I am certain of, having re-read every document AGAIN since in search of this rule.

The start date I chose was the latest start date I could choose as it had to be within 12months of graduating. As I said I had personal, professional and contractual obligations. I acknowledge this was not the most efficient way of doing it, but it was my only option. I merely commented on misinformation provided which lead to a wasted flight fair and the negaitive tone of communication when I informed them of my return.

And as regard your comment about wanting to get spoon fed jobs. That is unfair. I worked extremely hard to find work. I conducted interviews in five states and was applying for positions everyday for months before my start date. I did not expect anybody to get a job for me I just remarked how even their own staff would INSIST on one rule and then provide me with job descriptions that directly violated the rules they were so careful to enforce.

Believe me I have acknowledged my own failures too. I never blamed them for not finding work. This post was simply to inform others of my experience. Anyone interested in this thread have graduated from degrees and masters and worked very hard to be where they are. I apologize if my post sounded like I was crying to mommy, I intended it to highlight an over all negative and unsupported experience, not to blame somebody else. I apologise if you feel my representation is unfair, which i why I have withdrawn my previous statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Guys unt Gals. Just looking for some more info on this. I'm heading back to uni in Sept as a VERY mature student. (36) to do a Grad Dip, and was hoping to move abroad after it for a while.

I would look into this type of visa. It would be a good opportunity to spend some time in the Ssshhhtates.

Is this like an Australian WHV, in that you can only really apply for bar work or the likes?

Would I be able to get a "proper job" with this type of Visa? My background would be languages/online marketing/technical writing/ and will be journalism....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Its actually the other way around. Bar work, or work not associated with your degree, is not allowed. You have to get a proper job in line with what you are studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Good to know. Thanks. Whether it is easy or not to get is another thing....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jesshemp

Hi guys,,, I know you were all chatting about this a few years ago - but....

I am looking for some guidance - I have recently finished studying in college and I am hoping to travel to New York for a year or so in January 2015. I have been in touch with USIT but they aren't being overly flexible with dates and say that I would have to travel before New Years Eve of this year, this just doesn't suit for family reasons so does anybody know of other ways that I can apply for the 12 month Graduate Visa into America??

Any tips big or small would be gratefully appreciated!!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

What is their reason for pushing you to travel before New Years Eve? This sounds a bit strange. Unless it were out of the 1 year from graduation but you say you're just finishing up so I'm assuming you haven't even graduated yet?

Have you reached out to any of the other visa companies to see what they say? Sayit? Intrax Internships? IIIC?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Orla.B

What date is your graduation? If you graduated on 1 May 2014, for example, you have until 30 April 2015 to leave for the US to begin the 1 year. They may be pushing you to leave before the New Year so you take one of this year's allocations of visas. I know last year there was some talk of ending this graduate visa so perhaps it won't be running from 2015 onwards? I would recommend using Go4Less for the visa; out of everyone I've met that went to the States on the graduate visa, those who went with Go4Less seemed to get the least amount of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EmilyDelaney1

The same thing happened to me, USIT came to my college and said I had to fly out on December 31st because this is the last year they are supplying graduate visas (my graduation ceremony is November 2014 so I have until November 2015 to leave).

It's just a marketing ploy to fill up the programme spots. They've said that to people for the past 3 years that the programmes will be discontinued and to book now.... it's not true! They're just creating hype.

I'm looking for information to book the year visa myself and not go through an agency, I've been told there are just tonnes of forms you have to fill out but I'd appreciate any info people might have, please??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

The same thing happened to me, USIT came to my college and said I had to fly out on December 31st because this is the last year they are supplying graduate visas (my graduation ceremony is November 2014 so I have until November 2015 to leave).

It's just a marketing ploy to fill up the programme spots. They've said that to people for the past 3 years that the programmes will be discontinued and to book now.... it's not true! They're just creating hype.

I'm looking for information to book the year visa myself and not go through an agency, I've been told there are just tonnes of forms you have to fill out but I'd appreciate any info people might have, please??

You have to go through an agency. It's mandatory and there are zero ways of getting the graduate visa without doing so. Literally isn't possible, because the agency will be act as your sponsor (no you can't "find your own" sponsor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Its actually the other way around. Bar work, or work not associated with your degree, is not allowed. You have to get a proper job in line with what you are studying.

