Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I give up my job

Options
  • 08-12-2010 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Bit of a long story but i'll try to keep it short, I had a full time permenant job which was very close to home and was related to what I graduated in, however a part time temporary job arose in a great private sector workplace, I went for the job, got it and reduced by original job to part time also. Then the new job offered me full time for at least 3 months, so after thinking about it I gave up my orginal job for this temporary full time job. The problem is that this job involves a 2 and a half hour commute each day, get up at 5, not home till half 7. I thought I would like the work but to be honest the manager who said I would gain a lot of experience was just lying, I have gained no experience whatsoever, just sitting at a computer all day even though the job is highly practical based.

My question is should I give up this job if I am not happy with it? My contract is up in February but I don't think i can last that long, I'm off sick this week basically because I feel so run down, I really regret taking the job, do people think I would be mad to give it up? I don't think it'll be too easy to get another job but is health more important?

Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

but is health more important?

Yes, I think it is - but any financial obligations (mortgage etc) have to be considered too of course.

Do you mean 2.5 hours a day, or each way - I wouldn't have thought 1.15 minutes either way is that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

Is there any way that you could ask for your old job back, it wouldnt be that uncommon to do so and it may be worth a shot. If you are really that unhappy with it you should definately consider handing in your notice, there is no point in wishing your life away in a job that makes you unhappy. I find that if you are unhappy in work it can have a serious affect on your personal life too. Your health is far more important then job prospects.

If it was me I would stick it out for another couple of weeks whilst looking for work continuously during free time. I hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

eoin wrote: »
    Do you mean 2.5 hours a day, or each way - I wouldn't have thought 1.15 minutes either way is that bad?

No its 2.5 hours each way, I don't have any debt so at least that much.

I just feel as if there are a lot of people out there who would love to have a job so I should be very grateful and just battle in out, I'm also afraid that I might not get another job,

I'd love to get my old job back but I don't know if that would be possible, anyone ever been in a situation where they went back to their old job?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

A 5 hour commute per day isn't good.

You shouldn't feel any guilt if you're very unhappy with your job because others are out of work.

What's the worst that can happen if you approach your last company? Just make sure to think about the reasons you left there in the first place. It's not quite the same thing, but I read somewhere that most people who change their mind after handing in their notice end up resigning again within a year. That was the case for me anyway.

I know it's hard given that you've so little spare time, but start the job searching as soon as you can. I found that even starting the search could make me feel a little better as even knowing that you're doing something about leaving can make the current job a bit more bearable in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭encyclopedia

eoin wrote: »
    I found that even starting the search could make me feel a little better as even knowing that you're doing something about leaving can make the current job a bit more bearable in the short term.

Thats a very good point, knowing that you have made a decision to change and move on can often feel like a serious weight off your shoulders in these situations.

To the OP you should not allow peoples generalisations affect your mental stability, I personally feel that the "Aren't you lucky to have a job" statement is getting old and must have been created by businesses themselves. The absolute majority of the able workforce is working (85%+), there is no shame in quitting a job that you are unhappy with. A 5 hour commute every day must be difficult and costly too.

The fact that you have no debt is great, it gives you the option of being able to quit without having to worry about outside influences. I am not saying that you should quit i'm just saying that you should decide with a clear consience. In order to be happy in life we need to be happy in what we do.

Sorry if it comes across as philosophical preaching, its not how I intended to sound when originally posting :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Jakob

Sounds to me like you are unhappy in your job. I think the solution is a very simple one

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

How long would the commute be if you were drive yourself there?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I do drive there myself, I know its crazy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

anon_work wrote: »
    I do drive there myself, I know its crazy....

Sorry, but what were you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It costs me around 50 a week for a 15 min commute to work, the financial cost of the commute itself must be quite large

• Advertisement
Advertisement