Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting agent inspection - can they do this?

Options
  • 08-12-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

We have an inspection by the letting agent on fri morning regardless on if we're there or not. I thought they can't come in if we're not there surely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Usuallly the landlord/agent arranges a time convenient to both parties for an inspection.

If you don't give them permission to enter the apartment/house, then they are not permitted to do so, regardless of what they might say.

If it doesn't suit you or your housemates, then just tell them so and try organise an alternative day/time with them.

If you're still worried then contact Threshold or Citizens' Advice so that you have some concrete advice to mention when talking to the agent. There should be some information regarding this on their websites, as well as on prtb.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

From threshold.ie:
    As a tenant you are entitled to quiet and peaceful enjoyment of your home. Your landlord is only allowed enter with your permission. If the landlord needs to carry out repairs or inspect the premises, it should be by prior arrangement with you. If the property is put up for sale, ask the landlord to agree viewing times with you. If your landlord repeatedly enters your flat without your permission contact Threshold for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

We have an inspection by the letting agent on fri morning regardless on if we're there or not. I thought they can't come in if we're not there surely?

Similar situation happened to me a few years back. Agents need to be reminded of tenants rights and the law from time to time. I had to kick up an almighty fuss to sort it out. Landlord was very decent about it. Problem was agent who he ended up having to get rid of over this and another further problem. I even went so far as locking all the internal doors as you can't legally change external locks and they do have a key to those but generally not to internal doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Thanks, there will be someone there but I just wanted to know my rights on this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Baralis1

convert wrote: »
    Usuallly the landlord/agent arranges a time convenient to both parties for an inspection.

If you don't give them permission to enter the apartment/house, then they are not permitted to do so, regardless of what they might say.

If it doesn't suit you or your housemates, then just tell them so and try organise an alternative day/time with them.

If you're still worried then contact Threshold or Citizens' Advice so that you have some concrete advice to mention when talking to the agent. There should be some information regarding this on their websites, as well as on prtb.ie

+1 The agent has absolutely no right to enter the property without your permission, no matter what notice they give.

• Advertisement
Advertisement