Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hooking up surround sound

• 08-12-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I need help getting our surround sound speakers working, and I have to do it myself as I can't afford to pay to get it done :(

The way it is set up at the moment is that we have 5 wires coming into the living room, each wire is pared back and then the copper wire is joined to a connecter, where it looks like you can then join up more copper wire the other side :confused: (electronics & me do not get on, obviously!)

There are 4 speakers placed in high up in each corner of the room.

What do I need to get this done? Would love to be able to get it hooked up for christmas and surprise the wife.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭p15574

I don't know a whole lot about it, but are you sure they're speaker cables? I would expect 4 sets of double cable (ie for positive and negative) coming from each speaker, probably grey. The cables in the picture look more like telephone or network cables. Whatever about that, to connect the speakers up, you'd need something to connect it to that would also power the speakers - something like an AV Receiver or an all-in-one DVD/home theatre box. The cable from each speaker would then connect to a separate terminal on the box box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

p15574 wrote: »
    I don't know a whole lot about it, but are you sure they're speaker cables? I would expect 4 sets of double cable (ie for positive and negative) coming from each speaker, probably grey. The cables in the picture look more like telephone or network cables. Whatever about that, to connect the speakers up, you'd need something to connect it to that would also power the speakers - something like an AV Receiver or an all-in-one DVD/home theatre box. The cable from each speaker would then connect to a separate terminal on the box box.

thanks p15574. I have been reliably informed that they are indeed speaker cables by the landlord. He is a bit more tech savvy than me, and had a do-it-yourself set up going on, and he said that those wires connected to something (:confused:) that got the thing working,probably an AV receiver that you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

We're currently using one of these http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&sub=24&productid=1014 it's the business, if you're looking for a cost free install, I think you may be SOL. You're going to need at least a DVD player which will take the connections and has a amp built in, normally these come with their own speakers though. What may be worth a look is donedeal.ie and search for av recievers, once you have the equiptment you should be able to find the manual online - it's not the easiest to wire, but it does make sense once you know what you want from it.

Advertisement