Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of negative press on Limerick city

• 08-12-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Does anyone else find the continuous negative press on Limerick sickening?

I'm not even from Limerick City but lived here long enough to know that it's a nice enough city with decent night life, good education and sports facilities and many other perks.
    I'm quite annoyed that Dublin-centered reporting seems to only focus on the negative aspects. Any recent report/documentary has mostly focused only on crime, poverty, gangland activity (e.g. a recent "Primetime investigates" documentary on Limerick http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1086460) which are things confined to few areas of Limerick.

I can't help but think that these reports are purposely trying to scaremonger and keep prospective investors, students away... Anyone else agree?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im fascinated by this attitude.

The documentary was not about Limerick, but about these "few areas of Limerick", this was perfectly clear.

Every time the situation is highlighted there, it seems people from wider Limerick are on here complaining. Its as if they are more concerned with hiding the situation than with actually doing something about it.

Its the medias JOB to report on this situation, its one of the biggest scandals in Irish society. They will continue to report on it until the political will appears in Limerick to do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Does anyone else find the continuous negative press on Limerick sickening?

I'm not even from Limerick City but lived here long enough to know that it's a nice enough city with decent night life, good education and sports facilities and many other perks.
    I'm quite annoyed that Dublin-centered reporting seems to only focus on the negative aspects. Any recent report/documentary has mostly focused only on crime, poverty, gangland activity (e.g. a recent "Primetime investigates" documentary on Limerick http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1086460) which are things confined to few areas of Limerick.

I can't help but think that these reports are purposely trying to scaremonger and keep prospective investors, students away... Anyone else agree?

Any chain is only as strong as its weakest link!

The cancer of anti-social behaviour and crime is spreading. There are now very few areas unaffected in Limerick and its suroundings as these cretions are relocated at our expence.

It is failure by local and national government. It's something that is very close to a tipping point that may well be impossible to recover from. Yes other cities and towns in this country have problems. But, in Limerick it is much more in your face. The scum are a bigger % of the total population.

Limerick needs a wake up call before its too late. It needs to make life hard for these people. Zero tollerence, and a prision system that they are not happy to be going into. Cut their welfare, take the kids off them and force them to change their ways.

I for one applaud this type of programming for make us aware of how bad parts of our city really are and how many good people are suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

I'm aware that the documentary was supposed to be about these areas. However, did you ever ask yourself why it is these type of topics that are the main focus of most reporting about Limerick. There's plenty of positive things to report about Limerick yet they never get coverage... That isn't a coincidence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I was just talking to a limerick cousin on this the other day(I am a dub)

I was saying this has been happening in Dublin for years.

It does not help when radios interview local lads this morning who took 200 euro out of BOI cash machines yesterday and did not have the money.

[EMAIL="F@#k"]F@#k[/EMAIL] them I dont have it to take from me" was the limerick mans comment...

Your TD'S and councilors and local media should be strung up for unbiased reporting...

Did any of you follow the latest statistics on Limerick??? I have. If you read the Limerick Post and other local newspapers it is pretty clear that gangland crime has decreased immensely since 2007. Antisocial behaviour has increased everywhere simply because of an increase in unemployment and other consequences of the recession. Other cities in Ireland are no different from Limerick in terms of antisocial behaviour. Yet you don't hear of any coverage of Dublin's, Cork's or Galway's poorest areas in Primetime Investigates...

• Advertisement

I'm aware that the documentary was supposed to be about these areas. However, did you ever ask yourself why it is these type of topics that are the main focus of most reporting about Limerick. There's plenty of positive things to report about Limerick yet they never get coverage... That isn't a coincidence!

Are you serious? You think its an anti-Limerick conspiracy?

Society has disintegrated in the middle of a supposed first world country, its a huge story. Where it happens is not relevant. When it happened in Tallaght in the 1970s and 80s it was all over the news, now that the issues have been largely resolved Tallaght is no longer in the news for this stuff.

You need to take your head out of the sand and putting your energy into coming up with solutions, instead of blaming the media for simply reporting facts.

You've missed every Munster match so?

Also I seem to remember a Nationwide programme on the re-opening of the Milk Market and local food and craft producers recently.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a great shot of the strands along the Shannon played during the Angelus a couple of days a week.

The Late Late Show was done in UCH not too long ago, with a fairly positive spin.

Matches from Thomond Park shown on Setanta and Sky Sports, with commentators making positive remarks about Limerick.

Those are three examples of positive spin off the top of my head. It's there if you look for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Typical attitude being expressed in this thread - people can't face up to the problem in their back yard and blame it on some RTE conspiracy.

Limerick gets plenty of positive press - they never shut up about Thomond Park ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

CiaranC wrote: »
    Im fascinated by this attitude.

The documentary was not about Limerick, but about these "few areas of Limerick", this was perfectly clear.

