Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of negative press on Limerick city

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

liammur wrote: »
    I keep harping on about it, but everywhere in the country would be the same if it got no investment. Limerick and it's citizens have been totally neglected by FF.
    Inner city dublin is unrecognisable from what it was 20 years ago. Since this government has come in, the city has become an desperate unemployment black spot.

I totally agree. I think a lot of mistakes in terms of planning and policy have been made in the past in Limerick which have lead to this deplorable situation.
    limklad wrote: »
    You might be sick to death about it, but you rather them ignore the issues that ordinary law abiding people have to endure pain and hurt because of these thugs?

I don't think ANYONE that ever lived in Limerick denies that more things need to be done in terms of crime, poverty and unemployment in some areas. Law-abiding citizens should not have to endure antisocial behaviour like that and fear for their lives.

It is a good thing that problems like that are brought to people's attention in the media, particularly to the attention of politicians that can do something about it.
    However, a negative byproduct of this type of coverage is that Limerick keeps being associated more so with gangland crime and poverty than necessary. People that have never been to Limerick to make up their own minds often mistakingly believe that it's one of the worst cities to live in in Ireland based on reports like that. They forget about the many people around here that live a very normal and happy life in this city and automatically think of Limerick as "Stab City".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

I suppose it's nothing to do with the vast number of work-shy degenerates who live here?

They have an easy excuse, there are no jobs in the region. That's what most people can't grasp. If there were jobs, and these degenerates refused to take them, then they should have no dole.

Look at Galway, loads of jobs, not half the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

CiaranMT wrote: »
    As sweeping generalisations go, that's a prize catch.

I think people are well aware of who I'm referring to but go ahead, take offence anyway.

Because the teenagers I'm working with are all from Moyross and the inner city, try telling them that Limerick's a great place and they'd laugh at you.

They would because some of the people living there have only experienced failure and neglect during their lives - by the state, sometimes by their parents, in education etc. but that doesn't mean that everyone else in Limerick is facing those exact same problems every day like they do.
    I don't think that sensationalist documentaries like Donal MacIntyre's Crime Capitals are going to help underprivileged teenagers (At least the Primetime Investigates documentary was somewhat respectable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I think people are well aware of who I'm referring to but go ahead, take offence anyway.

It's gone over my head then.

• Advertisement

liammur wrote: »
    there are no jobs in the region. That's what most people can't grasp. If there were jobs, and these degenerates refused to take them, then they should have no dole.

Exactly. That's why I think excessively covering these problems in the national media is counterproductive to some extent. Since Limerick is one of the cities in Ireland that has been affected a lot by the recession, i.e. unemployment in Limerick is almost 30% higher than in the rest of the country (August 2010 figures from http://limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/local-news/2116-limerick-unemployment.html), it needs more investors/companies to settle in the area and create new jobs. If potential investors perceive Limerick to be unsafe thanks to too much bad press, they'll stay away which results in no jobs and the same old problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Twin-go wrote: »
    If banking fraud was endemic and the children of the bankers were also committing the fraud while knowing in was a crime then yes but we both know this is not the case.

What is been done by bring kids into an environment like the worst parts of Southill and Moyross is nothing less than child abuse.

Now share your thoughts or ideas on solutions or move along.

White collar fraud is endemic ! where have you been for the last number of years, and has done much more damage to this country than any anti-social behaviour .

The cost of just one one those tribunals alone would long ago have solved Limerick's problems.

As for solutions -here goes...

- The people of Limerick accept there is a serious problem and stop blaming the ''medja'' .If we dont recognise the issue how can we begin to solve it.

- an immediate extension to the city boundary , including parts of Clare so we stop having contradictory policies by 3 different councils .

- a review of the justice system so that we stop putting people in jail for unpaid fines etc and thus free up space for real criminals to stay in jail.

-a zero tolerance for drug dealers and start filling those jails with real criminals

- realistic drug and alcohol recovery programmes and facilities properly funded.

- all Social Services to operate on a 24/7 basis .

-child intervention at the earliest possible opportunity.

- any/all Social Welfare payments linked to education, education, education

There is few for starters and would be cost effective in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

marienbad wrote: »
    White collar fraud is endemic ! where have you been for the last number of years, and has done much more damage to this country than any anti-social behaviour .

