Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of negative press on Limerick city

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Don't know to be honest - it would create jobs for starters that are badly needed in areas like that... Most of criminal behaviour in those areas comes from people being unemployed and having no prospects.

Do you actually think that the gang shown on Primetime want a job in Ikea.

They would be more interested in robbing the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Matches from Thomond Park shown on Setanta and Sky Sports, with commentators making positive remarks about Limerick.
    The Sydeny Morning Herald had this to say after Munster's win v Australia couple weeks ago:
    Rugby is a religion in the grim but friendly city of 90,000, which has battled a spate of gangland violence over the past decade and is now in the grip of a fierce recession.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Jigga wrote: »
    The Sydeny Morning Herald had this to say after Munster's win v Australia couple weeks ago:

absolutely scandalous article..everyone knows there's only about 55,000 ppl living in Limerick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Tbf, that 40% figure (think it's even higher 47% or so) doesn't take into account the reality that the city is far larger than the boundary suggests. Areas like Castletroy and Raheen which are mostly middle class aren't counted so it skews the stats, afaik.

Pretty sure that the last report did a breakdown of the % within the city limits and also of the estates technically outside those limits and came back with a combined figure of over 40%, and when only the houses within the city limits were used the figure was something silly like 60%.

Either way it is still a big figure, and even if we take the 47% to be meaning houses within the city limits only, it means that almost one house in two is a council house in the city. That is still way too high a % for such a small city.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I don't agree with that mindset; being unemployed doesn't turn a decent person into an anti-social yob.

No It doesn't, you're right. Being unemployed doesn't turn you into a criminal - I didn't mean to imply that at all. But if young people don't have any job prospects and they grow up in a difficult environment it doesn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

RonMexico wrote: »
    Do you actually think that the gang shown on Primetime want a job in Ikea.

They would be more interested in robbing the place.

Some of the people living there would give their right arm to live somewhere else and get a decent job. Others have turned into petty thieves and would rob the place, sure. At the moment prospects are quite bleak for some of the people from areas like this.
    One of the younger guys interviewed in that Primetime documentary said he had been in and out of prison for stealing cars. When asked if his dad ever told him off for doing things like that he said he's doing 10 years in prison himself. If you come from a family like that and live in an area like that surrounded by crime it's very hard to escape that kind of life, I'd imagine.
    I refuses to believe that people are born criminals. There's a minority that may be like that from the start but most people are conditioned by what they see on a day to day basis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Some of the people living there would give there right arm to live somewhere else and get a decent job. Others have turned into petty thieves and would rob the place, sure. At the moment prospects are quite bleak for some of the people from areas like this.
    One of the younger guys interviewed in that Primetime documentary said he had been in and out of prison for stealing cars. When asked if his dad ever told him off for doing things like that he said he's doing 10 years in prison himself. If you come from a family like that and live in an area like that surrounded by crime it's very hard to escape that kind of life, I'd imagine.
    I refuses to believe that people are born criminals. There's a minority that may be like that from the start but most people are conditioned by what they see on a day to day basis...

Then take the kids out of there. Have a zero tolerence policy that as soon as one of the parents are convicted of a crime the kids are removed from them. It will be hard, very hard for a generation or two. but soon enough they will get the message and a least the kids can be given a decent chance to get out of the visious circle.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Twin-go wrote: »
    Then take the kids out of there. Have a zero tolerence policy that as soon as one of the parents are convicted of a crime the kids are removed from them. It will be hard, very hard for a generation or two. but soon enough they will get the message and a least the kids can be given a decent chance to get out of the visious circle.

I'm not sure how familiar people are with the "Forgotten Australians" disaster, but forced rehousing of children has a very bad track record...

I'm not sure how familiar people are with the "Forgotten Australians" disaster, but forced rehousing of children has a very bad track record...

Well I.O. I hope we have learned the lessons of past mistakes and actually look after the children properly but, unless the children are isolated from the problems in these estates the cycle will just begin again and grow even larger.

Another option could be Eugenics but thats a whole other can of worms.

Radical problems do however need radical solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Well I.O. I hope we have learned the lessons of past mistakes and actually look after the children properly but, unless the children are isolated from the problems in these estates the cycle will just begin again and grow even larger.

Another option could be Eugenics but thats a whole other can of worms.

Radical problems do however need radical solutions.

are you serious ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I don't think a radical child protection approach is necessary. What is required is a normal FUNCTIONING child protection agency. Our current system is all but useless.

There are children in these estates living in woeful environments with parents who don't care if the kids have a decent dinner or even whether they attend school.

I have witnessed children as young as three walking around on the street at 11pm on their own. The parents don't give a damn. They send their kids to the shop at 8am to buy sweets for breakfast. Lunch and dinner are from the chipper. They don't go to school and are sent by the parents to neighbours houses begging on a regular basis. It is shocking and social workers are involved yet nothing seems to be done. They should have been taken into care years ago. It is neglect and yet the state won't intervene unless they are being physically abused. Even then they act too late.