Every time the situation is highlighted there, it seems people from wider Limerick are on here complaining. Its as if they are more concerned with hiding the situation than with actually doing something about it.

Its the medias JOB to report on this situation, its one of the biggest scandals in Irish society. They will continue to report on it until the political will appears in Limerick to do something about it.

Yes i agree, unfortunately the location for the recent prime time program used limerick as an example of disgraceful anti social behavior, primarily because it is so overt in those appalling estates. The behavior witnessed on this program has no place in any society and needs to be routed out immediately. I can not for the life of me why all abandoned houses on these estates are not bulldozed down (including that scumbag MC Carthys previous next door neighbors house), leave these few scumbag families behind in a baron wasteland, cut all and any entitlements and let them rot in the hell they have created!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Twin-go wrote: »
    I for one applaud this type of programming for make us aware of how bad parts of our city really are and how many good people are suffering.

You're right. A lot of good people suffer from this type of behaviour but it happens allover Ireland unfortunately and that should have been reflected in this documentary. I don't see the point of singling out Limerick to report on antisocial behaviour. I think the only reason behind that was to sensationalise the issue and to strengthen the same old message that Limerick is no place to live.

You're right. A lot of good people suffer from this type of behaviour but it happens allover Ireland

It really doesnt.

There's a great shot of the strands along the Shannon played during the Angelus a couple of days a week.

The Late Late Show was done in UCH not too long ago, with a fairly positive spin.

Matches from Thomond Park shown on Setanta and Sky Sports, with commentators making positive remarks about Limerick.

Those are three examples of positive spin off the top of my head. It's there if you look for it.

That's fair enough. My question is why report on issues like antisocial behaviour only in Limerick? It is a national problem! Primetime could have easily decided to cover it in Dublin, Cork and Limerick but they chose not to.

It really doesnt.

That's not true and you know it. Are you telling me that antisocial behaviour only happens in Limerick? Dream on... I've lived in different places allover Ireland and it happens everywhere

You're right. A lot of good people suffer from this type of behaviour but it happens allover Ireland unfortunately and that should have been reflected in this documentary. I don't see the point of singling out Limerick to report on antisocial behaviour. I think the only reason behind that was to sensationalise the issue and to strengthen the same old message that Limerick is no place to live.

No where else are the problems so overt.

Ballymun have an Ikea store. What would happen if you put one in Southill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Limerick city is a great place to live, guess it just depends what area you live in.

The press highlight how criminals are allowed to take over certain parts of the city (how ever tiny) and decent people are living in fear.

People should be allowed to live in peace whatever part of limerick they live in.

The criminals should be locked up in a real prison not a holiday camp.

I know limerick is a great place to live.

But certain parts of limerick decent people some who owned their own houses are to this day bullied by criminals, with no help from no one, brushing it under the carpet does not help anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I reckon a bit of negative press is actually good for Limerick.

This way Limerick has a strong case when it comes to looking for more resources to tackle it's problems, it's keeps pressure on polticians, An Garda Siochana etc. to do something about Limerick crime and social problems.

If everyone buries their heads in the sand and pretends everything is alright they'll just divert Gardai etc. to other towns and cities where they believe it is needed more.

Limerick city is a great place to live, guess it just depends what area you live in.

The press highlight how criminals are allowed to take over certain parts of the city (how ever tiny) and decent people are living in fear.

People should be allowed to live in peace whatever part of limerick they live in.

The criminals should be locked up in a real prison not a holiday camp.

I know limerick is a great place to live.

But certain parts of limerick decent people some who owned their own houses are to this day bullied by criminals, with no help from no one, brushing it under the carpet does not help anyone.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Unfortunately, Limerick is one of the cities with the highest number of council estates in the country - it's hard to get crime under control if there's high levels of poverty, unemployment, social welfare dependence etc.
    Everyone should be able to live in a safe enough area but unfortunately no city is perfect.
    I think people threatening other people in areas like that should not be provided with housing. They clearly don't deserve to be accommodated if they can't live peacefully alongside other residents.

I reckon a bit of negative press is actually good for Limerick.

This way Limerick has a strong case when it comes to looking for more resources to tackle it's problems

Good point.

That's not true and you know it. Are you telling me that antisocial behaviour only happens in Limerick? Dream on... I've lived in different places allover Ireland and it happens everywhere
    You are deluding yourself if you think that what is happening in these parts of Limerick is happening all over Ireland.

• Advertisement

Twin-go wrote: »
    No where else are the problems so overt.

Ballymun have an Ikea store. What would happen if you put one in Southill?

Don't know to be honest - it would create jobs for starters that are badly needed in areas like that... Most of criminal behaviour in those areas comes from people being unemployed and having no prospects.

You are deluding yourself if you think that what is happening in these parts of Limerick is happening all over Ireland.

I know people living in parts of Dublin having to deal with antisocial behaviour on a daily basis. Is that just an exception then?
    I've lived here for many years and have only once come across antisocial behaviour. I really think that it depends on where you live in Limerick.