I am also hoping to travel to the US over the next few months on a 12 month graduate working visa (I'm 35).
    I have years of experience plus a graduate qualification but I'm wondering if anyone can advise can you expect to attain a relatively decent job, if you look hard enough, or realistically can you only expect success with entry-level/internship type roles. I'd have to re-think the whole thing if that was the case.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

northgirl wrote: »
    I am also hoping to travel to the US over the next few months on a 12 month graduate working visa (I'm 35).
    I have years of experience plus a graduate qualification but I'm wondering if anyone can advise can you expect to attain a relatively decent job, if you look hard enough, or realistically can you only expect success with entry-level/internship type roles. I'd have to re-think the whole thing if that was the case.

Thanks in advance.

Realistically it's the latter, it's to help kids out of school get experience in the US, not to help experienced professionals get well paying jobs. Your employer (I believe) has to complete a training program for you, to prove that you're not just saying its an internship type gig.

It's also against the rules of the visa to work part time bar jobs (for example) if you get an unpaid internship. They have and do kick people out over visa violations.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    Realistically it's the latter, it's to help kids out of school get experience in the US, not to help experienced professionals get well paying jobs. Your employer (I believe) has to complete a training program for you, to prove that you're not just saying its an internship type gig.

It's also against the rules of the visa to work part time bar jobs (for example) if you get an unpaid internship. They have and do kick people out over visa violations.

If it's open to all ages then why is it restricted to "kids out of school get experience in the US"?

I'm looking to gain additional experience in my field to improve my career prospects in general.

If it's open to all ages then why is it restricted to "kids out of school get experience in the US"?

I'm looking to gain additional experience in my field to improve my career prospects in general.

I suppose because they figure that people older than that wouldn't need a graduate training visa? Most people don't need to gain internship style experience by that point (from what you say, neither do you).

Anyway yeah for sure go for it, but it has to be an internship really, some people have managed to style an entry level job into an internship type gig to fill in the paperwork with, but it'd be difficult to do that if you were on decent money? Also I believe the visa companies are fairly rigorous with making sure people stay strictly within the terms of the visa.

jaymcg91 wrote: »
    I suppose because they figure that people older than that wouldn't need a graduate training visa? Most people don't need to gain internship style experience by that point (from what you say, neither do you).

Anyway yeah for sure go for it, but it has to be an internship really, some people have managed to style an entry level job into an internship type gig to fill in the paperwork with, but it'd be difficult to do that if you were on decent money? Also I believe the visa companies are fairly rigorous with making sure people stay strictly within the terms of the visa.

It's not an internship visa which is different. It's a graduate working visa to gain experience and my application would be well within the terms of the visa.

It's not an internship visa which is different. It's a graduate working visa to gain experience and my application would be well within the terms of the visa.
    Does the position in the US have to be an Internship placement?
    Yes, your placement in the US must be an Internship. It cannot be replacing American workers or filling a general labour need. Below are some things you need to keep in mind when you secure a position in the US:
    1. The position is related to your field of study - i.e. what you studied in college.
    2. The training you will receive in your position is progressive - i.e. you will clearly be developing your skills and knowledge.
    3. You will receive constant supervision and be regularly evaluated by your company throughout your Internship.
    4. Your company will cover you under their Workers Compensation Insurance Policy.
    5. The company has a business premises (i.e. no home office internship allowed), company website, and Tax Id. Number.
    6. There must be a ratio of at least 5 full-time employees to 1 Intern.
    If your position fulfills all of the above, CIEE, your US Sponsor will be able to vett the position. Once CIEE approve the Internship placement, you may begin work.

http://www.usavisa.ie/1-year-graduate-visa/faqs

That is for the Graduate Visa. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sarah.abd

Hi guys, thank you so much for this forum, very informative, i am doing my master at the moment in civil engineering and I do meet all the requirement for the graduate visa to the state, I want to go in January 2016 and i contacted several visa sponsors companies, so i understand the procedures, I started to look for internships now, I know its early but it seems difficult to get one. How did u guys manage? did you have to get an internship before leaving to the states? was it difficult to find one while you are there? ANY tips will help please im so confused.
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alee251