The cost of just one one those tribunals alone would long ago have solved Limerick's problems.

As for solutions -here goes...

- The people of Limerick accept there is a serious problem and stop blaming the ''medja'' .If we dont recognise the issue how can we begin to solve it.

- an immediate extension to the city boundary , including parts of Clare so we stop having contradictory policies by 3 different councils .

- a review of the justice system so that we stop putting people in jail for unpaid fines etc and thus free up space for real criminals to stay in jail.

-a zero tolerance for drug dealers and start filling those jails with real criminals

- realistic drug and alcohol recovery programmes and facilities properly funded.

- all Social Services to operate on a 24/7 basis .

-child intervention at the earliest possible opportunity.

- any/all Social Welfare payments linked to education, education, education

There is few for starters and would be cost effective in the long run.

White colour crime is not endemic. The reason for our banking crisis is due to recklessness and lack of regulation. And while it has caused us as a country to be in the financial state we are in to compare it to generation after generation of anti-social and crime ridden families terrorizing their neighbors is not really a like for like comparison. To say that more of Limericks ills have be caused by bankers more than then scumbags is frankly laughable. Even through the Celtic tiger years when everybody who wanted a job could get a job these people still where on welfare. Ask yourself the question, E
    Why?

I do agree with some of your points.
    I would go even further and get rid of the local authorities and replace them with one single Munster provisional council.

I also agree with zero tolerance. But why stop at just drug dealers? Joy riding, theft, intimidation should be custodial sentences. And not in a plush prison holiday camp. Their lives need to be made hell in there.

Once they leave prison and if the reoffend the sentence is doubled and their children are removed into care. If they have no kids then we need to make sure the will never have kids. To allow kids to be born into that environment is just crule in the extreame.

It's time to stop giving these people chances. They have had enough. Any goodwill shown is just thrown back into peoples faces.

Edit: just an after thought on one of your comments.
    You say that the jails should not be filled up with people who didn't pay fines and let the real criminal in. Is the non-payment of fines more akin to the white color crime you said was worse than anti-social behaivour? Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

...is a big place. Where and what about it specifically? Maybe you should start a thread in the Dublin forum.

I'm thankfully not privy to the current goings on in Moyross so I can't comment on that. My point, for the eleventy billionth time referred to the obstinate tendency to pretend Limerick's a wonderful place to live when it's clearly not for a lot of people. Have you asked anyone from Moyross how happy they are living there? Because the teenagers I'm working with are all from Moyross and the inner city, try telling them that Limerick's a great place and they'd laugh at you.

Where do you work?

I know plenty of people from Moyross who'll happily tell you which are the good parts and which are the bad parts of Moyross, I'm not surprised you don't know the difference. Saying all of Moyross is bad is like saying all of the Northside of Dublin is bad, imo, a point that whooshed by you.

I know plenty of people from Moyross who'll happily tell you which are the good parts and which are the bad parts of Moyross, I'm not surprised you don't know the difference. Saying all of Moyross is bad is like saying all of the Northside of Dublin is bad, imo, a point that whooshed by you.

What has Dublin or the the geography of Moyross got to do with any of the points I've made? Are you even reading my posts or are you just digressing from the fact that you're unable to provide me with a legitimate response?
    Where do you work?

Lol, any other personal information you'd like me to share with you and our fellow readers?

• Advertisement

What has Dublin or the the geography of Moyross got to do with any of the points I've made? Are you even reading my posts or are you just digressing from the fact that you're unable to provide me with a legitimate response?

Lol, any other personal information you'd like me to share with you and our fellow readers?

I think it's fair enough if you say you work with people who hate Moyross to ask where you work. I know people who like their areas in Moyross, who've bought houses there and who have good neighbours. I also know these same people will tell you there's awful parts of Moyross. It's important to focus on the areas within the estates where the trouble exists, do you disagree?

My point re Dublin relates your inability or unwillingness to accept the problems in Limerick are not unique (hence I bolded the word "only" earlier). There's plenty of places in Dublin alone with the exact same problems. They have a common cause and will have the same solutions.

