Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Booze

Options
  • 08-12-2010 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Thought I'd give ye a heads up since Christmas is only around the corner! Was in Fine Wines in Westside last night and got a flyer with my drink for deals this weekend only.
    Not sure about everything but what tickled my fancy was Prosecco @ 6.99, Wine from 3.59 Blossom Hill for 4.99
    Not sure what the rest are but theres about 30 discounted for the weekend!
    Enjoy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

smirnoff 70cl €15 euro,jameson 70cl €20,saw these and remember been surprised of cheap beer prices on a few lines but cant remember exactly which ones when i was in o'learys in salthill yesterday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

howyanow wrote: »
    smirnoff 70cl €15 euro,jameson 70cl €20,saw these and remember been surprised of cheap beer prices on a few lines but cant remember exactly which ones when i was in o'learys in salthill yesterday
    These aren't even good value, they're just cheaper than the rip-off prices we get charged most of the time. Around xmas in England you can get big brand 70cl spirits for ~£10 and 2-3 crates of beer for £15 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭nerophis

Jameson is €16.99 in O'Briens, Paddy €16 in Dunnes for all your hot whiskey needs

goodman fionn very relevant point you make you head to england and bring it back for the rest of us.im sure this thread was posted as a means of the people of galway finding cheap booze as this is the galway city forum!im just pointing out a small business trying to compete with the multiples and trying to match their prices witout having the benefit of their thousands of grocery lines to re-coup margins they are losing on the alcohol.the day of the rip-off merchant is well and truly over and rightly so.

goodman fionn very relevant point you make
    I know my comments on the value of alcohol in a thread about the value of alcohol are relevant, but thanks for the verification.
    you head to england and bring it back for the rest of us
    Norn Iron would be easier tbh
    the day of the rip-off merchant is well and truly over and rightly so
    Pretty much what I said.

Dunnes (in Westside at least) seem to have some decent offers, as do Joyces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Joyces are selling 24x500ml carlsberg for 22€

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ye all missed the boat.

In November Joyces had deals on for 1 LITRE of smirnoff, bacardie and gin for 19.50 and 20 Euro. Thats the ONE LITRE bottles. that deal for the 70cl bottles at 16 euro sounds like a right rip off compared to it. :D

i think joyces were doing the same with tinned biscuits also,buy in early and try stimulate business before the rest react,good plan gives the customer a chance to spread out their christmas outlay and be prepared well in advance,also entices those who will buy drink with the best intentions of keeping it but who will probably be back there a week later.

ye all missed the boat.

In November Joyces had deals on for 1 LITRE of smirnoff, bacardie and gin for 19.50 and 20 Euro. Thats the ONE LITRE bottles. that deal for the 70cl bottles at 16 euro sounds like a right rip off compared to it. :D
    They're doing 70cl bottles of Cap'n Morgans for €18 as well I think, which is pretty good. Still though... £15 in the North even when not on special offer.

if your not talking about the same country then how does it become relevant to drink offers in this city?

• Advertisement

plonk wrote: »
    Joyces are selling 24x500ml carlsberg for 22€

thats 2 euro more expensive than what they were selling it for in November

joyces is in headford, knocknacarra and tuam

if your not talking about the same country then how does it become relevant to drink offers in this city?
    I was talking about drink offers in the city... by comparing them to other offers. If you can't understand that then commiserations, but let's carry on with the thread...

joyces is in headford, knocknacarra and tuam

Their third store is in Athenry not tuam.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Their third store is in Athenry not tuam.

They have a store in Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 gassdfres

Murphys 2euro a pint in the hole in the wall until the lunacy starts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

gassdfres wrote: »

It's been like that for a good while, few of us dropped in over a month ago for a couple of pints of it. So they'll probably keep it goin over the christmas. :P

snubbleste wrote: »
    They have a store in Tuam.

My bad, its just opened in fairness and I hadn't heard they were opening in Tuam.

fionn.each time you,ve posted you've mentioned england or norn ireland,no point making comparisons to these places as they're not relevant.

fionn.each time you,ve posted you've mentioned england or norn ireland,no point making comparisons to these places as they're not relevant.
    Discussing the value offered to Irish consumers by comparing it to neighbouring countries is relevent, I can't really spell it out in a more basic fashion for you I'm afraid, so you can just continue existing in your little bubble :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

northern ireland is good for cheap booze i hear

DRakE wrote: »
    northern ireland is good for cheap booze i hear
    Don't, you'll make him mad!

Discussing the value offered to Irish consumers by comparing it to neighbouring countries is relevent, I can't really spell it out in a more basic fashion for you I'm afraid, so you can just continue existing in your little bubble :)

There was great savings to be made a few years ago when the euro was very strong. But now the saving are minimal if atall, apart from special offers which you cannot count on. For instance a bottle of captain Morgan for 18 euro is less than in the north. In general there is only a few euro in the difference now between prices in the north and here.

Dont get me wrong I was all for going up north when you were buying things at half price but now its not worth going specially to shop for drink as you would spend more in petrol than you would save.

Obviously if you are going anyway/are visiting the UK thats a different story. The continent is where the real saving are made. I got a bottle of Jager for 10euro from a friend who was in Germany, they are 25 euro here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Jager is 17 in Joyces and 24x500ml cans of bud for 25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

That's quality...
    Murphy's is easily the best of the mass produced stouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

thats 2 euro more expensive than what they were selling it for in November

And it's the weaker 3.8% stuff

Has this not been the case for the last 3-4 years? And are you sure it's not Beamish.. wasn't even aware they did Murphys in HITW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Don't, you'll make him mad!
    You sir, are a tool!!!:mad:

Padkir wrote: »
    You sir, are a tool!!!:mad:
    Cute that you look out for your "Forum Friends", but calm down dear!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Is it just me, or is everyone (myself included hence the recent deserved warning ) fit to kill someone, so it just comes across here as snapping at someone else, cos we are all mad (and entitled to be so) at the situations we find ourselves in?

Advertisement