Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser card, Visa Debit for 13 year old

Options
  • 08-12-2010 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    Some advice please
    My niece is in boarding school and recently ran out of money as she didn't get home at the weekend because of the snow. We ended up having to post her €20 cash. Not the best way to manage things. Does anyone have an idea of what would be the best way for her to be able to access a banklink. I don't think those prepaid credit cards work in banklinks and the charges are very high too. Can we open her a bank account? Is this a good idea anyway? Also I think they are phasing out laser in Ireland and moving over to Visa Debit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Have the schools stopped holding money for the kids, and dishing it out upon request

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

She can have a bank account and an ATM card.

She can get a laser/debit card with parental/guardian approval, but there is stamp duty on it, which is obviously a consideration for a child. She wouldn't really need a laser/debit card for the purchases she'd be making. An ATM card would be sufficient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

An under 18's account won't have Laser/Visa Debit attached but they will get an ATM card which she can use to withdraw money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Does she have access to an atm?
    Back in my boarding school days only 4rth years up were ever allowed of school grounds.
    Does the school have a mini bank or anyhting on those lines?
    Ours was run by 4rth years and we could take money out once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Giver her a few blank cheques to tide her over..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I don't know if the school will hold money, they probably do though, I hadn't thought of it. Will check as she wouldn't be near an ATM that often.

Advertisement