Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter pack(UI & Addons)

Options
  • 08-12-2010 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

just wondering can anyone recommend me a good UI and the most essential addons needed to play, ive been out of the game for a long time so cant remember what I used in the past.

if there is an all in one pack brilliant, if not then even the various parts id need to install?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

It really depends on what class / role you play and what you enjoy most. PVE or PVP require different mods for the most part. It's always better to build your own UI though, those packages you see are setup for someone else and their playstyle. Trying to adapt your playstyle to their setup can be difficult. This is particularly true if you are a clicker or someone that has keybinds for most core spells but still needs to click ones on occasion.

Anyway having said that from a PVE point of view I would say:

Essential raiding addons:
    - DeadlyBoss Mods: Announces abilities etc.
    - Omen Threat Meter: Self explanatory

Borderline Essential:
    - PowerAuras: An addon that can announce things like you (or your targets) health or mana. Buffs and debuffs as well. Blizz have put this into the game but you can't beat your own customised versions.

With those you could comfortably raid with the standard Blizzard UI.

Non Essential:
    - Recount / Skada: Definitely not a requirement and is something I would recommend disabling when raiding as it is a distraction. Very useful though for checking damage percentages and getting an idea of how your rotation is used.
    - Grid: Always nice to see the health / status of the raid particularly as a hybrid. This would be essential if you were a healer
    - Clique: I use this to mouse / keybind my healing spells to free up bar room
    - Decursive: If you can dispel something this is a nice addon

The last three can be combined into grid pretty much and if you are good at keybinds you probably won't need any of them.

Anything else is really a luxury, if you want smaller/larger bars and sharper options you can look at packages like Dominos or XPerl. There are some fantastic UIs out there take a look and get ideas from how they lay things out and what addons they used and customise it to your own needs then.

NB: There is an equivalent to each of the above they seem to be the most popular. Read around the forums and see what kind of problems they cause memory wise on your PC. Like Recount Vs Skadas memory consumption is a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

If you're looking for a whole UI package, take a look at the stuff over at WoWInterface. Personally, I use Zork's Roth UI - it's very small space-wise (the compressed folder was ~1MB I think), and has some really nice artwork (Diablo-esque stuff). It was in the minimalistic category AFAIK but it consumes a fair share of space. It's not obstructing anything IMO, but if you were to compare to something like TukUI, Roth UI doesn't really look minimalistic at all :P

In terms of putting your own UI together, a combination of Grid (for raid frames), Pitbull (for party/individual frames, I personally don't think that Pitbull can display raid frames as neatly as Grid) and Bartender (for action bars) worked quite nicely for me - VuhDo is pretty nice too as a raid frame addon (allows your mouse clicks to cast spells on the targeted frame, although I think Clique allows for this as well). Aside from those things, I never really customised aside from tweaking UI packs to what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

im rolling a mage having only ever played as a warrior before, I dont raid and not interested in PVP, so just looking for a few essential things, i remember auctioneer and questhelper(which dosent seem to be working properly on my new character but working fine on my main) which i have.

powerauras sounds good for a start anyway, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

AFAIK, you shouldn't need QuestHelper anymore with the built-in quest tracker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i just came back from a long break, i missed the whole shattering gig.

played for about 3 years in total, always used quite a lot of addons

questhelper
    titanpanel
    bar mod(bartender maybe?)
    enemy cast bars
    iceHUD
    xperl raid units
    bagnon
    ect
    ect

now i just use the barmod and titanpanel and the rest can pretty much be done with the interface options.

way better fps, im playin at the highest resolution with everything maxed out and im getting about 90-95 fps in org.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've got X-Perl, Bartender, Bagnon, Titan Panel, Gathere and Recount. That's about it i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

sorry, as kith said, i too am still using recount and bagnon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

What class are you going to play?? Makes a big difference imho

As it;s a post your addons thread.

Vuhdo - that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I use the following, across all characters...

SpartanUI (Fan Update version)
    OmniCC
    Bagnon
    Capping (for BG's)
    PowerAuras (I just like it)
    SCT
    TinyDPS (suits me fine as a replacement for Recount)
    Prat 3.0 (for chat)
    Badboy (for spammers)
    Carbonite (mostly for pvp as it shows a list of other faction players if near you, that and more tidy quest tracking and herbing/mining when it's eventually back working)

I'm not bothered with raiding so don't use DBM or anything like that at all and TinyDPS I only enable if I'm intending to do heroics, couldn't be bothered enabling it otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement