Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not really sure how to summarize this with a title

Options
  • 08-12-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice on re-connecting some network points around my house. It's fairly big, but built with stone so wireless is an issue in most of the house. As such, I'd like to put wireless routers in the kitchen and living room, which are at opposite ends of the house downstairs, and another upstairs.

We did a refurbishment on the house a year or two back and I never really got around to reconnecting the wireless etc after the cables were pulled around the place. As far as I know, they're all terminating in a cupboard under the stairs, where the external broadband connection is. Here, there's a two patch panels and what looks like most of the cables wired into the back of them. I have an eircom wireless zytel (one of the newer models) router in there, taking the broadband connection. In the living room I've a WRT45GL wireless router. A WAP54G wireless access point in the kitchen and a netgear router upstairs. All the routers apart from the eircom one, have DCHP disabled and I've given each fixed IP addresses, outside the DCHP range set on the eircom router. I've also configured each to transmit the same wireless SSID on the same channel and encryption as the eircom router.

Is this correct?

I have a desktop in a room, plus two laptops that I'd like to connect into the walls in three rooms, so I bought one of these to trace the cables.

I've had some problems with the cable testing but I was wondering if you guys had any thoughts on the wireless side of things to start with before I get into those!

Cheers,

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Sounds like you took a good, planned approach to the whole thing!

For the wireless side there is only one piece of advice - if your AP's use the same channels then they can interfere with each other.

Keep the SSID and passwords etc.. the same - but change the wifi channels on the AP's and try to keep adjacent ap's on different channels (use channels 1, 6 and 11 - these are the only 3 channels that are guaranteed not to overlap with each other).

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Really? I thought I needed them on the same channel so that if I walk around the house the connection won't drop? Actually now that I think about it, the connection is dropping all over the place. I might disable the wireless on the eircom router, that way I have three remaining access points to split between 1,6 and 11. Thanks for the advice. will ask other questions tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The client looks for AP's broadcasting the configured SSID and then chooses which one to connect to based on signal strength - nothing to do with the actual channel being used.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

Briliant Snaga, looks like everything is running smoothly. Just one other question.. the Netgear router just has WPA-PSK as a wireless security option. The others being WPA2-Psk etc etc. The linksys ones have WPA or WPA2 options with the added option of TKIP or AES encryption. Should I choose a specific one of those to be compatible with the netgear's WPA-PSK?

Advertisement