My impression is you dislike the rest of Limerick, outside the estates and simply like this as a hobby horse to pretend the entire city is one and the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

No where else are the problems so overt.

Ballymun have an Ikea store. What would happen if you put one in Southill?
    It would run just the same as Super Valu at Watch House Cross, quite well.
    I'm thankfully not privy to the current goings on in Moyross so I can't comment on that. My point, for the eleventy billionth time referred to the obstinate tendency to pretend Limerick's a wonderful place to live when it's clearly not for a lot of people. Have you asked anyone from Moyross how happy they are living there? Because the teenagers I'm working with are all from Moyross and the inner city, try telling them that Limerick's a great place and they'd laugh at you.
    So you work with teenagers from Moyross but have no idea what is going on there?

I think it's fair enough if you say you work with people who hate Moyross to ask where you work.

I don't think it's fair enough at all. It would not only be a breach of confidentiality but it would also be unprofessional and possibly dangerous to openly discuss sensitive issues in such detail online. Not to mention the fact that you don't need to know, I've made my point, you either accept it or you don't. Note I would neither expect nor ask you to mention the places or people you're referring to.
    My point re Dublin relates your inability or unwillingness to accept the problems in Limerick are not unique

My point re Limerick relates your inability or unwillingness to accept the prolonged and widespread scale and extent of problems here are unique to this county in Ireland.
    My impression is you dislike the rest of Limerick, outside the estates and simply like this as a hobby horse to pretend the entire city is one and the same.

My impression is you're wrong.
    eroo wrote: »
    So you work with teenagers from Moyross but have no idea what is going on there?

No, not the current ins and outs. Nor do I need to, it's not within my remit.

My point re Limerick relates your inability or unwillingness to accept the prolonged and widespread scale and extent of problems here are unique to this county in Ireland.

But they aren't unique, that's my point.

You can't walk 500 metres (being kind) in Dublin without passing junkies wrapped up in old rags begging on the footpath. Virtually every ATM has a junkie next to it in the city centre. You can't walk through places like Sheriff street or parts of Finglas at any time etc. How can you see all these things and still say only Limerick has social problems? Do you genuinely not see all the junkies in Dublin?

White colour crime is not endemic. The reason for our banking crisis is due to recklessness and lack of regulation. And while it has caused us as a country to be in the financial state we are in to compare it to generation after generation of anti-social and crime ridden families terrorizing their neighbors is not really a like for like comparison. To say that more of Limericks ills have be caused by bankers more than then scumbags is frankly laughable. Even through the Celtic tiger years when everybody who wanted a job could get a job these people still where on welfare. Ask yourself the question, E
    Why?

I do agree with some of your points.
    I would go even further and get rid of the local authorities and replace them with one single Munster provisional council.

I also agree with zero tolerance. But why stop at just drug dealers? Joy riding, theft, intimidation should be custodial sentences. And not in a plush prison holiday camp. Their lives need to be made hell in there.

Once they leave prison and if the reoffend the sentence is doubled and their children are removed into care. If they have no kids then we need to make sure the will never have kids. To allow kids to be born into that environment is just crule in the extreame.

It's time to stop giving these people chances. They have had enough. Any goodwill shown is just thrown back into peoples faces.

Edit: just an after thought on one of your comments.
    You say that the jails should not be filled up with people who didn't pay fines and let the real criminal in. Is the non-payment of fines more akin to the white color crime you said was worse than anti-social behaivour? Just a thought.

I am not comparing white collar crime , I am contrasting the attitude towards it to the draconian measures you bring up in relation to other crime, as far as I am concerned crime is crime. But it is tangetial to the main issue so lets not get dragged down that route.

You ask why, in my opinion when these estates were crying out for help back in the early 80's we as a state deserted them. It was ok as long as the trouble remained in the 'sink' estates but by the time the 90's came around and the problems had spread it was too late to put the genie back in the bottle.

May I ask what is your explanation for it, as you favour eugenics do you believe by any chance that it is in the genes ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

But they aren't unique, that's my point.