Like everything in this country the system in place is utterly useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

There has been gang feuding going on in Dublin for years and worse than the Limerick feud. We don't blame the media for problem, we just get on with it and try our best for the future. I worked in Thomond park for about 4 months and loved every minute of it. Limerick has great people and and it's a great city. Limerick people should stop focussing on the negative image and enjoy your city for what it really is and be proud of it. I know I'm proud of Dublin despite the shiit that's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There has been gang feuding going on in Dublin for years and worse than the Limerick feud. We don't blame the media for problem, we just get on with it and try our best for the future. I worked in Thomond park for about 4 months and loved every minute of it. Limerick has great people and and it's a great city. Limerick people should stop focussing on the negative image and enjoy your city for what it really is and be proud of it. I know I'm proud of Dublin despite the shiit that's going on.

Ah shucks, but enough about me, we also have special people in Limerick like Raiser. :D

marienbad wrote: »
    are you serious ?

Yes, why?

Do you have a counter argument or other possible solutions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

...But if young people don't have any job prospects and they grow up in a difficult environment it doesn't help.

I think they do have job prospects. However the odds are heavily weighed against them when it comes to getting a job. Why?

Dysfunctional family backgrounds aren't the best foundation for staying in education

Peer pressure to act the thug

Robbing cars, doing drugs is more fun than going against the grain and keeping your head down and working hard

Yes, why?

Do you have a counter argument or other possible solutions?

Ok ,but before I bite can you give me an idea of what you mean by 'eugenics'

Ok ,but before I bite can you give me an idea of what you mean by 'eugenics'

My preference for a solution to the problem would be the removal of the children from convicted criminals. This would have to be done with great care to avoid some of the horrors that happen children in the past.

On Eugenics;

Maybe on one end of the scale limiting families to 2 children in order to give those children a better chance in life.

On the other end, and this is a very extreme view, involuntary sterilisation of convicted criminals. You can go on about human rights and the like but in my view if you commit certain crimes you choose to lose any rights you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

Does anyone else find the continuous negative press on Limerick sickening?

I'm not even from Limerick City but lived here long enough to know that it's a nice enough city with decent night life, good education and sports facilities and many other perks.
    I'm quite annoyed that Dublin-centered reporting seems to only focus on the negative aspects. Any recent report/documentary has mostly focused only on crime, poverty, gangland activity (e.g. a recent "Primetime investigates" documentary on Limerick http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1086460) which are things confined to few areas of Limerick.

I can't help but think that these reports are purposely trying to scaremonger and keep prospective investors, students away... Anyone else agree?
    You might be sick to death about it, but you rather them ignore the issues that ordinary law abiding people have to endure pain and hurt because of these thugs?

My preference for a solution to the problem would be the removal of the children from convicted criminals. This would have to be done with great care to avoid some of the horrors that happen children in the past.

On Eugenics;

Maybe on one end of the scale limiting families to 2 children in order to give those children a better chance in life.

On the other end, and this is a very extreme view, involuntary sterilisation of convicted criminals. You can go on about human rights and the like but in my view if you commit certain crimes you choose to lose any rights you have.

are you advocating any of the above as a serious policy ?

and just on a sidenote what would you advocate for the bankers etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Limerick city is a great place to live, guess it just depends what area you live in. The press highlight how criminals are allowed to take over certain parts of the city (how ever tiny) and decent people are living in fear.People should be allowed to live in peace whatever part of limerick they live in. The criminals should be locked up in a real prison not a holiday camp. I know limerick is a great place to live.
    But certain parts of limerick decent people some who owned their own houses are to this day bullied by criminals, with no help from no one, brushing it under the carpet does not help anyone.

The fact that your post is littered with references to criminals taking over 'certain parts' of the city and people living in fear for years in their own homes shows Limerick isn't really a great place to live in at all. But for some reason there's a seriously pig-headed persistance from people to pretend all is dandy -when in reality people are getting assaulted on the street at 8.30 in the morning on their way to work and driving stolen cars so fast until they die as a father, aged 23.

The press highlight these things because they should be highlighted. What else should we do -integrate this sh1t into our society without batting an eyelid?

I think a huge part of the problem around here is that people from these parts are sadly all too familiar with talking and hearing about stabbings, assaults, robberies, shootings and murders and have become so desensitised to these horrific terms that they casually refer to criminals running the city that they insist is so great.

One of the first steps in not 'brushing these things under the carpet' munstergirl is admitting there's a problem. Only false people live in false realities and there are already too many Jordan wannabes in Limerick.

• Advertisement

are you advocating any of the above as a serious policy ?

and just on a sidenote what would you advocate for the bankers etc ?

Yes I am.

Are the children of bankers making reckless financial decisions with other peoples money
    like their parents? It's not really comparing like with like now is it?

You are still yet to share your solutions to the problems in these estates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The fact that your post is littered with references to criminals taking over 'certain parts' of the city and people living in fear for years in their own homes shows Limerick isn't really a great place to live in at all. But for some reason there's a seriously pig-headed persistance from people to pretend all is dandy -when in reality people are getting assaulted on the street at 8.30 in the morning on their way to work and driving stolen cars so fast until they die as a father, aged 23.

