Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

constant upc disconnects

• 08-12-2010 4:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I've been getting disconnected constantly from the internet. My connection goes down like 10-15 times a day, it only stays down for maybe 20 seconds and reconnects, but it's incredibly annoying if you're downloading something via HTTP or in the middle of a killing streak in CoD:BLOPS.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting this? It's not new, though. It has been like this for weeks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Hi,

I've been getting disconnected constantly from the internet. My connection goes down like 10-15 times a day, it only stays down for maybe 20 seconds and reconnects, but it's incredibly annoying if you're downloading something via HTTP or in the middle of a killing streak in CoD:BLOPS.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is getting this? It's not new, though. It has been like this for weeks.

What did UPC say when you informed them?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jesmed

Hi,

Yeah i get a bit of that sh**e too. Very annoying cos i have to reset me router everytime. UPC reckon my pc is ropey cos it aint them !!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

UPC working great for me :confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Steodonn wrote: »
    UPC working great for me :confused:

That is of really great assistance to the op!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi,

Are you using wireless or direct cable connection connection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

dub45 wrote: »
    Are you using wireless or direct cable connection connection?
    indeed, question no.1. :)

question 2 is what did UPC say when you told them? ;)

when it goes down, have a look at the lights on your modem/router. they are there to tell you what's going on, so if can make a note of any changes in the lights it will help UPC in the first steps troubleshooting the issue.

the other thing to try is to reboot your PC and then plug out the power on the modem/router for a minute and the plug it back in and watch the light sequence as they come on, making a note of how long it takes for each light to appear. the reboot thing is the first thing that 1st line will ask you to do, so you're just skipping a step and saving time.

have all this info written down when you call UPC and you'll save yourself some troubleshooting time when you call them. :)

this will take care of the 1st line support anyway, but ask to be transferred instead of getting a callback as it *can be* a little touch and go on whether or not anyone will actually call you back from time to time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jesmed

vibe666 wrote: »
    indeed, question no.1. :)

question 2 is what did UPC say when you told them? ;)

when it goes down, have a look at the lights on your modem/router. they are there to tell you what's going on, so if can make a note of any changes in the lights it will help UPC in the first steps troubleshooting the issue.

the other thing to try is to reboot your PC and then plug out the power on the modem/router for a minute and the plug it back in and watch the light sequence as they come on, making a note of how long it takes for each light to appear. the reboot thing is the first thing that 1st line will ask you to do, so you're just skipping a step and saving time.
    have all this info written down when you call UPC and you'll save yourself some troubleshooting time when you call them. :)

this will take care of the 1st line support anyway, but ask to be transferred instead of getting a callback as it *can be* a little touch and go on whether or not anyone will actually call you back from time to time. :)

Hi and thanks for your helpful reply. My pc(laptop) is wirelessly connected to a router which is connected with a cable to a modem. When the connection drops the little blue internet light(small planet earth) turns yellow on the router. The bottom green light on the modem flashes. This indicates that the signal has been lost. My ps3 and xbox are also connected to this router. Xbox is has a cable to router, the ps3 is wireless.My girlfriend also connects her laptop wirelessly.
    When gaming i get a message on screen saying no connection and a little picture of a plug and cable flashes onscreen and the laptop "cannot find the page you were looking for" or such like.

It has been a few months since i rang upc but, when i did, i was told : sorry but there has been no reports of issues in your area. Could you please check your equipment again. So i did and there was nowt wrong. When i power off and back on again....hey presto!! Its working again.
    I'm actually gonna ring them today, cos i have othing to do this afternoon.
    The modem is nearly 5 years old and i'd actually like a new one.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

definitely a modem issue by the sounds of it.

word of warning though, if you get it replaced, make sure you tell them you only want a standalone modem (scientific atlanta 2203) and use your existing router as the new all in one (cisco epc 2425) they are giving out to people these days is terrible.

just do a search for epc 2425 and you'll see what i mean.

i'm assuming you already have your own router as you said your upc modem is 5 years old and you mentioned that you do already have wireless. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭jd6677

I have a similar issue at least once or twice a day and have been speaking to UPC about it numerous times and nothing has been sorted.
    If you are using the version of the cable modem without wireless(Scientific Atlanta EPC2203) you should have a look at the logs.
    To view the logs on the cable modem browse to:

http://192.168.100.1/_aslvl.asp

Username: admin
    Password: W2402

On the next screen click the dropdown beside "Access Level" and select Access Level 3. Leave the username blank and fill in the password ( use the one above). Then click the submit button.
    9qyyj8.jpg
    This will bring you to another page. It should say "Set Sucess" with two links. Click "return to Main Page" and it will bring you to the main Scientific Atlanta index page.
    ngzfyq.jpg

Click on the Log tab at the top of the screen to view the logs.
    2mmfwvc.jpg

This might give you more information on what might be happening around the time of the modem resets. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Password doesn't work for me, but my UPC has been terrible for the last 3 days, up and down over and over again all day. Right now it says it's connected, but its taking forever to load pages, and then it stops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Password doesn't work for me, but my UPC has been terrible for the last 3 days, up and down over and over again all day. Right now it says it's connected, but its taking forever to load pages, and then it stops.

I`m having similar problems - internet was down all weekend, but before that it was constantly disconnecting (every 5 - 10 mins). Came back on on monday and since then has been relatively stable BUT the Download speed has been as low as 0.70 mbps and as high as 8.2 mbps (using UPC`s own speedtest). I should have 30mbs..

Called UPC last thursday and was informed there was a fault in the area that they were working on......

Called them one hour ago and I was informed over the phone that there was indeed a problem that they could see from their side with my connection speed and that a service engineer will be out saturday morning. I will be also discussing with the engineer why my performance drops when i`m using multiple devices on my network. (I have the Cisco modem router)
    I will also discuss how I can add a wireless N router to my network as I believe there are obstacles in the way to this too.

I will also be calling their accounts dept. in the morning to discuss how much they WILL be taking off my bill this month;)

I`ve been with UPC since august and so far i`m not impressed by the performance....

Advertisement