You can't walk 500 metres (being kind) in Dublin without passing junkies begging wrapped up in old rags begging on the footpath. Virtually every ATM has a junkie next to it in the city centre. You can't walk through places like Sheriff street or parts of Finglas at any time etc. How can you see all these things and still say only Limerick has social problems? Do you genuinely not see all the junkies in Dublin?

Totally agree. I know a lad who recently (around 2 years ago) did a stint as a Guard in Store St. and he told me that Sheriff St is dodgier that than any part of Limerick he'd been to And he's from Limerick).
    I've lived in Limerick my whole 34 years and I've never seen any trouble. That doesn't mean that I don't realise that it exists, I'm not stupid. There is a major issue that needs to be resolved, but the fact remains that Limerick is generally a very safe place to live and the majority of people here do not live in fear, contrary to the media and certain posters on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

How can you see all these things and still say only Limerick has social problems?

In fairness, the poster has specifically said that it is the widespread extent of the problems which they believe is unique to certain areas of Limerick, not simply the social problems themselves. You're just using strawman arguments if you argue otherwise.

I am not comparing white collar crime , I am contrasting the attitude towards it to the draconian measures you bring up in relation to other crime, as far as I am concerned crime is crime. But it is tangetial to the main issue so lets not get dragged down that route.

Unfortunitly crime is not always black and white. But agreed we are going a bit off tipic with this.

You ask why, in my opinion when these estates were crying out for help back in the early 80's we as a state deserted them. It was ok as long as the trouble remained in the 'sink' estates but by the time the 90's came around and the problems had spread it was too late to put the genie back in the bottle.

Agreed, you can even go back further to the early 70's when the estates where first created without any clear planning. The Generation who planned and built these estates have alot to answer for.

May I ask what is your explanation for it, as you favour eugenics do you believe by any chance that it is in the genes?

The anti social behaivour may not be in their DNA but, children learn their social skill form their parents mostly. What hope have the kids got if their parents are drug dealers, thiefs, in gangs etc. Eugenics in not just about genes it can also be related to socioeconomic conditions of people.

Bottom line Parent that have no respect for themselves or others will have children that will have no respect for themselves or others.

Can you tell me why these type of people should be allowed to bring children into their world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭anti_c

As a victim of very serious anti_ social behaviour .The anti_social behaviour me and my family had to go through hell. .me and my family left No stone unturned we went every where for Help and Got None. we went to our last two mayors of our limerick city and our Newest Mayor we went to All our limerick city coucillors fine fail ,fine gael ,and labour, and got absolutely no help what so ever. We had no other choice but leave our home in Garryowen fairview crescent .And made homeless in 2010 is Anti_social behavior A Crime? Then who got jail in limerick city? Limerick city council have done abslutely nothing to help us they have the power to do so we are living in a timebomb anti_social behavior is bring Down our city. and so are the people in power like Limerick city social policy & housing Department the councils tenacy enforcement officer O " by the way the get Paid today for doing abslutely nothing.

Totally agree. I know a lad who recently (around 2 years ago) did a stint as a Guard in Store St. and he told me that Sheriff St is dodgier that than any part of Limerick he'd been to And he's from Limerick).
    I've lived in Limerick my whole 34 years and I've never seen any trouble. That doesn't mean that I don't realise that it exists, I'm not stupid. There is a major issue that needs to be resolved, but the fact remains that Limerick is generally a very safe place to live and the majority of people here do not live in fear, contrary to the media and certain posters on this forum.

Yes but the Limerick Urban area is less than 1/10th the size of Dublin. You are always much closer to problem areas in Limerick because of its size.

Go to certain parts of Dublin City centre and it will be crawling with scumbags but go to another part and you will see hardly any. Yet in Limerick the whole City centre is full of scumbags everyday of the week.

I work in Limerick but live outside the city currently. I did how ever rent houses and apartments in the late 90s up to about 2004 during college.
    I have witnessed a guy getting a brick smashed over his head during a fight on cecil street lower, a stabbing at taxi rank on Shannon st., joyriding in chardavin, theft from stores on O'connell St. (by kids less than 10 years old!!:eek:), cars been damaged on Cecil St., store windows been broken on William St.

None of the above would be concidered "problem" areas but yet they are affected by scumbags.