The press highlight these things because they should be highlighted. What else should we do -integrate this sh1t into our society without batting an eyelid?

I think a huge part of the problem around here is that people from these parts are sadly all too familiar with talking and hearing about stabbings, assaults, robberies, shootings and murders and have become so desensitised to these horrific terms that they casually refer to criminals running the city that they insist is so great.

One of the first steps in not 'brushing these things under the carpet' munstergirl is admitting there's a problem. Only false people live in false realities and there are already too many Jordan wannabes in Limerick.

From the girl who doesn't like admitting Dublin is the gun murder capital of Europe?

People in Limerick can admit there's a problem, we just aren't going to pretend it's only Limerick that has problems in Ireland.

From the girl who doesn't like admitting Dublin is the gun murder capital of Europe?

You see, this is exactly what I'm talking about. This thread isn't even about Dublin yet you immediately jump on the defensive and make dramatic references to problems elsewhere as if it somehow justifies what's going on in Limerick. By the way, I have no problem discussing Dublin's social problems but again, that's not the topic here.
    People in Limerick can admit there's a problem, we just aren't going to pretend it's only Limerick that has problems in Ireland.

Can you? Because I've seen a lot of denial in this thread alone and evidently I'm not the only one who thinks so. And to be honest, yes it is only Limerick that has such widespread and prolonged anti-social behaviours. But we're going around in circles here because your post just reiterates everything people have already said about not wanting to acknowledge the harsh reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I keep harping on about it, but everywhere in the country would be the same if it got no investment. Limerick and it's citizens have been totally neglected by FF.

What people like joe nash in 95fm should do is, admit there is a huge problem, and then focus on the solution. Inner city dublin is unrecognisable from what it was 20 years ago. Since this government has come in, the city has become an desperate unemployment black spot.

liammur wrote: »
    Since this government has come in, the city has become an desperate unemployment black spot.

I suppose it's nothing to do with the vast number of work-shy degenerates who live here?

Yes I am.

Are the children of bankers making reckless financial decisions with other peoples money
    like their parents? It's not really comparing like with like now is it?

You are still yet to share your solutions to the problems in these estates.

Yes it is, crime is crime be it rezoning/banking fraud or damage to property in Southill.

So white collar is Ok then, but working-class crime= sterilisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Can you? Because I've seen a lot of denial in this thread alone and evidently I'm not the only one who thinks so. And to be honest, yes it is only Limerick that has such widespread and prolonged anti-social behaviours.

The Northside of Dublin.

The problems in Limerick can be solved, in part they bring solved. One of the gangs seems to be in complete disarray (the Dundon/McCarthys) and the others are very quiet.

Now we have to tackle the underlying problems in the areas, the unemployment and the deprivation. A child growing up in Clareview is far more likely to go to college/trade than a child in Moyross, it's up to us to solve that problem. Moyross has quietened down massively since the attack on the kids (Gavin and Millie). Would you disagree with that?

Yes it is, crime is crime be it rezoning/banking fraud or damage to property in Southill.

So white collar is Ok then, but working-class crime= sterilisation

If banking fraud was endemic and the children of the bankers were also committing the fraud while knowing in was a crime then yes but we both know this is not the case.

What is been done by bring kids into an environment like the worst parts of Southill and Moyross is nothing less than child abuse.

Now share your thoughts or ideas on solutions or move along.

The Northside of Dublin.

...is a big place. Where and what about it specifically? Maybe you should start a thread in the Dublin forum.
    Now we have to tackle the underlying problems in the areas, the unemployment and the deprivation. A child growing up in Clareview is far more likely to go to college/trade than a child in Moyross, it's up to us to solve that problem. Moyross has quietened down massively since the attack on the kids (Gavin and Millie). Would you disagree with that?

I'm thankfully not privy to the current goings on in Moyross so I can't comment on that. My point, for the eleventy billionth time referred to the obstinate tendency to pretend Limerick's a wonderful place to live when it's clearly not for a lot of people. Have you asked anyone from Moyross how happy they are living there? Because the teenagers I'm working with are all from Moyross and the inner city, try telling them that Limerick's a great place and they'd laugh at you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

There's a great shot of the strands along the Shannon played during the Angelus a couple of days a week.

The Late Late Show was done in UCH not too long ago, with a fairly positive spin.

Matches from Thomond Park shown on Setanta and Sky Sports, with commentators making positive remarks about Limerick.

Those are three examples of positive spin off the top of my head. It's there if you look for it.

Precisely. What came to my mind was the documntary done with a local poet on RTÉ, filmed in the White House on O' Connell St. Fantastic programme showing Limerick in a great light. Anyone remember the name?

gaf1983 wrote: »
    I think they do have job prospects.

There are very few job prospects for anyone in Limerick city at the moment.
    I suppose it's nothing to do with the vast number of work-shy degenerates who live here?

As sweeping generalisations go, that's a prize catch.

Advertisement