Hi just have a question regarding the 1 year graduate visa. I am completing a degree in Construction Management and just wondering has anyone in this industry used the graduate visa? Willing to travel anywhere really but just worried about getting a decent paying job that complies with the visa requirements.
    Anyone in this field? Any tips on where to look for internships. Any advice would be really helpful

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Grayce23

alee251 wrote: »
    Hi just have a question regarding the 1 year graduate visa. I am completing a degree in Construction Management and just wondering has anyone in this industry used the graduate visa? Willing to travel anywhere really but just worried about getting a decent paying job that complies with the visa requirements.
    Anyone in this field? Any tips on where to look for internships. Any advice would be really helpful

Thanks in advance

If you're in the area of construction, look at nashville, there seems to be quite a building boom going on there so most likely a few options in construction! Or I know Vegas is always building more and more properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 alee251

Grayce23 wrote: »
    If you're in the area of construction, look at nashville, there seems to be quite a building boom going on there so most likely a few options in construction! Or I know Vegas is always building more and more properties.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure if I'm going go to be honest. It seems very strict for the job type. Think I might apply to companies from here and see if I get any responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Hi all,

How strict is the requirement to work in a field related to your degree? Does it make a difference if you go on the intern visa or the training visa? /QUOTE]

Hoping it's alright to post in this thread, but I basically have the same question as this (and it doesn't seem to have been answered yet...). Even if it's the most tenuous of links between your internship and your degree can it still work? Does anyone have any examples of what they did?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

Hi sorry for change of topic but is a level 7 degree enough to get your foot in the door in some company's in the USA or do company's look for a higher degree also is it possible to get sponsorship with a level 7 degree if you got something sorted by the end of your year visa ? I've tried to google all this but can't find anything.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 46 El Burro Juicioso

Hi all,

How strict is the requirement to work in a field related to your degree? Does it make a difference if you go on the intern visa or the training visa? /QUOTE]

Hoping it's alright to post in this thread, but I basically have the same question as this (and it doesn't seem to have been answered yet...). Even if it's the most tenuous of links between your internship and your degree can it still work? Does anyone have any examples of what they did?

I had the same question when I was doing my J1... I mean, in reality if you are going to get a job it's going to be in something at least related to your field. It's not like you are going to be computer programming and find a job in veterinary. So if you can swing yourself a job, you are probably doing something related.
    They have to fill out some forms to report to the department of labour, so when they are doing that they themselves will probably adjust it for you. I think it would be very rare that you couldn't talk up some part of your work into matching your field.
    Hi sorry for change of topic but is a level 7 degree enough to get your foot in the door in some company's in the USA or do company's look for a higher degree also is it possible to get sponsorship with a level 7 degree if you got something sorted by the end of your year visa ? I've tried to google all this but can't find anything.

Thanks

Yes, I'm pretty sure level 7 is ok - the usit blog states so in their eligibility section: blog.usit.ie/2014/12/05 /1-year-usa-graduate-programme-2015-an-update/

The thing is, you will be competing against people in your field, for a job in the US, where you can only work for one year, they are students from known universities, may have better qualifications etc etc. However, I wouldn't let that dissuade you from giving it a go per se, just be very aware that the possibility of coming home with the tail between the legs (not to mention poorer) exists.

Worth pointing out to people doing this J1 visas as a path to contacts etc... The H1-B application is April, start in October at the earliest. So you need to really be over there working at the end of September to a) give yourself a chance to prove to the company that you are worth the cost of a visa before April 1st (really by the start of March) and b) have your work lined up so that once your J1 is finishing your H1-B will kick in. It sure ain't easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 heidi7

Hi Northgirl, I know this is a few years ago. Did you manage to work your way around the internship? I'm also a mature student with post-graduate degrees hoping to work in the states on a 'graduate level' job instead of an internship.

Do you have any advice?

heidi7 wrote: »
    Hi Northgirl, I know this is a few years ago. Did you manage to work your way around the internship? I'm also a mature student with post-graduate degrees hoping to work in the states on a 'graduate level' job instead of an internship.

Do you have any advice?

Hi there,

Unfortunately no as I didn't pursue it.

Good luck with it.

Advertisement