Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop for the mammy and daddy

• 08-12-2010 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey all,
    Looking for some advice. Im leaving the country soon and want to give my parents a laptop with a camera on it for skyping while Im away! I just need something simple that they can use the internet on, and maybe look at pictures on.

Anyone got any suggestions for a fairly reasonable priced laptops that would be good?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

i know you don't want to, but you'll have to name a price range if you want real help. You'll find more relevant info on teh laptops forum also. Do a quick search on it, as there's lots of threads on this kind of topic.

handy sites are dell.ie, laptopsdirect.ie, misco.ie, komplett.ie, elara.ie, pixmania.ie, and many more. online is good to get an idea of what you want, but occasionally you'll get a better bargain in tesco, argos, or pcworld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

get a laptop with a built in webcam

No need to go over the top with i3,i5 or i7 processor as it would be a waste for simple applications like skype that dont use alot of processing power or memory

Make sure there is wireless and LAN connection (RJ45) but this is all standard

I find Toshiba are well built, then again I got an advent laptop years ago and it still works fine. Its PC World own brand

The one brand I would advise to avoid is Packard Bell, but thats just my own opinion. Have heard Dell having manufacturing problems in Poland (not as good as the Paddy). Maybe teething problems with new factory. I was in US and guy in BestBuy told me they were having no problems with Dell (returns etc)

As previous person said check out Tesco etc, might get a good deal

Check out screen size your parents want, sometimes older people like a big screen. The bigger the screen usually adds cost.

Webcams with a USB can give problems, installing drivers etc. Built in much simpler. You will be getting Windows 7 . If all its for is skype you might get a good second hand deal. Sales men may ask how much you want to spend and will try to sell you one for that price or push you.

In PC World I notice sales men ask what you want and in fairness tell you whats on special and what is best value.

I would say go in, tell them a laptop with built in webcam for skype and after that best value

You might also consider a netbook, smaller and cheaper and usually have a built in webcam. Do have a smaller keyboard and screen but if its only for skype it may be the answer

mbiking123 wrote: »
    Sales men may ask how much you want to spend and will try to sell you one for that price or push you.

In PC World I notice sales men ask what you want and in fairness tell you whats on special and what is best value.
    I hope you're not trying to imply i'm a PC world salesman! :D

OP, it's easy to ask someone for what they want. They want everything. But then they see the price of what they want, and it's simply too much for them. I'd be concerned for anyone getting mislead by sales people in this way. I'm not saying all sales people are like this, but i simply do not trust them. Sorry!

Therefore, it's always in my own policy to ask for someones max budget. That way they know from the start the maximum they will spend, and i'll hunt for the best hardware at that price.

This is why i gave a number of sites in my last post. You should take a look at them, play with customisation on dell, compare prices across sites. When you have a better feel for the cost of the hardware you think you need, you're less likely to be fooled by sales people.

Now, mbiking recommends toshiba. They're grand, but i've never liked them (i am fussy though :P ). My best mate loves toshiba though. He got his in micropro in nutgrove, think they have sales going on a lot with toshiba laptops. I have a personal preference for HP or lenovo. When i went to Oz last year, i gave my dad a lenovo n200, it has a dual core centrino processor, 2gigs of ram, wireless & a built in camera. It runs windows 7 perfectly and he loves it. Price will be your only barrier, but you will get a decent laptop/netbook, but you're looking at €300-€500 range, possible under 300 if you find a bargain.

example: http://www.misco.ie/Product/172334/Lenovo_ThinkPad_SL510_Intel_Pentium_Dual_Core_T4500_15_6inch_2GB_320GB_DVDRW_Windows_7_Home_Premium_Laptop_Notebook

there are not a huge amount of laptop bargains in the last year imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Have a look at those links below. A netbook would be ideal for them. It will have built in webcam, wireless network etc. They are quite small and should fit the bill for what you specify.

http://elara.ie/products/notebookmain.asp?gp1=NOT&gp2=NBA&gp20=MEMC&gp21=PRFM&gp22=PRFM&gpget=NOT&gpget2=TAB

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/19972/xx/xx/3067/9/criteresn.html

I think PC World have cheaper netbooks

• Advertisement

mbiking123 wrote: »
    I think PC World have cheaper netbooks

Thinking, knowing = apples and pears.

A Fiat Panda is cheaper that a BMW. :rolleyes:

A Fiat Panda is cheaper that a BMW

I could buy a bmw cheaper than a Fiat Panda-you never stated new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Here....let's leave the pedanting where it belongs.....nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OP,

One thing you shouldnt do is buy them a netbook. I know all above mean well and netbooks have their uses. But from experience they are too small. Especially for parents.

i bought one for my mother (she aint a granny) and to be honest the screen is too dam small. They keys are large because of the design (its a HP) model eludes me at the moment but they keys are a great size.

Touch pad is also too small.

