Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Management Company Clamping

• 08-12-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭

I live in a large Multi Unit Development and have a management company. Up till now parking has been a free for all with a few problems. But now Management Company are introducing clamping, and we have to register our cars with clamping company, we have to provide proof of residency and proof of ownership of car. If we want visitors to park we have to text visitors registration number at a cost of 60c per text (for 12 hours parking). Has anyone any experience of this text charge for visitors.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if the management company are to introduce clamping - there must have been a meeting of the management committee and/or landlords and a decision must have been made - it usually takes a number of weeks/months before a system is implemented.

As regards the fee for texting - you could always make the guest text - I'm sure they wont mind paying 60c for 12hours of parking.....why not bring the matter up with the mangement company - have you tried asking the management company why they are charging 60cent for a premium service text ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

Just got leaflet yesterday, I have been trying to phone them today, but no answer. They will only issue permits to anyone who is up to date with their management fees. I pity anyone who have not paid for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

They will only issue permits to anyone who is up to date with their management fees. I pity anyone who have not paid for years.

It's a great way to bring in outstanding fees, and tends to work well. :D We did similar.

It's not the management company/agent that runs the premium text line, it's the private clamping company.

What you have outlined isn't that unusual.

Normally, such decisions are made at the company AGM, and voted in by members. I assume you didn't attend the AGM, or you are only a tenant and not a unit owner?

If you are a tenant, then you need to take your issues to your landlord. If you are a unit owner, then you should have attended the AGM.

We own our house and as far as I am aware there has not been an AGM since April 2009 (which I attended and would always attend. We got new Management Agents early 2010 and never heard anything about an AGM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Contact the management agents and ask for a copy of the minutes of the last AGM. The management company is required to hold an AGM a minimum of every 15 months, and you should have been informed of this in writing at least 30 days (I think) beforehand.

If they have not held an AGM, then they have likely not filed an annual return either. You can do a company search on www.cro.ie to see if they have.

If an annual return for 2009 exists, then you probably missed the AGM somehow. You would still be entitled to a copy of the minutes from this AGM.

The legality of private clamping is in dispute, however it is a good deterrant if parking is an issue in the development.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

We have recently starting costing and pricing a similar scheme [after unanimous decision at AGM] - as we are a small development, with very few parking spaces and have a large problem with people stealing parking spaces...

cant come in quick enough imho

Its just like voting in the coming election in Jan, if you did not attend [or did not/dont vote, in election context] you are not entitled to have an opinion IMHO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

In our development that means only 2 owners (out of 81) have a right to have any say in things cos that's all that turned up at our AGM this week. Luckily our quorum is 2 so we were able to pass the accounts etc, the place is in generally good nick.

As regards clamping, we haven't looked back since we brought it in a few years ago. We had a problem with people parking in our spaces since the hospital brought in paid parking, that was solved very quickly ;)

To bring in Clamping would the residents have to vote at an AGM. Can they bring in clamping without residents voting on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

My development implemented this solution in the past month. It's a small development (by Dublin standards) with just 5 visitor parkings spaces. But rather than the spaces actually being available for genuine visitors they were being continiously occupied by residents who treated them as their second/third parking space.

Other residents were parking on double yellows and in the turning area making it hard for some residents to move in and out of their parking bays.

Early days yet and I think the clamping company has shown lenience on the parking given the current weather (car park is like a skating rink) but will be interesting to see how it works out.

Oh and the clamping only went ahead after requests from the Mgt Company and Agent for people to park legally and was approved via vote at AGM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

To bring in Clamping would the residents have to vote at an AGM. Can they bring in clamping without residents voting on this

The owners attend the AGM, not the residents. But yes, they'd need to vote on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It depends on what it says in the development leases but in most cases the owners would have to vote on it at the AGM. Residents who are not owners do not get a say.

There hasnt been an AGM since April 2009. I dont know much about Management Companies but I know they have to have an AGM at least every 15 months. We had a change of Management Agents in Feb 2010 so I dont know if this affects the 15 month rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

I know some places have a vote as a courtesy but I doubt it's required. The shareholders elect the directors to represent themselves and run the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

markpb wrote: »
    I know some places have a vote as a courtesy but I doubt it's required. The shareholders elect the directors to represent themselves and run the company.

in the best interests of the shareholders. hard to argue clamping is in their interest unless they are requesting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

in the best interests of the shareholders. hard to argue clamping is in their interest unless they are requesting it.

If it means they can park in their assigned spaces, walk on footpaths, that emergency services won't be blocked from access - all those things are in their interest and they're the typical reasons why clamping is introduced. If it's being done for revenue protection, that's also in their interests because it encourages everyone to pay.

Advertisement