I know people living in parts of Dublin having to deal with antisocial behaviour on a daily basis. Is that just an exception then?
    I've lived here for many years and have only once come across antisocial behaviour. I really think that it depends on where you live in Limerick.
    So is it happening all over Ireland or in a specific part of Dublin?

Can you point out a specific part of Dublin where the majority, or even any, of the houses are burned out?

Of course there is anti-social behaviour elsewhere, but its a question of scale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Couldn't agree with you more.

Unfortunately, Limerick is one of the cities with the highest number of council estates in the country - it's hard to get crime under control if there's high levels of poverty, unemployment, social welfare dependence etc.
    Everyone should be able to live in a safe enough area but unfortunately no city is perfect.
    I think people threatening other people in areas like that should not be provided with housing. They clearly don't deserve to be accommodated if they can't live peacefully alongside other residents.

Actually it is not one of the highest, Limerick is the city or town in Ireland with by far the highest % of social and council housing. The last set of statistics put it at over 40% of all city houses. That is a staggeringly high % and it is something that local authorities are guilty of allowing to happen.

Limerick is not a bad place, and has the potential in many ways to be a great place, but it has some very serious issues that keep getting put onto the long finger by those in the position to bring about a process of change.

So is it happening all over Ireland or in a specific part of Dublin?

Can you point out a specific part of Dublin where the majority, or even any, of the houses are burned out?

Of course there is anti-social behaviour elsewhere, but its a question of scale.

As mentioned above, the scale of this type of behaviour has to do with Limerick having more council estates than other cities. Also, past policies have failed these areas making them hotspots for such behaviour. The fact that there are clusters of estates like that results in burnt down houses not that Limerick is inherently a more violent city.
    All I know is that when I lived in Dublin, for example, I heard of more shootings and violent crimes, than here. Since 2007 guncrime is near non-existent here.
    I found antisocial behaviour in Dublin more present as well. Just sitting in the Luas some days you'll see plenty of it.

Just out of interest I wouldn't mind seeing a documentary about crime in Dublin or other cities for a change, that's all I'm saying.
    The only recent RTE programme on Dublin I remember was a fictional TV series on gangsters (Love/Hate).

Kess73 wrote: »
    Actually it is not one of the highest, Limerick is the city or town in Ireland with by far the highest % of social and council housing. The last set of statistics put it at over 40% of all city houses. That is a staggeringly high % and it is something that local authorities are guilty of allowing to happen.

Limerick is not a bad place, and has the potential in many ways to be a great place, but it has some very serious issues that keep getting put onto the long finger by those in the position to bring about a process of change.

Totally agree.
    There's some serious issues which still need to be tackled but I think Limerick has already come a long way and is a much better place to live than some people may think. Unfortunately, it's hell for some that live in bad areas and can't move away and the authorities should try to change that.

Here is a more positive picture of Limerick for a change by the Irish Times entitled "Limerick's quiet revolution"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/education/2010/1207/1224284916348.html

"Despite the quality of its facilities and its strong academic record, the university [of Limerick] still struggles to draw students from Dublin and other points north. The negative publicity about gang wars which clings to Limerick does not help. [...]

Across the campus, there is a sense among staff and students that it is those who opt to stay away from UL who are losing out. [...] They want you to shed those negative, ill-informed prejudices about Limerick and its environs."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

As mentioned above, the scale of this type of behaviour has to do with Limerick having more council estates than other cities. Also, past policies have failed these areas making them hotspots for such behaviour. The fact that there are clusters of estates like that results in burnt down houses not that Limerick is inherently a more violent city.
    All I know is that when I lived in Dublin, for example, I heard of more shootings and violent crimes, than here. Since 2007 guncrime is near non-existent here.
    I found antisocial behaviour in Dublin more present as well. Just sitting in the Luas some days you'll see plenty of it.

Just out of interest I wouldn't mind seeing a documentary about crime in Dublin or other cities for a change, that's all I'm saying.
    The only recent RTE programme on Dublin I remember was a fictional TV series on gangsters (Love/Hate).

There's a documentary on Dublin's boardwalk next week, seems to be hellish place according to RTE...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Kess73 wrote: »

Tbf, that 40% figure (think it's even higher 47% or so) doesn't take into account the reality that the city is far larger than the boundary suggests. Areas like Castletroy and Raheen which are mostly middle class aren't counted so it skews the stats, afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Antisocial behaviour has increased everywhere simply because of an increase in unemployment and other consequences of the recession.

I don't agree with that mindset; being unemployed doesn't turn a decent person into an anti-social yob.
    Other cities in Ireland are no different from Limerick in terms of antisocial behaviour. Yet you don't hear of any coverage of Dublin's, Cork's or Galway's poorest areas in Primetime Investigates...

Agree with you on that point.

Advertisement