You must never venture out past your front door if you have never witnessed any trouble in Limerick!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

As a Limerick city man I welcomed the highlighting of the issues in Limerick neighbourhoods..it might get the redevelopment plan the support it needs from the authorities for it to be implemented properly. For all those people complaining about the negative image being portrayed..I think you need to ask yourself would you live in any of those neighbourhoods? I know if I lived in the worst affected communities in Limerick I would be on to anyone that listened in order to get the place sorted out. The council, The Gardai, the TD's the media...ANYBODY that would listen.

This problem that Limerick people have about being portrayed negatively is in my opinion a kneejerk reaction that needs to stop. I see those people in RTE as having done Limerick a favour...we should see these programmes as a form of constructive criticism and take from them a list of things that need to be fixed. We as a community need to move on and get those areas in our MAGNIFICENT city sorted out once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

As a Limerick city man I welcomed the highlighting of the issues in Limerick neighbourhoods..it might get the redevelopment plan the support it needs from the authorities for it to be implemented properly. For all those people complaining about the negative image being portrayed..I think you need to ask yourself would you live in any of those neighbourhoods? I know if I lived in the worst affected communities in Limerick I would be on to anyone that listened in order to get the place sorted out. The council, The Gardai, the TD's the media...ANYBODY that would listen.

This problem that Limerick people have about being portrayed negatively is in my opinion a kneejerk reaction that needs to stop. I see those people in RTE as having done Limerick a favour...we should see these programmes as a form of constructive criticism and take from them a list of things that need to be fixed. We as a community need to move on and get those areas in our MAGNIFICENT city sorted out once and for all.

Absolutely spot on! Completely agree with this.

osarusan wrote: »
    In fairness, the poster has specifically said that it is the widespread extent of the problems which they believe is unique to certain areas of Limerick, not simply the social problems themselves. You're just using strawman arguments if you argue otherwise.

But they aren't widespread, the serious problems the Prime Time highlighted are confined to a handful of estates. Do you think people are being burned out of their homes in Caherdavin, Raheen, Dooradoyle or Castletroy?

There are problems outside the estates, certainly, but not to the extent some on here like to claim.

Do you think people are being burned out of their homes in Caherdavin, Raheen, Dooradoyle or Castletroy?

Oh sure grand, once they're relatively ok out in Raheen no bother -people shouldn't be getting burned out of their homes ANYWHERE ffs.

It is NOT OK for an area the size of Moyross to be held at ransom by thugs in 2010, it is NOT OK for children to be shot at when playing in their front garden by teenagers firing bullets like skittles, it is NOT OK for innocent people to be shot dead and lose their entire life because people haven't got the balls to stand together and say something is seriously wrong here and it needs to be sorted out fast.

People need to be pro-active, not reactive and attitudes need to change for things to improve around here.

It is NOT OK for an area the size of Moyross to be held at ransom by thugs in 2010,

But not of all of Moyross is, can't you grasp that?

Have you ever actually been to Moyross or do you just clock out of work and think no more about it?

I agree completely that we need to focus hard on what's causing the trouble in parts of Moyross, but we also need to recognise that some parts of Moyross function fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

But not of all of Moyross is, can't you grasp that?
    How is that any way relevant? Everyone is already agreeing that the issues dont happen everywhere in Limerick.

CiaranC wrote: »
    How is that any way relevant? Everyone is already agreeing that the issues dont happen everywhere in Limerick.

But the perception in a wider sense is that Limerick as a whole is a dangerous place. That's what the OP is on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

But the perception in a wider sense is that Limerick as a whole is a dangerous place. That's what the OP is on about.

Are you even reading the thread?

CiaranC wrote: »
    Are you even reading the thread?

Yes, have you ever been to any of the areas in the documentary?

• Advertisement

But it is a dangerous place, though some parts are far more dangerous than others. And lets stop saying it happens in other cities, maybe it does and let them have their own thread. Until we recognise the problem we wont begin to solve it. We are too defensive with issues of perception.
    Solve the problem and the perception will change

Sure you have drug issues in Dublin , but Limerick is really such a small place that relatively small numbers can make certain areas unliveable and virtually every area a potential danger.

Advertisement