Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of negative press on Limerick city

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/developers-of-shopping-centre-post-euro125m-loss-on-project-2821125.html

From the indo today. How in God's name was that estate agency allowed to do the valuation on the Opera Centre when one of the directors of the agency is also a director of the Opera Centre :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Auld Parnell street is the first street people see when they get off the train. So you get a few chippers, and a few p*ssheads roaring abuse at you! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I remember meeting an American friend of mine at the station two years ago. As we crossed the street outside a huge brawl broke out in the middle of the road between two guys in white vests. They were beating the crap out of each other and all the traffic stopped as they couldn't pass. Was around 2pm in the day.

Should have seen the look on my friends face. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

RonMexico wrote: »
    I remember meeting an American friend of mine at the station two years ago. As we crossed the street outside a huge brawl broke out in the middle of the road between two guys in white vests. They were beating the crap out of each other and all the traffic stopped as they couldn't pass. Was around 2pm in the day.

Should have seen the look on my friends face. :eek:

TBH, same thing could be said in a lot of Irish and european cities, train stations seem to attract undesireables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

phog wrote: »
    TBH, same thing could be said in a lot of Irish and european cities, train stations seem to attract undesireables.
    Yup, nothing unusual there.
    There's a lot of work to be done to have the same "street environment" as Cork or Galway. The opera centre wouldn't have done anything for that, everything tucked away in one corner of the city. What you need is one or two wide streets for the bigger shops, and smaller streets and lanes in between for the smaller shops and cafes. Pedestrianise as much of that as possible and create a nice place/atmosphere to wander around. It's what draws people to a town centre over some outlet unit outside of town. (that and parking, you might have to raze certain areas to create more parking...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

More parking? What a great success that's been up to now. Much better than efficient public transport and so what if you have to knock some of the city?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

am I the only person who can drive into the city and find onstreet parking every single time ? I'm constantly amazed at people giving out about parking. Is it that people can't reverse park into spaces or wot ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

am I the only person who can drive into the city and find onstreet parking every single time ? I'm constantly amazed at people giving out about parking. Is it that people can't reverse park into spaces or wot ? :confused:
    nah, they just begrudge paying for it apparently? All the free parking spots (double yellows, entrances and exits) are always gone when I go to town ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Garry Owen

Our Willie O'Dea has done a lot of good for our City why does everyone down him all the time he has done a great deal for the people of garryowen and limerick in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Garry Owen wrote: »
    Our Willie O'Dea has done a lot of good for our City why does everyone down him all the time he has done a great deal for the people of garryowen and limerick in general.

Like what?
    The only thing I ever got off him was some hash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Garry Owen wrote: »

is that you Willie ???? ;)

by the way, welcome to Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

I can smell the moustache off that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

Personally I think if the City Council got off their arses and cleaned some of the places that are neglected it would be a start.Obviously there's no money to restore buildings but there's no reason why buildings can't get a lick of paint or put in more bins etc-why does it take JP to get the finger out to clean the buildings by the opera centre?The council just wipe their hands off it saying it#s the developers problem-surely it becomes the council's job if there's nothing being done to maintain the area.
    I wish they would take on board some of the constructive criticism on boards instead of spouting some pr guff about more tourists in Limerick etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not sure the city council or any council for that matter can enter or alter your property regardless of what condition it's in. They may have powers to instruct you to make it safe or clean but I seriously doubt that they can just go along willy nilly cleaning up places. Also, I guess that if they could you'd have cheapskates that would leave it the council to keep their property looking well.

Advertisement