I can guarantee they will not thank you for straining with the screen size and typing closer together than a standard laptop. My advice would be to stick to 15.4 screens and above. Stay clear of netbooks they are not for the age bracket or half computer literate. I am sure you want them to have a comforatable conversation with you from the kitchen table :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

just make sure you put logmein or pcanywhere or similar on it. So if worst comes to worst, they just have to turn it on and plug it in and you can do the rest.

• Advertisement

Oh and the one you posted is ideal. Ive found Lenovo's are extremely well built platform based on the ibm thinkpads. altough the one you have specified i couldnt see webcam in the spec. looks like that in the picture but check the specs again.

listermint wrote: »
    Oh and the one you posted is ideal. Ive found Lenovo's are extremely well built platform based on the ibm thinkpads. altough the one you have specified i couldnt see webcam in the spec. looks like that in the picture but check the specs again.

meh?

Specifications
    Product Description Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 Notebook PC
    Processor
    Intel Pentium T4500 (2.30GHz)
    Hard Drive 320GB/5400rpm
    Networking
    Network adapter - Ethernet
    Fast Ethernet
    Gigabit Ethernet
    Bluetooth
    IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
    RAM
    2GB (installed) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1066 MHz
    Graphics Controller
    Mobile Intel GMA 4500MHD (GM45, 384MB)
    Built-in Devices
    Stereo speakers,
    wireless LAN aerial
    Bluetooth aerial
    Notebook Camera
    Integrated
    Display
    15.6' HD AntiGlare
    Optical Storage
    DVD±RW DL - integrated
    Card Reader
    7-in-1 (MMC/MS/MS Pro/SD/SDHC/XD/XD Type H), Express Card
    OS Provided
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Dimensions (WxDxH)
    29.5cm x 21cm x 2.87cm
    Weight
    1.1 kg
    Manufacturer Warranty
    1 year warranty

OP,

One thing you shouldnt do is buy them a netbook. I know all above mean well and netbooks have their uses. But from experience they are too small. Especially for parents.

i bought one for my mother (she aint a granny) and to be honest the screen is too dam small. They keys are large because of the design (its a HP) model eludes me at the moment but they keys are a great size.

Touch pad is also too small.

I can guarantee they will not thank you for straining with the screen size and typing closer together than a standard laptop. My advice would be to stick to 15.4 screens and above. Stay clear of netbooks they are not for the age bracket or half computer literate. I am sure you want them to have a comforatable conversation with you from the kitchen table :)

Oh dear me what a rant. The OP is looking for an inexpensive computer for his parents to do some surfing and Skype. A netbook fills this bill nicely. That fact that your not-so-old mammy has problems may be down to other issues. Many older people are quite at ease with computers and can hanle the small size adequately. Spectacles are useful... Are there daily newspapers with large type?

The keypad on a netbook is similar in size to a normal keyboard. At least mine is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We got a toshiba laptop from DID electrical for home use yesterday. It has a webcam, not really sure of full spec because we're not that technie but def wanted a webcam. I find DID and powercity good for laptop deals and find pc world, currys etc quite expensive plus they try the hardsell for warranties, insurance etc.

bette wrote: »
    Oh dear me what a rant. The OP is looking for an inexpensive computer for his parents to do some surfing and Skype. A netbook fills this bill nicely. That fact that your not-so-old mammy has problems may be down to other issues. Many older people are quite at ease with computers and can hanle the small size adequately. Spectacles are useful... Are there daily newspapers with large type?

The keypad on a netbook is similar in size to a normal keyboard. At least mine is!

Its not a rant, and oh dear me if he wants his parents to comfortable chat to him over skype with Video call, A netbook is a poor method to do this. So your claims that it is are not warranted.

Netbooks were designed to be used on the go. While its a perfectly acceptable purchase for the OP as they are 'traveling' it has little to gift in operation for his parents. So I am unsure as to why you are recommending it for solely home use :confused: very confused.

meh?

Specifications
    Product Description Lenovo ThinkPad SL510 Notebook PC
    Processor
    Intel Pentium T4500 (2.30GHz)
    Hard Drive 320GB/5400rpm
    Networking
    Network adapter - Ethernet
    Fast Ethernet
    Gigabit Ethernet
    Bluetooth
    IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n
    RAM
    2GB (installed) - DDR3 SDRAM - 1066 MHz
    Graphics Controller
    Mobile Intel GMA 4500MHD (GM45, 384MB)
    Built-in Devices
    Stereo speakers,
    wireless LAN aerial
    Bluetooth aerial
    Notebook Camera
    Integrated
    Display
    15.6' HD AntiGlare
    Optical Storage
    DVD±RW DL - integrated
    Card Reader
    7-in-1 (MMC/MS/MS Pro/SD/SDHC/XD/XD Type H), Express Card
    OS Provided
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    Dimensions (WxDxH)
    29.5cm x 21cm x 2.87cm
    Weight
    1.1 kg
    Manufacturer Warranty
    1 year warranty

Oppsie :D

Its not a rant, and oh dear me if he wants his parents to comfortable chat to him over skype with Video call, A netbook is a poor method to do this. So your claims that it is are not warranted.

Netbooks were designed to be used on the go. While its a perfectly acceptable purchase for the OP as they are 'traveling' it has little to gift in operation for his parents. So I am unsure as to why you are recommending it for solely home use :confused: very confused.

The message I got from the OP is that he wants a small machine so that his parents can do a little surfing and Skpe. They are not going into computer science or anything major. For that a netbook is ideal. I use one without any great difficulty and I'm not a youngster any more.

Perhaps your mother is prone to technophobia! If the parents of the OP want a bigger machine and will not be travelling then a better buy would be a desktop or tower with a big screen which would still be cheaper than a laptop!

I can't subscribe to your argument above as Skype will be adequate for sound with the benefit of the webcam which will show a decent sized image 12 x 19.5 cm to be precise! Beats a phone any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rascalini

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the replys! I get so bamboozled with speeds and memory and everything else that comes along wit computers that more often than not i just leave it!

I'm liking the idea of a netbook! I know what some are saying about the small screen etc, but im thinking of my mam sitting in front of the tv with it on her knee and not feeling it being there (if that makes sense!)

I was a bit afraid of going into a shop to buy it coz I dont want to be cajoled into buying something they dont necessarily need because it has so many gigs of this or that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

If you aren't up on all the techie stuff, don't worry, a good place to look and choose one is amazon.co.uk

Heres a decent one
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-15-6inch-Noteboook-Windows-Premium/dp/B003S3R7R0/ref=sr_1_14?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1292000199&sr=1-14

A lot of positive reviews of it

When I am buying something I don't know much about (have to get the sis an mp3 player for xmas).. then I go to amazon.co.uk... look up mp3 players.. list by 'bestselling' and then just check one with a lot of good reviews by buyers.

I am a strong advocate of netbooks, but they are designed for portability, I am sure the parents will love the bigger firmer keyboard and bigger touchpad of a decent laptop.

Just browse around amazon, if you find one you like but don't fancy getting it from amazon cos of exchange rate, then check irish sites if they have same model

www.pixmania.ie
    www.dabs.ie
    www.elara.ie

ps, if you do fancy a netbook style small thing, then 10 inch screen isnt your only option, there are 11.6 inch screens which people say is the perfect size and laptops with a 13.3 inch too

rascalini wrote: »
    I'm liking the idea of a netbook! I know what some are saying about the small screen etc, but im thinking of my mam sitting in front of the tv with it on her knee and not feeling it being there (if that makes sense!)
    Netbooks are great. But they like marmite, people either like them or hate them! Pesonally, I wouldn't buy one, but i still think they're good for different people or situations. HP have some lovely little netbooks with larger screens.
    I was a bit afraid of going into a shop to buy it coz I dont want to be cajoled into buying something they dont necessarily need because it has so many gigs of this or that!
    yeah, like i said before, look up some of the specs online. You don't have to understand the numbers, just get a feel for what speed numbers, and memory numbers, and screen size numbers that you can get for the price numbers :)

I always like to see people looking after the parents in this way. I set my dad up with a laptop when i went to Oz first. emigration is a tough thing to do, so it's a great way to keep in touch, especially with the video. You're more likely to get good value online, but if you're in dublin city centre at all, I'd be more than happy to go along to the shop & help you talk to the sales guys!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

- 1 for the netbooks. paint in the bottoms at the best of times, two in our house, both bad moves imo

- 1 for the netbooks. paint in the bottoms at the best of times, two in our house, both bad moves imo
    If one was bad enough that speaks volumes for the reasoning of having a second one! :mad:

I have one as well as a 17" laptop and several towers. Each machine has it's uses and the netbook is ideal for the small stuff, the stuff that mammy and daddy will be happy to use!

Could you enlighten us as to your rationale. we might all benefit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rascalini

Thanks for the offer woolymammoth unfortunately im in cork!

Seems netbook really divide the nation...ill research some more online and try come up with something...Thank you all so much for the advice!

Seems netbook really divide the nation...ill research some more online and try come up with something.!
    Do! And go into the shops for a look & feel at them. You don't have to talk to the sales guys, just tell them you're fine, or let them think you gonna buy and say you want to have a poke at the laptops/netbooks. You don't have to buy it, obviously, then you can compare to reviews online, compare what you felt with teh netbook to bigger laptops.. Netbooks are a market unto themselves. They're popular for a reason, that being that they suit lots of people. If you're going to be doing graphic design, or architectural engineering, or gaming, obviously a netbook just won't cut it!

HP do some lovely little netbooks with bigger screens;
    http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/HP_Mini-Note_PC/prod.asp (these ones are all identical hardware-wise)

Anyone who tries the 'too small for skype' argument clearly has never used skype before, and hasn't a clue what they're talking about. You can maximise the video to full screen. Can you imagine having a video phone with a 10 inch screen? :) It's feckin plenty big enough! feel free to ask here or pm any other questions on it!

Advertisement